Hux

Member: Rank 6
Heavily moderated forums have a tendency to slowly but surely veer to the left and become very dull safe spaces.

Hi Hux,
Puzzled by that comment - left-veering but dull and safe...? Doubt Trotsky would see it that way, but maybe you've been on boards beyond my ken. I'd love to know what you actually mean by that - discussing TV/ films with actual party-political content I would get, but you've left me guessing so far....
Dull because only one political viewpoint dominates. Most heavily moderated forums I've used gradually push a strong PC agenda (as most trolls tend to express right wing slurs) which leads to an overall leaning to the left. Eventually, you end up with a forum where even the most tepid conservative opinions are dog piled and attacked. It makes for a tedious echo chamber.

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
free exchange of ideas and opinions. The politics board in particular had content that would be deleted or lead to banning on other forums but when people felt free to express their opinions (no matter how much they went against the mainstream) it lead to a lot of interesting conversations.
This is what I support the most. Discussions or arguments that lead to or are interesting are obviously welcome here. Political ones are to be watched by both parties, not just one side.

But the ones that are only about one saying yes and the other no or about who's right or wrong is just stupid and only leads to pissing one and another off for no reason other than seeing who's gonna go mental first and thát's what I want to prevent. NOt just by us as Staff but also by the members of this community.

You all shape it to what it is and can become. We just make sure it doesn't turn into a shitpool infested with spammer, trolls and bullies

@Hux I have no political agenda nor do I care :p I'm Libra and neutral, just the middleman keeping the peace!

Also would like to add that this is why we have Free for All, Soapbox, Political categories for all these discussions.
And the reason I made this little Safe Zone bit, where people can express their feelings or rant about something without being judged or getting into major arguments because someone doesnt agree.

All love here!

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Some forums I've used have tried to temper the trolling by having a special section on the forum that members have to specifically sign up to (often called The Basement or some equivalent). The idea being that YOU chose to go there despite knowing that it will be full of trolling, swearing and angry upsetting opinions.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Thanks, Hux - guess I've never strayed to such places - certainly the only Basements I entertain have cobwebs, faded aromas, aged wines and mystery fungi ... yours sound far worse.

DeJoHnNiE

The idea being that YOU chose to go there
This is what the Soapbox is for as it can get hot in there, so if a member can't deal with that, they should stay clear of that part. Politics is obviously politics, but again, no harm towards eachother, just debate and argue.

Trolls will never get their own place as that is the same as just giving up on the rest. If we do that then they win and I'd rather be the winner lol.

Swearing is allowed, anger is just an emotion. But flaming members or anything detailed in the rules is not allowed. You can say fck this and fck that, but no telling anyone just to fck off or go fck yourself or anything like that. There is no need to be rude to anyone nomatter how much you disagree with something :)

When we say something it should be something usefull and not to tell someone off. We can all be polite and still disagree in my opinion.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I have no problem with conservative view points. I'm as left as they come, and I support free speech. To a point. My issue on the old IMDb boards came from the alt-right who just come on to complain about "SJW this" and "liberal that" and weren't there to discuss or debate, but simply to cause a shitstorm. Also, when someone came on spewing hate speech and presenting it as a political viewpoint, only to get up in arms when people got upset (which was, of course, their goal), that got really old.

I'm sure we can all get along, though. You guys seem like good people.

CoriSCapnSkip

Member: Rank 2
Could trolls perhaps be handled by having a Block button but no Report button? This will spare the feelings of the sensitive without censoring interesting exchanges into oblivion. A notification could be attached to the Block button so that the administrator sees how many times a user has been blocked and could perhaps ban users with too many blocks.

CoriSCapnSkip

Member: Rank 2
It is impossible to fathom the depths with which I utterly execrate these wicked worthless wolves, Col Needham and Jeff Bezos, and all they and those like them represent. To call them wolves is a slander upon wildlife and to call them bastards is an insult to the illegitimate. I had barely settled into a passably normal sleep pattern following the disastrous 2016 election when these pinheads couldn't let well enough alone and restrain themselves despite all objections, remonstrances, and plain common sense, from obliterating the heart and soul of the best website in existence devoted to television and film and those who love these art forms. They now drive me to sitting up till 3:30 night after night, aching, exhausted, but relentless, seeking in some small way to offset their damages and make them suffer the consequences of their evil actions.

Their kind will eventually destroy all living things not counted among the 1%. I know my insignificant infinitesimal existence is doomed, slated to be wiped into oblivion just like the Internet Movie Database Message Boards, but this knowledge that every aspect of our existence is manipulated by malevolent millionaires has turned me into CAPTAIN FREAKING AHAB, and the system is MOBY FRICKING DICK! I will hurl my harpoon against its blubbery carcass until it drags me into the depths howling curses upon its miserable machinery with my last breath! The vital difference between me and Captain Ahab is, I am not alone. Thousands, nay, millions, will rise up hacking with harpoons to SLAY THE BEAST! If the LAST THING I DO is to wrench even a small piece out of the slimy hides of these robber barons before my utter and ignominious obliteration, my wretched and pointless existence will be justified!

May the Internet Movie Database sink without a trace and drown all rats who sail in her!

DeJoHnNiE

You can click on the avatar of members and then click the Ignore button here Screenshot_33.png

You can obviously ignore them all, however, some posts or people [depending on what they posted] have to be reported for their behaviour and the community has to understand the difference between the two.

I am not sure if we can see how many members ignore the same one, but I will figure this out and let you all know. But for the time being I am sure that we don't have anyone onsite atm that needs to be reported or ignored.

simply to cause a shitstorm. Also, when someone came on spewing hate speech and presenting it as a political viewpoint, only to get up in arms when people got upset (which was, of course, their goal), that got really old.
If that happens, please report it or let Staff know about it. Always take screenshots for proof as people can delete their own posts. We can see deleted post nomatter what though, so it's just to make sure you have something to support a report.

streak1981

Member: Rank 3
Can't believe I'm just now seeing this thread...

Anyway, one thing about the IMDb boards that used to really piss me off was the insane amount of atheists that would attack people who follow a belief system or religion (not putting anyone down, just stating a fact). I remember being called out on my beliefs a few times (I wasn't one of those users who spoke about my religious beliefs (Catholic), but anytime I mentioned God, I'd get ridiculed) in the past, & it was mentally jarring at how cruel & intolerant some people could be.

Mind you, I'm proud of my beliefs, mainly because they've gotten me through some really shitty times, but I just can't understand why some people have to put others down for not thinking the way they do?

As for my response to these disrespectful asshats, I pretty much told them all to go fuck themselves. Forgive me, but I just took my night meds, & I'm on the fence between sleepy & cranky at this point... I'm also craving sugar.

DeJoHnNiE

other IMDb sequel board
Wich one is the other sequel board?

Well, let me be one of the good Atheists who won't attack you. To each their own. I have my own views on religion, but I won't put you down for your belief if you won't witness to me, mate.
Thank you. *hugs*
I couldn't have said it any different or better.

You believe in one of thousands of gods, I just don't believe in the one you do, but that doesnt make us any different
You nor anyone else will be ridiculed for their beliefs or religion and not only because it's in the rules, but mostly because we are a community that supports each other in all our wierd ways

I love it when this happens and makes me happy AF!

streak1981

Member: Rank 3
Wich one is the other sequel board?

I couldn't have said it any different or better.

You believe in one of thousands of gods, I just don't believe in the one you do, but that doesnt make us any different
You nor anyone else will be ridiculed for their beliefs or religion and not only because it's in the rules, but mostly because we are a community that supports each other in all our wierd ways

I love it when this happens and makes me happy AF!
www.imdb2.freeforums.net

:emoji_beers::emoji_beers::emoji_beers: