DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
Embarrassing as this is to admit, I'm still struggling with being able to create a link....
Let me know if I can help, start a conversation with me if you want to discuss anything.

You can start whatever you like here and if it needs it's own category or multiple threads etc, jsut give a shout and we'll sort it

CoriSCapnSkip

Member: Rank 2
Posted the following as many times on Internet Movie Database's timeline as I could before being blocked from posting public comments (the notice implied anywhere on Facebook, but this one to my own timeline went through). The first item there was indeed four days old. As I went down the posts some were actually more recent but I had already written this and it wasn't worth changing.

Anyone? Wishing to start original threads on Oscar nominees, winners and non-winners, engage in interactive conversation on Academy Awards Ceremony events as they happen, or discuss other movie and TV topics of your choice? Tired of having to reply to unrelated items, the most recent being four days old?

This site https://www.moviechat.org archived all the posts Internet Movie Database cruelly and callously discarded. Both it and
http://www.themoviedb.org/ have individual boards for films and actors on which to post without having your contributions lost in a tidal wave of social media slush.
https://www.imdforums.com does not yet have individual movie and actor boards, but is an intelligently planned, professionally constructed movie discussion forum with many great features.

Any of these, or numerous other alternatives, beat the stuffing out of any sad tired little blurbs attempted by the has-been Internet Movie Database!

#DIEIMDbDIE #SHAMEONIMDb! #IMDbChokeonBrokenGlass

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Hitting "delete account" tab will not do it. It redirects you to other sites to sign in on.

Deleting all your information is not possible. They won't do it.

There is no place left to ask them a question so you can't get an answer from the site itself.

I'm open to suggestion although not hopeful I'll get one.

It seems to have been made impossible.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
The site now redirects you to community "help" forums; many of which have the same question posted and have been unsuccessful in their attempts to get answers and/or solve this problem. You click on "delete account" and are redirected to the IMDb FB forums, FB connections themselves, along with connections to Google &/or Twitter. It seems that there is no longer any onsite help of any kind available on a personal basis for any single question posed by a "member". We're being left with "the community" many of whom have been unable to solve this problem. I'm currently working on disconnecting them completely from my laptop although I'm pretty unhappy that I am unable to remove personal information of mine, posted on their website that apparently is no longer regarded as either personal or mine. I don't like that I can't remove my screen name or my email address from the site. I don't like that they are able to keep the appearance that I am both a current and active member of their site when I am neither and I regard it as a violation of my rights to free speech and privacy that they can control all of this while I (whose information it actually is) cannot.

It would seem that they can shut down the site, refuse to let us comment on it and then refuse to let us leave it all at the same time. Perhaps I'm having a particularly crabby day but I think this just stinks.

Tars Tarkas

Member: Rank 1
It just let me delete my account, no problem.

I had to log back in to do it, since the only reason for it in the first place was the boards, so I had logged out when they announced the board shutdown.

elanor

Member: Rank 3
Linkin Park - In the End
What it meant to me will eventually be
A memory of a time when
I tried so hard and got so far
But in the end it doesn't even matter

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
OK, so (remember, wacky Norwegian here) I just log out, then log back in, then hit delete account right?
Thanks Tars! And, by the by, I'm a huge fan of your avatar and thought JCoM was a great flick! But....
being ahem, Norwegian I've been told my taste is suspect!
:emoji_nerd: :emoji_no_good: :emoji_hugging:

Tars Tarkas

I don't know if you have to log out first, I just happened to have been logged out already before i tried deleting.

Maybe there were technical issues when you tried before, I don't know, but I just wanted to report in that it seemed to work for me. :emoji_relaxed:

I liked the JCoM movie as well! I think it was very underrated, mostly because it was marketed so poorly by the studio. I have also been a big fan of the books since I first found one in the library when i was a kid.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
I don't know if you have to log out first, I just happened to have been logged out already before i tried deleting.

Maybe there were technical issues when you tried before, I don't know, but I just wanted to report in that it seemed to work for me. :emoji_relaxed:

I liked the JCoM movie as well! I think it was very underrated, mostly because it was marketed so poorly by the studio. I have also been a big fan of the books since I first found one in the library when i was a kid.
Thanks for the tip anyway Tars!... and I get to my movies via books on a very regular basis. With Harry Potter, I waited until all the books had been released (I'm phenomenally unable to delay gratification when it comes to great reads) and then bought the series from Amazon UK because I wanted what Rowling wrote in her own country. I still re-read the books and rewatch the movies and still find new things about the story I hadn't noticed before because the world-building was so incredibly strong and the characters so fully fleshed out. Oddly enough, I also learn more about the books from the movies because seeing it happen jogs something loose about what was actually written.

