DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
I want to know if I can put my feet up on the ottoman....
would a lamp look good here??
Yes you can and if you think it looks good there, go for it :p I'll leave the deco to you

I really was wanting to use this....
Now you can frame it, tell your kids and grandkinds: This we used in the old days to get rid of trolls and bullies. Now we have a safe place.

Harry Skywalker

Member: Rank 1
I just ran an honesty translator over it! The results are astonishing!:

IMDb Message Boards Announcement

The IMDb message boards were disabled on February 20, 2017. This included Private Message system. IMDb is passionately committed to providing absolutely no way for our hundreds of millions of users to engage and communicate with one another. We will continue to not enhance our current offerings and launch absolutely no new features at all in 2017 and, beyond that, will continue to not help our customers communicate and express themselves in any way at all - meaningful or otherwise - while also ignoring emerging technologies and opportunities. For more information, see the Completely Ignored and Pointless Questions.
That honesty translator would might be a bit of handy during the United States Elections.

Donald Fart and Hilarity Clinton using the Honesty Translator in the debates:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
They have, I think, destroyed themselves - or at least reduced themselves to a much less significant site - in the long term.

The only question is why?

Either they are stupid - or it makes sense to them for some financial reason in the long run.

All very odd though, to totally remove the one reason that most people visited you for. :confused:

CoriSCapnSkip

Member: Rank 2
A decade of my life gone like that.
Yep, 17 years of mine were actually gone a little earlier because they didn't like the suggestions regarding retaliations I posted (I didn't originate them all, but did compile the best, added my own, and shared as widely as possible), so they wiped all my content and deleted my account! So under my original account I can't even log in! As far as they are concerned, I don't exist! The only thing I archived of my message board posts were a list of threads in which I posted--well over 1,000!* They earned what they have coming.

*I saved all of my reviews, and some of my longer and more detailed posts are on other sites. I will very gladly share all of these and more on a new combined site whenever available!

CoriSCapnSkip

Well, I know IMDb will lose at least one viewer; me. I'm thinking of blocking the IMDb so that I can't even visit it by accident.
I'm not doing that until it's decided whether enough people plan to participate in leaving 1-star reviews to make it worthwhile. I have a fake account ready but am not logged in now, nor will I log in until this issue is worked out.

CoriSCapnSkip

1. What is your first memory or first record of the IMDb Message Boards?

--My earliest remaining post was on the original film of Cheaper by the Dozen and was dated October 11, 2003, but I had been a member since February 2000 so obviously well over three years' worth of my posts were already lost.

2. What subject were you on (if using the boards when the announcement appeared) or what subject were you going to post about when you first saw the announcement?

--I first saw the announcement on February 11 when I went on following A Hard Day's Night airing on TCM. I wanted to ask whether anyone could verify lyrics differences between the movie and album versions of at least two songs. Still don't have an answer. Stayed online till 3:30 a.m. that night and I believe every night since, largely due to this situation.

3. Was your content wiped or your account deleted before you could do so?

--All remaining content of mine was removed following my posting a list of useful suggestions for actions regarding retaliation, but the account itself was still up. I logged off to create a dummy account. The next time I tried to log in with my original account, it was gone. I don't know whether this was some sort of deliberate afterthought or happened for any other reason. They wouldn't remove accounts of everyone who ever used the boards when they removed the boards, or would they? Anyone know?

Hux

Member: Rank 6
The reason I liked IMDb was the very fact that it wasn't moderated. Sure, you got endless trolling but you also got a free exchange of ideas and opinions. The politics board in particular had content that would be deleted or lead to banning on other forums but when people felt free to express their opinions (no matter how much they went against the mainstream) it lead to a lot of interesting conversations.

Heavily moderated forums have a tendency to slowly but surely veer to the left and become very dull safe spaces.

I don't think it's relevant here as it's currently a small community.

We'll see what happens if that changes though.

Tuco

I have been searching, and so far almost every title I put into keywords is not there. Sure I can start a thread, but I can't think of anything intelligent to say right now. It seems like I am the only one interested in those movies...sigh. :emoji_gem:
@Gema What are a few of the titles that you'd like to discuss?

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
@sitenoise @Hux @CoriSCapnSkip

I agree with all of you and I can promise that none of the above will happen here. I have said it many times and will repeat it as much as I need to and hope everyone else will reply the same to other new members that come here for, mostly, the same reasons.

Yes you all can express your opinions and yes there is freedom of speech, but there will be no bullying or trolling the good members of this site and we will have zero tolerance towards anyone who thinks we are joking about this.

We all want to be able to speak your mind and also have others disagree with that but without the namecalling or flaming or however you want to call it. We are a community and we need to keep eachother in check. Heated arguments can happen but this will be done in a civil way as normal human beings and as we were sitting in the same room. If you don't like or can not take the heat, leave the room but don't start any shit here or rules will be enforced.

Are you saying that if that person started that thread here, you'd delete it? Or that you'd let it stand, but delete the post that called the OP an imbecile?
Delete, no. Yes I let that go if it would make any sense and no, I would delete the namecalling and will politely ask the member to not do that, point them to the rules and let it carry on. If two [or more] people cannot have a useless argument that leads to negative bs, then they have no place here.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Anyone else remember the very olden days of the BBC boards? I only ever went to play on the Buffy board there and was very sad when they were closed - for economy savings rather than nastiness as far as I know. Then I had lots of fun playing on a bespoke Being Human board before it was retired because "everyone" had bogged off to Twitter. Or something. Still miss those lovely people - we had some insane synchronised rewatches.... now if I just steer clear here of peeving people who start things "for fun" that then turn out to have quite crabby implied rules that I failed to notice, I might not get nagged at again, and stick around. Most people here are very welcoming, so thank you, folks.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Heavily moderated forums have a tendency to slowly but surely veer to the left and become very dull safe spaces.

Hi Hux,
Puzzled by that comment - left-veering but dull and safe...? Doubt Trotsky would see it that way, but maybe you've been on boards beyond my ken. I'd love to know what you actually mean by that - discussing TV/ films with actual party-political content I would get, but you've left me guessing so far....