Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
Talking on imdb would help a lot.

Thanks for the compliments, it really is tons of hard work but its not completed yet, this is an eternal work in progress and one I'm sure everyone will love !

shigui

Member: Rank 1
We can actually implement "merit points", a fine category in which people got promoted by being "useful"

Users of the forum read the replies and when something is good or very good, the people will get a reward, with sufficient rewards the person is considered of a higher rank, not because of how many post he has done, but because how many likes he/she accumulated, which means people are really liking what the person is writing.

Furthermore you can remove the post count functionality and only implement the merit ranks, which I believe is the way to go. Because, yes, a higher ranking person means he/she received more merit for clear answers and he can be trusted.

Either way, the merits wont affect the normal forum functioning and the users can totally ignore ranks if they like, there is no penalization whatsoever for people who don't get likes.

It's just a tool that can be implemented to improve the quality of interactions.
That sounds like Nosedive from Black Mirror

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
All of this sounds absolutely fascinating.

I can't wait to see what sort of ranking system we end up with - if we end up with one at all.

I must say that I personally like the idea of the "merit point" system.

The idea has... merit.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
:p:p:p

Yes it can be done and it will be done, it's just i need to finish all the urgent stuff first :)

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
Please please, if you do a merit system, allow users to not play in that sandbox by letting them not display whatever it is. That's tech board stuff. This isn't a competition, lol.

Just my $.02

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
But I want a place to have discussions about movies and tv shows though. :(
You can!

You can create a thread for a movie/tv show/etc and then that will be thé thread for that specific [content] and if something is super popular that it requires their own section then we will create a section for that, like the Franchises [Star Wars/Trek, Dr Who, etc].

Ok, I'll be the one to ask. What's our plan for individual boards (movies, actors, etc.)? No expectations here. Just wanted to hear what you were thinking.

Also, do we have a Classic Film board?
Individual ones are already there, for movies/actors/etc, and open for anything. If in doubt or want anything specific feel free to ask!

Classic Films Board is added! I can't understand why it wasn't there before since there is a Classic Tv one as well. Maybe missed it in setting the place up. There are a LOT of different ones and we tried to add as much as possible on the 1st day. Thank you for noticing!

https://www.imdforums.com/forums/classic-films.170/

to IMF, enjoy your stay!

elanor

Member: Rank 3
Still a lot of work to do for the red to look perfect :)
I like the red skin. Simply because I prefer warm colours. I prefer the design of this site to the IMDb site.

My largest problem is that the nesting is not possible here. I always used the "nest" view at IMDb, because I like to read a discussion along a nested thread following the line of thought.

A suggestion: I would very much like if a linked URL is easily identifiable by colour (for instance blue) or font. Otherwise one might overlook links.

And if the clicked link changes colour (for instance violet)it would be even nicer IMO. I know that the design looks better as you did it, but the usability IMO is improved by recognisable links.

Last edited:

Elessar

Member: Rank 2
Some of my small suggestions, excuses-me if they have been already posted by someone else, I can't read the whole thread for it:

- On the homepage, the fontsize of the box's titles is too big (Site Feedback & Troubleshooting, Suggestions & Feedback etc.)
while the fontsize of thread titles is okay.
It makes the homepage look childish, and too long to scroll the mouse.
But if I reduce the fontsize by Ctrl+-, the fontsize of thread titles would become too small.

- Below each post, the "Report" button doesn't look like a button and many people may click on it by accident. At least the "Like" and "Reply" buttons look okay.

- I think the name IMDforums, or IMDf, is much better than IM.
It must remind people of IMDb, and would attract IMDbers alumni.
The name is very important (the most important thing). If you choose an unfamiliar name, there's no reason new people would choose this board. At the moment, they come here ALL from the imdb2 forums.
I don't see any legal issue with the name IMDforums either.

DeJoHnNiE

Some of my small suggestions, excuses-me if they have been already posted by someone else, I can't read the whole thread for it:

- On the homepage, the fontsize of the box's titles is too big (Site Feedback & Troubleshooting, Suggestions & Feedback etc.)
But if I reduce the fontsize by Ctrl+-, the fontsize of thread titles would become too small.

- Below each post, the "Report" button doesn't look like a button and many people may click on it by accident. At least the "Like" and "Reply" buttons look okay.

The name is very important (the most important thing). If you choose an unfamiliar name, there's no reason new people would choose this board. At the moment, they come here ALL from the imdb2 forums.
I agree about the homepage, this will be looked into and improved at time. It's just the 2 of us and only one can do the coding, so please bare with us for a while.

Giving the report button a little change to make it look like a button is no problem, we will deffo improve a lot in the next few days.

About the name. There are members that agree and disagree about the name and logo, read here https://www.imdforums.com/threads/about-the-logo.64/ and we will see where that goes. Anything is up for change if the majority wants to, so keep them suggestions coming!

We are all about giving the members a warm and familiar place to be after IMDb pulls the plug and allthough we do as much as we can to please most, it will be really difficult to please everyone, but we try the best we can ;)

sailthesky

Some Helpful Suggestions

Hello, you don't know me but I came across this forum because someone posted it in one of my threads. I took a look around and I think I can offer some suggestions that may help your forums clutter and some non-layout suggestions. I know that you're trying to make this forum super similar to IMDB, which makes sense, however I think that IMDB's way of listing their forums was a scroll fest. Then again I barely visited their Message Board area and only posted on specific movies/tv shows that were on their own pages.

Either way, here are some suggestions.

1. This is a simple forum, which it should be since you don't want to scare people away with a hard to navigate skin. However, don't be afraid to be a bit bolder with your skin. There are skins out there that are fit for huge boards with a lot of topic areas. You just have to know where to find them.
  2. I think that the forums could be shaped better. What I mean by that is:

If you need me to elaborate more on this, let me know.
  3. You are going to need a lot of forum moderators that are willing to volunteer their time each day observing and policing the forums.
  4. You are also going to need to have a zero tolerance level for trolls. They shouldn't be accepted period and were a huge problem on IMDB. With that in mind, you also need to create a Terms and Conditions thread this is short and sweet to the point about what can and cannot happen on these forums. That way, your moderators know what to police and who to warn/ban from posting.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeJoHnNiE

Thank you so much for the information. At the moment it is just the two of us [admins] and a few helpful members that are doing most of the work.

Everything you said is true and this will happen asap. Just one of us can do coding and [as you call it] skin stuff, so this will be done and answered when he gets to it. Please be patient tyvm...

Rules/Guidelines etc will be implemented asap too as I said to you on IMDb, this will include a zero tolerance on spamming/trolling and bullying in any shape or form. However, not having these in place yet is no reason for anyone to harrass or bully someone else.

This Forum will be shaped by the community mostly and there will also be more Moderators to maintain the Forum and the Peace. We like to have Freedom of Speech, so everything is allowed as long as it not harrasment, bulliying or trolling towards our members or the site.

Thanks for the time and effort to join us and share this. The only thing we want to achieve is having a proper, dedicated alternative when IMdb pulls the plug.

DeJoHnNiE

The only way to make that happen is to invite them to here, advertise it everywhere where you can and convince IMDb members wich is the best place to be. We and 2.0 are not the only ones that made a new place or trying to get the members to one spot after IMDb pulls the plug on the Boards.

Most think that the url will cause trouble too but we won't know until that actually happens I guess. The best thing we can do is be patient and work hard to maintain a good name and hope everyone else will flock to the place to be.

skribb

I'm just a neutral user and observer but it's clear you have the most mature board. The other boards have descended into trolling and childishness already. You don't need to merge. Yours will so clearly be the real alternative. Not an IMDB sequel but a big movie board on its own. Keep doing your great work. I'm only one person but I thank you for it.
Please direct me to this childishness as i really want to see it myself!

skribb

yeah i asked on TMDB and they said Amazon have never approached them legally since they started 8 years ago. So there shouldn't be a problem naming a website "IMDF"

Elessar

Member: Rank 2
If there ever need to be a ranking system, I think basing it on how many Like each member receives, is the most suitable. The Like button, or the Like counting, is already there and doesn't need more work.

As to what purpose the ranking system serves, I don't know...
I don't really like a VIP or Private forum.
More fancy Titles up with the Like Counting, why not.
Over some Like Counting requirement, freely custom title (except "Admin, Staff etc." title), why not.

People can get Like for sheer joy and satisfaction, not for any concrete goal.

Last edited: