chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
THE MOTION PICTURE - Boring. Visually spectacular, but dull. Rehashed "villain", too much exposition, too little action.
THE WRATH OF KHAN - The best of the batch. Brought back one of the best villains of the original series, did an updated take on the episode Balance of Terror, and Spock's death. If you make it through Amazing Grace without crying, you have no soul.
THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK - Reverend Jim and Dan Fielding as Klingons? Too right, mate! Seriously, I have an unnatural love for Klingon stories, and they are awesome in this. The conflict of McCoy carrying Spock inside his head, the thought of The Enterprise being sent to a shipyard, the crew coming together for a fallen comrade is just inspiring. And Kirk losing his son sets up some great tension for later movies.
THE VOYAGE HOME - Ah, the eighties. Where social issues were overtaking everything, and everything had to have a message (not that I'm complaining, I'm a pretty political guy). And since STAR TREK always tackled hot button issues, Nimoy used this platform to bring his message to the masses. And it was awesome! No real villain, just the threat of losing the Earth if the mission fails.
THE FINAL FRONTIER - As stated, I hate this film. It might have been good, but the search for god in the STAR TREK universe seemed off to me. I have only ever watched it all the way through twice (the first time at a double screening with INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE - guess which movie I liked more).
THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY - Klingons! Rogue Vulcan! Intrigue! Kirk's hatred for his long time enemies, increased by their part in his son's death, and Sulu gets command of his own ship! Christopher Plummer is fantastic in this, and a formidable enemy for Kirk and company.
GENERATIONS - Does this one count? Okay. Some really good stuff going on in this film. But I hate Data and his dealing with his emotion chip. There was too little Kirk for the amount of buzz that was created for the Kirk/Picard team-up. Malcom McDowell seems to flip between being bored and scenery chewing. Saw it in the theatre with a group of friends (all three of whom were all mistaken in their belief that Kirk was a better captain than Picard).

Hux

Member: Rank 6
THE MOTION PICTURE - Hated it for a long time but developing a new found appreciation for its cerebral qualities as time goes by.
THE WRATH OF KHAN - Good action and a necessary move away from the first.
THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK - Pretty weak.
THE VOYAGE HOME - The least Sci-fi but a fun romp.
THE FINAL FRONTIER - The one where Kirk fights God. Sigh. No.
THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY - This one was good fun.
GENERATIONS - Had its moments but mostly a poor entry.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

Pine and Quinto have signed contracts to return as Kirk and Spock for a fourth film. In July 2016, Abrams confirmed plans for a fourth film, and stated that Chris Hemsworth would return as Kirk's father, George, who he played in the prologue of the first film. Later that month, Paramount confirmed the return of Hemsworth as well as most of the Beyond cast, producers Abrams and Lindsey Weber, and writers J. D. Payne and Patrick McKay. That same month, Abrams had said that Yelchin's role will not be recast.

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

I'm still ashamed that I haven't yet watched BEYOND. That being said, I'm not sure another time travel story is right to do, but that's not my call.

Yelchin's death was a shock. While it's right not to recast, it will feel a bit off that he isn't there.
I completely agree. Of course, they could CGI him, like Tarkin in ROGUE ONE. But...no, let's not do that.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I'm still ashamed that I haven't yet watched BEYOND. That being said, I'm not sure another time travel story is right to do, but that's not my call.
I haven't seen it yet either. However, I always enjoy a good time travel story. In fact, I once heard of a TV series that was almost entirely devoted to this concept. Can you imagine that?
I completely agree. Of course, they could CGI him, like Tarkin in ROGUE ONE. But...no, let's not do that.
I completely agree. Just put Chekov's absence - for whatever reason they end up giving - down to one of the many differences between the various timelines.

chainsaw_metal1

However, I always enjoy a good time travel story. In fact, I once heard of a TV series that was almost entirely devoted to this concept. Can you imagine that?
Now that you mention it, I do recall several attempts to make a TV series based on BILL & TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE. None of them were near the quality of the movie, though.

Doctor Omega

The TREKS That Never Were!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_God_Thing

Star Trek: The God Thing is an unproduced film script written by Star Trek series creator Gene Roddenberry.

Following the success of Star Trek in broadcast syndication during the early 1970s, Paramount Pictures sought to produce a feature film based on the property.

The film's plot follows the Enterprise crew after the events of The Original Series: when an alien entity declares itself God and begins travel to Earth,

Admiral James T. Kirk reunites the crew, who send it back to its own dimension.

Roddenberry completed the story on June 30, 1976, but Paramount rejected the script for reasons Roddenberry attributed to the religious views of company executives.

The story was rewritten as "In Thy Image" for the proposed television series Star Trek: Phase II and then as Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

After Paramount rejected the film, Roddenberry sought to produce The God Thing as a novel in the late 1970s.

He signed a deal with Bantam Books to publish it, but was given extensions because of his work; first on Phase II and then The Motion Picture.

During this period, Star Trek actor Walter Koenig helped Roddenberry expand the novel.

In 1991, shortly before Roddenberry's death, his assistant Susan Sackett rediscovered the work on the novel.

She contacted Pocket Books, which wanted to publish it.

Discussions to hire Sackett and Fred Bronson to expand it to novel length were held, but negotiations stopped after Roddenberry's death and Sackett's dismissal from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Michael Jan Friedman was later engaged to expand the work but it went unpublished.

The God Thing
has been compared to the film Star Trek V: The Final Frontier that dealt with similar religious concepts.

The Plot: (Hidden, in case this thing ever gets novelised or adapted into a graphic novel....)

The five-year mission of Star Trek has finished and the crew has moved on from their postings on the starship Enterprise. Captain James T. Kirk has been promoted to Admiral, Doctor Leonard McCoy has left Starfleet to become a veterinarian, and other crew members have been given desk jobs. Engineer Montgomery Scott has become an alcoholic through boredom.[2] Spock has returned to his home planet, Vulcan, where he was seeking to control the human half of his persona.[3][4]

After an alien entity declaring itself to be God destroys spacecraft en route to Earth, the Enterprise is launched under the command of Admiral Kirk to engage the vessel.

He re-assembles the former crew, including Spock, and sets out to intercept the alien.

As they approach the entity, it transports a humanoid probe on board the Enterprise that takes a variety of forms—including that of Jesus.

The crew determine that the being and its craft are from an alternate dimension and have been responsible for the creation of religion of numerous planets to teach their inhabitants its laws in a manner understandable at their points in development.

The being is malfunctioning; the crew repair it and send it back to its own dimension

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Chris Pine Hasn’t Heard Anything About Next Star Trek Movie + Paramount Searching For New CEO

In an interview promoting Armani fragrances, actor Chris Pine spoke briefly (and vaguely) about the follow-up to Star Trek Beyond. More info on that plus Zoe Saldana is gearing up to return to Pandora and there is news on a Paramount management shakeup.

"I haven’t really heard anything about it. I haven’t gotten the script, so we will see what happens. But, I love – I love this group of people." Chris Pine

Another recent bit of news related to Star Trek is that director James Cameron is gearing up for production on the next Avatar film. Shooting should start in August. So even if there were movement this year on a new Star Trek film, it looks like Zoe Saldana (who is currently filming Avengers: Infinity War) will be unavailable for the rest of the year and maybe longer (especially if Cameron follows through on shooting Avatar 2, 3 and 4 back to back).

Another factor with regards to the next Star Trek movie is that Paramount is in the midst of a management shakeup, with CEO Brad Grey stepping down last week. It was under Grey’s 12-year reign at Paramount that JJ Abrams was brought in to reboot the Trek franchise as a tentpole property. And of course it was under Grey’s leadership that a 4th JJ Abrams-produced Star Trek film was announced last July. However after the studio posted a major loss for 2016, he was shown the door. While Star Trek Beyond was the studio’s highest grossing film for the year, it still under-performed expectations.

Grey wanted to move the studio forward, but the problem for Grey was that he picked a bad time to have his worst year, with the studio at the bottom of the heap in 2016, losing $455 million for the fiscal year that ended in September. Sequels didn’t work: Star Trek Beyond, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows, Zoolander 2, and Jack Reacher: Never Go Back were way down from previous outings.

Hux

It was only a one-off original series episode but DS9 (and later Enterprise) ran with it and the mirror universe has become a part of the Trek tradition.

Did you like the episodes? Did they make any sense?

How exactly can a reality exist parallel to ours with the exact same people? (the same people had sex with the same people... really?). And how exactly is Vic (a hologram character) a real person in the mirror universe?

And is it just me, or is there an increase of goatee beards in evil realities?

Doctor Omega

I like the concept of the Mirror Universe. I think there is always a danger though that it is more entertaining to spend time in that Universe, with it's conflict and drama than in the more spartan and friendly Rodenberry Universe! I even like that opening title sequence above better! lol :emoji_alien:

chainsaw_metal1

I liked how Enterprise gave us an explanation for when the other timeline began, and why. I think it did work the best in the original series, because you could do more weird stories in that era. But the episodes are fun, and it's interesting to explore that realm, even if you have to suspend disbelief a little more. Maybe we should be glad that Abrams wasn't a bigger Star Trek fan, and didn't do a movie set in that universe.

And is it just me, or is there an increase of goatee beards in evil realities?
I'd love to see a parody of it where everyone has a goatee, women included.

Gavin

VIP
Star Trek has been fairly influential and/or prophetic in the development of technology since the original series. We've now got communicators (mobile phones) that are probably at a higher standard than those suggested by the original series. We've got laptops and tablets smaller and more versatile than those shown in TNG.

What else?
  • Mobile phones combined with the right apps and linked to sensory equipment are well on the way to matching tricorders.
  • 3D printing is the first step along the path to replicators. Next step is to be able to print with different/multiple materials. The ultimate would be the ability to print at an atomic level (which I don't think is theoretically impossible).
We're obviously still nowhere on faster than light travel or transporters (and quite possibly never will be). But what other developments are on the way?

chainsaw_metal1

3D printing is the first step along the path to replicators. Next step is to be able to print with different/multiple materials. The ultimate would be the ability to print at an atomic level (which I don't think is theoretically impossible).
A buddy of mine was telling me about how in one college class he's in, they're learning about how to basically build meat from simple strands of animal tissue. The meat is then grown in a petri dish, like a culture. Not only is it one tool to help combat world hunger, but the basic theory of it could be applied to food replicators. Fascinating stuff.

While we may not be close to traveling faster than the speed of light, they are working out the probability of warp travel, as far as warping space to travel long distances in a fraction of the time. I'd reckon we'll have that one worked out in another 50 years (fat load of good that does me - how am I going to travel to distant worlds and bang alien chicks like Kirk if I'm in my 90s?).