skribb

Member: Rank 1
Out of curiosity, what is the main difference between The SandBox and The Watercooler? If these two sections have a similar purpose, then perhaps they can be merged into one? If so, I think Watercooler would be the best name for it, since the term "sandbox" usually makes me think of a testing/experimenting area before implementing something (for IT-related things, at least).
Defo agree

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
  • Moved messages from the Watercooler to Sandbox
  • Rename Sandbox to Free for All to distance from IMDb similarities

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
If we wanted to *PIN* a thread or two at the top of the Asian Cinema Forum, would that be possible?

I imagine it's not something you'd open up willy nilly--who would decide what's pinworthy?

I can provide details of what I'm thinking about if you'd like.

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
Anything you think needs to be pinned or if others agree said thread needs pinning, can be done. Let us know in a thread or PM. No problen whatsoever.

Most what happens here is done by you all, the members, and we like to give you all the choices that can be done.

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
Cool. I should have asked about this in a PM. I don't want you guys distracted by a thousand Tom, Dick, and Sherries who think they deserve their threads pinned.

We're a pretty small, close group with a sort of patron saint whose recommendation threads would benefit us and new visitors alike if they were pinned.

If this does open a can of worms, and you'd prefer I delete my post here, let me know.

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
Don't worry, we can take it. Anything that is popular or relevant for new and old members can be pinned and I am pretty sure you all are capable of knowing when or wich threads need pinning. When we miss it (we will obv pin stuff to for your conveniance) feel free to let us know please :D

cinema

I don't have the slightest problem of them using their own forums. But being the tech guy I am, I do see the problem of running a huge forum inside a free account on proboards. Sooner or later they'll get into trouble. I started several projects from the ground up and I had to endure problem after problem to learn the basics. Now I know the things needs to be done so the project don't enter trouble waters afterwards.

I did gave my advice, they all agreed to make a new forum. I did the new forum and now they are all debating. I can only say this:

- I did my best to offer the best technical solution to the board problem that can grow huge in size.
- I have faith in my technical experience and I know I can manage this without having to depend on outside services.
- I pay the licenses to the software, I hire personal and I rent servers without asking anyone to help me do all of this stuff.

Now let the community decide where does they want to start a really huge community. I am only offering an option and I have no problems in sharing the community with other boards, I am not pretending to be the asnwer, I just offered a good planned option and one that i have faith its gonna work right from the begining.
I'm just a neutral user and observer but it's clear you have the most mature board. The other boards have descended into trolling and childishness already. You don't need to merge. Yours will so clearly be the real alternative. Not an IMDB sequel but a big movie board on its own. Keep doing your great work. I'm only one person but I thank you for it.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
Clearly you're not the only one who agrees and I thank each and everyone of you for that.

Also I thank you for your kind words. When you work so hard to make something work properly, with a well thought plan, there's no better gift that someone on the other side telling you you're doing a good job.

I'm flattered, really.

cinema

Individual boards/threads

Ok, I'll be the one to ask. What's our plan for individual boards (movies, actors, etc.)? No expectations here. Just wanted to hear what you were thinking.

Also, do we have a Classic Film board?

Last edited by a moderator:

filmfan95

Member: Rank 3
I don't believe it's possible to have a board for each individual movie. That would be to much for the administrators to keep track of.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
Imposible to mantain, in fact, why do you think imdb is closing the boards?. Yes, exactly, it got out of hand, way out of hand. What we can do is create subforums for movies that are requested by the majority of the community, we will do polls for that.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
They are here !

Check it out !. Not for each individual series but you can discuss in the TV section your favorite TV shows, thats for sure !