Fun Our Even Earlier Posts!

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
@Gooey

Hi - Loved your post - I genuinely didn't understand a word of it (and I like a challenge) - thus it must be when former IMDb posters are read by former lurkers? ...and yet here is where we meet. And possibly bewilder each other a bit. Add with any luck meet again elsewhere on some other thread.
PS Great name!
Don't worry, Carol, it all made perfect sense. Everyone who was active on the IMDb message boards are still finding their feet, their new homes - and in some cases their new identities - since those message boards disappeared.

This may sound strange, but I rather like this BRAVE NEW WORLD...

Gooey

Member: Rank 1
Hey, Gooey, how are you? It's really good to hear from you. How's life on the post-apocalyptic - or at least the post-IMDb - internet treating you?

I'm glad to hear that some of the Watercooler regulars have managed to stay in touch with each other. By the sounds of it, your message board must be doing all right.
OK, getting a hang of things a bit. Ass-E9 and I have been posting just about everywhere trying to spur discussion. It looks more active than it is, but it seems to be slowly encouraging others to post outside of the 'food' and Watercooler boards. There are only 40 members, and of whom only a dozen or so post. The activity isn't bad considering...

I certainly hope so. Have you heard from Drunkbear? He seemed to take the demise of the IMDb message boards especially hard.
No sign of Drunkbear.

Take care of yourself and please send my best regards to all the guys. One of these days, I might just show up to say, "G'day," in person. Or at least I will if this damn laptop doesn't make it too difficult for me to do so. It's very temperamental, but the problem is, so am I. :emoji_wink:

I'm in conflict with a group?! :emoji_astonished:

Don't worry, I'll go easy on them. :emoji_grin:
In case anyone is mystified about what my board is: http://s15.zetaboards.com/IMDb_tribute_Gooey/index/ I don't mean to 'steal' anyone away from this site, but it can't hurt to know where people are at.

ant-mac

In case anyone is mystified about what my board is: http://s15.zetaboards.com/IMDb_tribute_Gooey/index/ I don't mean to 'steal' anyone away from this site, but it can't hurt to know where people are at.
Don't worry, Gooey, I know your intentions are genuine and honourable.

It's important for people who formed friendships with others on the IMDb message boards to be able to find each other again and remain in contact. I was lucky that some of my friends from there showed up here.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to make contact.

I hope Drunkbear shows up - and I don't mean on the evening news. :emoji_wink:

Cheers.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
I think this forum will evolve into its own thing (less IMDB orientated). Moviechat is the one that might do well as a place to find and discuss specific films, actors etc.

ant-mac

MovieTVForums

It seems like an accurate and fair appraisal of our current situation.

Hopefully, we will survive, but only time will tell.
Well, that's quite the compliment coming from a staff member. I'm glad you agree with my assessment, and I really think your forum has a lot to offer. I hope it does well.

MovieTVForums

I think this forum will evolve into its own thing (less IMDB orientated).
I hope you're right, and I think that would be a good thing. There are so many IMDb clones out there right now, that it's probably better to be something different.

Moviechat is the one that might do well as a place to find and discuss specific films, actors etc.
Movie Chat, IMDbArchive, and One Movie Avenue all have IMDb archives on specific films. I personally think One Movie Avenue is the most visually-appealing.

Last edited:

Nick91

Member: Rank 2
I hope you're right, and I think that would be a good thing. There are so many IMDb clones out there right now, that it's probably better to be something different.

Movie Chat, IMDbArchive, and One Movie Avenue all have IMDb archives on specific films. I personally think One Movie Avenue is the most visually-appealing.
The problem I have with One Movie Avenue is that it has high-quality pictures for individual actors/actresses/other people without any permission from the copyright holders.

MovieTVForums

The problem I have with One Movie Avenue is that it has high-quality pictures for individual actors/actresses/other people without any permission from the copyright holders.
Well, you really got me thinking.

One Movie Avenue uses TMDb for their source material. TMDb is a user-editable database, like Wikipedia. Both Wikipedia and TMDb seem to rely on the user to make sure they have the right to upload content: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Image_use_policy and https://www.themoviedb.org/terms-of-use, but they will delete illegal content. I guess if Wikipedia can get away with policies like that, TMDb can get away with it. If you feel a copyright is being violated, by all means, contact TMDb. I'd be very curious to hear what they say.

TMDb has been around since 2008, and a lot of entities use it for their source material including Plex, Letterboxd, and Movie Forums, as well as One Movie Avenue, so I would hope it's legit.

Last edited:

MovieTVForums

I dug a little deeper, and use of those photos generally falls under Fair Use, much the same way a book reviewer can quote excerpts of a book in a review, and anyone can post a trailer of a movie on YouTube, but not the whole movie.

The courts look at how much the use of the content affects the marketability for the copyright holder. It's my understanding that most of the photos that are put out there are promotional material, and the copyright belongs to the studio or agency. They don't really care if IMDb, TMDb, One Movie Avenue, or any other site succeeds or fails using their photos: They just want to get their photos out there as much as possible to sell a movie or celebrity. If I published a book, I'd much rather have reviewers quoting it in their reviews, than no one quoting--or reviewing--it at all.

These, of course, are generalizations. Again, if you think a copyright is being violated, please contact TMDb. And let us know what they say.

MovieTVForums

@MovieTVForums
for setting that up and giving us a review. Much appreciated.

If you need any info that you cannot find here, feel free to ask us here or via PM.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks, DeJoHnNiE. That means a lot to me. I plan on updating the reviews frequently as the sites change and I learn more about them, so I will not hesitate to ask. I appreciate the offer. And you keep up the good work, too!

Nick91

Well, you really got me thinking.

One Movie Avenue uses TMDb for their source material. TMDb is a user-editable database, like Wikipedia. Both Wikipedia and TMDb seem to rely on the user to make sure they have the right to upload content: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Image_use_policy and https://www.themoviedb.org/terms-of-use, but they will delete illegal content. I guess if Wikipedia can get away with policies like that, TMDb can get away with it. If you feel a copyright is being violated, by all means, contact TMDb. I'd be very curious to hear what they say.

TMDb has been around since 2008, and a lot of entities use it for their source material including Plex, Letterboxd, and Movie Forums, as well as One Movie Avenue, so I would hope it's legit.
Wikipedia is quite strict when it comes to their image policy. If an uploaded picture (to any of the Wikimedia Foundation sites) doesn't have at least an attribution, then it could be deleted in just a matter of hours. I'm not that familiar with TMDb, but clicking on any of the pictures of individual actors only shows which user uploaded it. Wikipedia's images, on the other hand, all have their licensing rights displayed for everyone to see.

You have a point about the Fair Use Doctrine, but does that really apply for individual celebrities outside of trailers, posters, and movie scenes stills? I bet quite a few of the pictures are taken by photographers at things like red carpet events. But ultimately, if TMDb has been around for so many years without any problems, then I guess it will continue that way in the future.

By the way, the whole 'reviewing the alternative sites' idea is good.
Right after the IMDb announcement in February, I first arrived at IMDB v.2.0. I still visit it from time to time, but just a few seconds ago, I noticed something peculiar: Guests aren't able to read any threads at the moment! Well, except the Westerns section, for some reason, lol. I wonder if this is temporary or if the administrator has decided to permanently hide the boards for non-menbers? If it's the latter, then how will that affect the rate at which new visitors come there, like what they see, and decide to register? For John Carter's own sake, let's hope it's the former...

Nick91

By the way, the whole 'reviewing the alternative sites' idea is good.
Right after the IMDb announcement in February, I first arrived at IMDB v.2.0. I still visit it from time to time, but just a few seconds ago, I noticed something peculiar: Guests aren't able to read any threads at the moment! Well, except the Westerns section, for some reason, lol. I wonder if this is temporary or if the administrator has decided to permanently hide the boards for non-menbers? If it's the latter, then how will that affect the rate at which new visitors come there, like what they see, and decide to register? For John Carter's own sake, let's hope it's the former...
We have our answer in this thread. For those who can't read it, the administrator says that this is an "indefinite" change, meaning that all the threads will be invisible for those who aren't registered on the site. The reason? Well, one of them is "lurkers causing problems on the (ahem) other sites for the members here. Just making it a little more difficult for them."

To be completely honest, I have no idea what that means. What exactly is the issue? :emoji_confused:All I know is that it could have a detrimental effect on IMDB v.2.0's membership growth. Basically, if visitors stumble upon the site for the first time, they'll see a bunch of empty categories/sections and probably leave right away.

When it comes to marketing, you generally want the customer to know what they're getting from a certain product or service. If a visitor finds his or her way over to this site, they'll first browse through all the existing threads. Most likely, they'll see at least one thread that they find interesting enough to want to contribute to. In best case scenario, they will sign up and be part of the community.

The Gotboard-like exclusivity that IMDB v2.0. has implemented only works if human curiosity is stronger than human laziness to bother first signing up and then decide whether it's a good place to visit or not.

Thoughts? For IMDF, this could possibly be an opportunity to get a larger percentage of the "market share".

duzit

Member: Rank 6
Don't you think it's a way to increase the amount of member numbers? Making you join just to be
able to check out what the site has to offer, is to me just adding empty memberships. Have no idea
why they would want to do this. Just my thoughts on the situation◆◆◆♡♡♡