My dearest wish and biggest fear is someone (HBO ideally) will take up the Jim Butcher Harry Dresden series and that JB will retain the kind of creative control that Rowling had for HP. I've spent hours "casting" the novels in my mind and would love to see it done as well as Jackson did with LOTR & TH. My biggest fear is that he wouldn't get it and the series will end up being "Hollywoodized" like Caleb Carr's series The Alienist... which I desperately want to see and am terrified by how badly TNT will/could screw it up completely.

With JB's novels, I re-read the entire series starting about a month before the release of the newest book so I'm as caught up as possible when it comes out. Then I power-read it in one sitting and go right back to page one when I finish to seriously mine it for content....

Wow... seeing that on the page makes me look like a deranged obsessive-compulsive with no life whatsoever!... which isn't true by the way!

:emoji_astonished: :emoji_flushed: :emoji_fearful: :emoji_no_good: :emoji_ok_woman: :emoji_shrug:

Anouk

That is interesting. Anyway, imdb did not keep posts forever. Older links will have disappeared anyway. I understand the need for this. For me, the good thing about imdb was how easy was to find anything. Just go to the film / episode you want to comment on and start writing. Sigh*** I miss them. But life goes on.

Anouk

Now it's done. I feel that we are all a bit in shock about losing the forums. I didn't always use to post, but I read comments,and I always loved to see the responses to my posts. I have never been bullied, at least I never felt like that, except for one forum about a well-regarded film (apparently for everybody except me), so I quite enjoyed my experience there. We will have to get out of it, but as everything in life, it will take time. Now we are all trying to read the old imdb posts that have been saved, missing the connections between movie data and the forums, and speaking about those other forums over and over again. But little by little other topics will show up, until we will speak about the films, performers, related staff... and that other website won't matter anymore. After all, they don't have any forums.

Anouk

About it being too expensive is not relevant now and when we reach that size, we will obviously have some sort of way to have people donate for example, but no need for any of that for at least a year depending on growth.
That is going to be an issue at some point. I am also a member of a book-related website that almost got closed down because of lack of funds. I have donated to it, but anything will be difficult to sustain if you need the commitment of many people, as most people is used to have everything for free on internet.

What worked for that website in the end was total transparency. Maintenance of the link, payment for the dominion names, etc... is xxx euros per year and we need to pay this next month and that in three months. They make constant updates, or maybe not constant, but once a month, of how much money is at the moment at the bank account.

Everything is done by unpaid volunteers, which can be better or worse than having it done by paid people. Better because it is cheaper. Worse because they have no obligation to keep their work, they can leave whenever they want, which creates a frantic feeling in the website if the departure is very sudden, like they did because of disagreements with the behaviour of the community.

Whatever decision you make / will take, I would advise you / the team of imdforums to be really honest and transparent and keep the community informed as much as you can.

Last edited:

Anouk

1. What is your first memory or first record of the IMDb Message Boards?
--- I used to write a lot of synopses of films. My first one was of the last episode of an unsuccessful Spanish series. I can't remember about my first post in the forums. I remember specially writing the synopsis for Gone with the Wind and making some comments on the forums about that film. Not the first, but this was some years ago.

2. What subject were you on (if using the boards when the announcement appeared) or what subject were you going to post about when you first saw the announcement?
--- Can't remember. This was recent, but can't recall. The announcement had already been up for some visits until I got to read it.

3. Was your content wiped or your account deleted before you could do so?
-- My account is still there. I had to ask for permission to be able to post on synopses and such. I have already added two movie synopses. But so far it is still working. Same nick same password.

Anouk

Either they are stupid - or it makes sense to them for some financial reason in the long run.

All very odd though, to totally remove the one reason that most people visited you for. :confused:
Well, the reason they have given to the community is that there were not enough users and maintenance had become extremely expensive. Many people were using facebook and related sites to comment and didn't even visited the forums anymore, or that's what they said. I have never seen their facebook page, because I don't understand that is useful to anybody. It must be completely chaos with random topics one after the other, or people just replying to one lame comment done by some representative of the managers of that website. It is not that I am going to check it out. I like my facebook page to be clean and tidy and only relate to real people I know. There are more than enough advertisements and marketing anyway.

Last edited: