skribb

Member: Rank 1
"one board per title" alternative:
1. Users may submit new boards using a form and a team of moderators approve/disprove boards. (perhaps a user has to pay 50 cents or something to submit a board title to discourage abuse and trolls -OR- only reputable users (people who have e.g 100 karma) may submit new board suggestions)

2. Boards will be separated into main genre and decade and within the decade section, users may post threads about any movie/tvshow/youtube/eiposde/netflix as long as they include its title in every thread name. Any thread that doesn't contain a product title will be deleted instantly. Again a team of moderators amd volunteers will moderate the boards.

3. Boards will be divided into several niches in addition to IMDB's already established niche boards like anime, film noir, and star trek. Famous directors/studios/actors/genres will have their own boards and everything else can be posted in "misc TV" , "misc movies", "misc cartoons" etc. For example the anime board will be divided into decades and a few subgenres (like horror, mecha, comedy, fantasy, samurai...). The previously mentioned idea will allow for specific discussions while at the same time reduces the huge number of boards that would be required if each title had its own board.

skribb

would it be possible to reduce the width of the boards? Making it like 1000 pixels wide is much more easily surveyable than having it take up the entire screen.
Compare to IMDB that has about 800px wide boards.

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
StarTalk Added!

would it be possible to reduce the width of the boards? Making it like 1000 pixels wide is much more easily surveyable than having it take up the entire screen.
Compare to IMDB that has about 800px wide boards.

I have no doubt this is possible, but no idea if I can, so that's for Alex when he gets back :)

Franchise and Network boards coming

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
Click the "Upload File" Button (lower right in the Fast Reply. Or below the message in the Full Editor). Then Choose 'Thumbnail' or 'Full Image'.

I think they may be still working on how the image shows up. Either inline or by clicking 'View Attachment'.

m.jpg

Ahstaroth

So how to do we get one consolidated website?

I'm a member of IMDB 2.0, and it seems like they are on their way to be "the" IMDB replacement. I think it would be a shame for the first one out of the chute to get that distinction, just because it was the first, especially when I consider their forum software to be inferior. Plus. there's no way they are going to get to keep that name/URL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahstaroth

I kind of like that the GOT forums adopted the more-or-less similar theming of IMDB. I am not a member there (yet) but it made me feel at home.

Lucas

I kind of like that the GOT forums adopted the more-or-less similar theming of IMDB. I am not a member there (yet) but it made me feel at home.
They easily have the best looking forums right now and one that I'd really love to see used in whatever IMDb replacement ends up being the best one.

skribb

I like it too but I think it just MAY infringe on IMDB's trade dress. Mimicking the imdb logo and forum design is legally risky.

Lucas

I like it too but I think it just MAY infringe on IMDB's trade dress. Mimicking the imdb logo and forum design is legally risky.
Oh yeah there's no way we'll get away with it looking exactly like that, a lot will have to be changed but it is possible to get close enough so it can still capture the same feeling but still be unique enough that it can be its own thing.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
It's also completely unnecessary and unwarranted.

What's wrong with coming up with an original colour scheme and design?

Keep it basic and easy to understand and you can't go too far wrong.

skribb

It's also completely unnecessary and unwarranted.

What's wrong with coming up with an original colour scheme and design?

Keep it basic and easy to understand and you can't go too far wrong.
I disagree that it's unwarranted. The obvious answer is that it will make imdbers feel at home.

Personally I am all for changing the design. I remember when I started using imdb i thought the boards looked awful, but then I got used to them.

But that will be up to Trinity because she's in charge of GOTboard design.....

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I disagree that it's unwarranted. The obvious answer is that it will make imdbers feel at home.
Are they incapable of dealing with change?

If so, they're in trouble, because life is change.
Personally I am all for changing the design. I remember when I started using imdb i thought the boards looked awful, but then I got used to them.
It certainly doesn't need to be anything complicated or drastically different.

Just keep it plain and simple and user friendly.
But that will be up to Trinity because she's in charge of GOTboard design.....
I'm not concerned with another website, just this one.

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
Not sure if this is a 'Theme' issue or otherwise:

I'd love a couple summary lines in both the 'alerts' dropdown and on the Alerts page itself. A lot of the time that would be enough to know you don't need to visit the thread.

Heeeeey

Member: Rank 2
Just a question

Why is there an RSS icon in every topic?

Last edited by a moderator:

skribb

I'm concerned with all 3 imdb refuge sites thus far. Frankly I just see them as different facets of a soon-to-be unified community (personal aspiration mind you, feel free to dissent and disagree).

And i wouldn't say people are incapable of dealing with change (as someone who suffers from anxiety disorder, even I am not "incapable" of dealing with change, but it sure takes a toll on me). But familiarity is always nice.