Harry Skywalker

Member: Rank 1
How about a gaming section divided up into board games, video games and other games?

That would be more comprehensive.
Honestly I think that Videogames should be a separated entity. I think it always works better this way. It gives a lot more traffic.

It might be too early to worry about that just yet, but it's certainly worth considering in greater depth as the forum grows.
That's very good to hear. This forum surely has a lot of potential.

By the way, are you guys thinking about changing its design later? Or at least to give many different layout options (like on IMDb)?

I'm gonna be honest: one thing I think it may not grab more IMDb users to register on IMDF is because this design feels really flat.

I know it's just for now, but I think you guys could at least try to give it a better design even if it's just mid-term/temporary.

;)

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
I'm designer by nature, I love to design. What you see as flat I see as simply beautiful :)

I know there are a LOT of things yet to fix and I'm waiting for some major changes in the Xenforo next release to implement them because I don't want to work double for my job to go to waste when I'll upgrade, either way, the forum software is already complex enough, if you don't paint complex with simplicity, the user can feel overwhelmed by everything and may want to go away.

The older way of doing things is not used anymore, things change. The design must fit a tablet, a smarphone, a big screen, if you make complex enough it will look bad on those devices and it will slow the site down in the process, finding a balance is really hard.

Anyway, I can assure you the design is going to get improved (a lot) on the course of this year, this is a very large project for me and I don't pretend to leave it abandoned at all. Besides, being the one in charge of design, servers and software licenses, I need to balance my time available.

I'm not going to ask people to dontate to improve the site, that's lame. Hell there are even other forums where the admins won't pay to make the forums.. what kind of commitment long-term can you expect from someone that does not want to pay for managing a good forum?.

I state this again, this project is very long-term, I'll take care of the payments, the software, the design. I only ask the community to enjoy it and give good pieces of advice in the Suggestion threads and from time to time, as the forum grows, get more people to join as moderators, report wrong post and ilegal stuff and we will turn into a real happy family.

The secret is always cooperation and helping each other. So, if you think the design is flat, try and be more specific and point where could improve in the suggestion thread as a new thread and I'll be happy to discuss what can be improved.

Harry Skywalker

Flat is the new and improved modern beauty. It's where design is these days. I'm not necessarily a fan but this site feels more attractive to me than the nostalgic look of the other contenders.
Honestly I don't agree at all.

At the first when people linked me to this site I didn't take it very seriously at first because... its design was just blah, honestly.

And many people I know from IMDb are not registering on IMDF because of that. They even tell me "Hey, that forum you've linked to me, IMDF, that looks really awkward. I think I'm gonna choose the other one".

I'm just stating what has been happening. The first impression is extremely important. This can be worked out and be improved, obviously. ;)

Harry Skywalker

I'm designer by nature, I love to design. What you see as flat I see as simply beautiful :)

I know there are a LOT of things yet to fix and I'm waiting for some major changes in the Xenforo next release to implement them because I don't want to work double for my job to go to waste when I'll upgrade, either way, the forum software is already complex enough, if you don't paint complex with simplicity, the user can feel overwhelmed by everything and may want to go away.

The older way of doing things is not used anymore, things change. The design must fit a tablet, a smarphone, a big screen, if you make complex enough it will look bad on those devices and it will slow the site down in the process, finding a balance is really hard.

Anyway, I can assure you the design is going to get improved (a lot) on the course of this year, this is a very large project for me and I don't pretend to leave it abandoned at all. Besides, being the one in charge of design, servers and software licenses, I need to balance my time available.

I'm not going to ask people to dontate to improve the site, that's lame. Hell there are even other forums where the admins won't pay to make the forums.. what kind of commitment long-term can you expect from someone that does not want to pay for managing a good forum?.

I state this again, this project is very long-term, I'll take care of the payments, the software, the design. I only ask the community to enjoy it and give good pieces of advice in the Suggestion threads and from time to time, as the forum grows, get more people to join as moderators, report wrong post and ilegal stuff and we will turn into a real happy family.

The secret is always cooperation and helping each other. So, if you think the design is flat, try and be more specific and point where could improve in the suggestion thread as a new thread and I'll be happy to discuss what can be improved.
I'm not asking for complexity, what I'm saying is that too simplicity just feels awkward.

Let give you an example of a site that has been extremely praised by its design. It's a forum from my favorite Portuguese club - Benfica (I'm from Portugal), SerBenfiquista:

http://serbenfiquista.com/forum/

http://serbenfiquista.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

This is just perfect.

Harry Skywalker

By the way: how the hell does the pages thread scroll work???

I can't go to Page 8! I keep bouncing between Page 1 and Page 9. I can't go to a specific page...

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
Honestly, what you're commenting is just a personal taste. I don't see that site as being better than this one and I've designed forums since the first versions of phpBB from more than 9 years ago.

I can't make a special version for each person that comes asking. I can, on the other hand, make the best use of my abilities to come up with a forum that is nice to the vast majority while still mantaining stuff I want to put. I can't turn this forum into something else because you don't like simplicity because then It will not be my creation. I think you can understand.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
By the way: how the hell does the pages thread scroll work???

I can't go to Page 8! I keep bouncing between Page 1 and Page 9. I can't go to a specific page...
That's a bug I'm fixing. It shouldn't do that.
Relax and take it easy, I'm not charging any service here you know :) It is gonna get fixed.

duzit

Member: Rank 6
@sitenoise

"I don't think links/url s/members have any color, or not much at all"

Isn't that a little strange to not have links in color? :):rolleyes:

Harry Skywalker

Honestly, what you're commenting is just a personal taste. I don't see that site as being better than this one and I've designed forums since the first versions of phpBB from more than 9 years ago.

I can't make a special version for each person that comes asking. I can, on the other hand, make the best use of my abilities to come up with a forum that is nice to the vast majority while still mantaining stuff I want to put. I can't turn this forum into something else because you don't like simplicity because then It will not be my creation. I think you can understand.
Attention, I was just talking about its design which you've already stated you guys are always gonna try to improve.

I'm not talking about functionalities or even potential, because this one is the one with greater potential.

;)

Heeeeey

Member: Rank 2
@Heeeeey

Hi,
I'm asking you because of your mobile experience. I'm not seeing any color hi-lite for any links/url s/members, no hi-lite of anything. Is this a mobile problem or a site issue? Any info will be appreciated,
thanks...:)♡♡♡
It must have to do with the webmaster of the site. If you look on the eBay or IMDb app, at the bottom in small print, there's an option to leave the mobile interface and switch to the desktop interface. On eBay it says, 'classic site', and on IMDb it says 'desktop'. It's way at the bottom.

CoriSCapnSkip

So far I am on five alternate forums if you count the private invite-only place which invited only 100 people. I don't know how active that one will be, and kept a record of what/where it is but didn't bookmark it. Right now I have no opinion on which is or will be best overall, especially as all are in the formative stages. As they continue to develop, I do hope to see a consensus on the best design and features and when those are agreed upon see a merged site, but you may want to let each develop for now and see which proves most popular or best.

CoriSCapnSkip

I'm on five new sites now and hardly have time to look at the boards on each, let alone form an opinion on which is the best overall. I'd rather see one or two totally awesome sites become dominant, than 30 or 40 piddling ones never getting together.

skribb

So far I am on five alternate forums if you count the private invite-only place which invited only 100 people. I don't know how active that one will be, and kept a record of what/where it is but didn't bookmark it. Right now I have no opinion on which is or will be best overall, especially as all are in the formative stages. As they continue to develop, I do hope to see a consensus on the best design and features and when those are agreed upon see a merged site, but you may want to let each develop for now and see which proves most popular or best.
agreed

duzit

Member: Rank 6
I'm wondering if one of your four is MovieChat.org and what you think of it?...:):):)

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
- the Videogames board should be just one and not separated between different gaming platforms. I think that doesn't make much sense, at least for now. Having only one board gives us much more dynamic conversations. I think it should be only the Video Games board
The platforms have different consoles like PS2, 3 and 4 or Xbox 360 and the One. Then there are console exclusive games that could get their own thread like that. If we throw them all into one place then it will be impossible to extend different threads for different consoles or games.
I was thinking of even giving each their own Category but this will do just fine for now. I'd rather have the space than giving up some in a later staduim :)

aiming to have individual message boards to individual movies, TV shows and actors
We have no idea how it will look eventually, but someone has to start somewhere somehow. We don't have enough to say we have a system, but we do want to achieve that in the end. It IS possible at this moment.

NOt sure what you meant with mainpage mess, but the main page is main categories and sub cat's, then comes the threads and individual ones.

The search should work fine as far as I know and tried. If a thread exists it should pop up.

I was just talking about its design
Can you maybe elaborate on that and give some suggestions. I have a hard time seeing what you mean with this. And it doesnt get any different after looking at those furoms you linked ;)

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
The thing about IMDb discussions ... you couldn't search them, google didn't index them, so how did so many people end up there talking about so many weird things, from "Ozu's influence on Koreeda" to whether "grab them by the pussy" is offensive, or not?

That giant sucking sound you hear is celebrity gossip. It's a magnet, and then ... "Well since I'm here ...."

I don't know how any web site without a giant sucking sound could hope to be the best place on the Internet to talk about everything on earth.

These new forums are searchable, indexed by google. "Well, since I'm here ...."