the badwolf

Member: Rank 1
Stay blind his loss of eyesight at this point has been stated to be permanent by the doctor himself, it is probably unlikely this will be the case but it is possible he will stay blind until he regenerates. It would be an interesting thing to explore for a while what does everyone think

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Stay blind his loss of eyesight at this point has been stated to be permanent by the doctor himself, it is probably unlikely this will be the case but it is possible he will stay blind until he regenerates. It would be an interesting thing to explore for a while what does everyone think
I don't see any problem in this particular piece of character development. After all, as a Time Lord he has many different gifts that we've seen him display over the years. Perhaps it's time to see some of them again - or perhaps some new ones.

Either way, it doesn't seem to be slowing him up that much.

Ever seen BLIND FURY?

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Missy to leave

deep-breath-missy.jpg

Michelle Gomez has revealed that she's leaving the Doctor Who TV series.

Gomez has played villain Missy since 2014 and said she is leaving because the show's star Peter Capaldi and head writer Steven Moffat are going at Christmas.

"My pals are going so I'm going," Gomez told RadioTimes.com. "Everybody's leaving, so I'm going too. I mean, what would I do without Peter and Steven? Who would I be?

"Nah, it's done now. It's over. It's the end of a chapter."

persia

Member: Rank 1
Ok, so my thought is that the Corpse Monks are similar to the Peter Pratt Master. The whole plot seems to be to get the Doctor's companion to give away the Earth, Bill was the only one who could give the Earth with love. My guess is that the Master(s) are trying to take the regenerations the High Council gave to the Doctor.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
It might make it more interesting. I actually fell asleep a couple of times during tonight's episode. Of course, I have been up since a little before 6 am, worked a long day, and then started drinking. But still, usually Doctor Who keeps my interest enough to stay awake.

Doctor Omega

Peter Capaldi’s regeneration will be “like no other” claim Doctor Who insiders

"Expect the unexpected" when the current Time Lord hands over the keys to the Tardis

Peter_Capaldi_s_regeneration_will_be__like_no_other__claim_Doctor_Who_insiders.jpg

Peter Capaldi’s regeneration into the next Doctor will be “like no other” say show insiders.

The moment when the Twelfth Doctor hands over to the Thirteenth is of course still shrouded in secrecy but the indications are that Capaldi will go out in style.

“Just because we have done it one way in the past doesn’t mean we will do it the same way again – in fact you can definitely expect the unexpected when the time comes,” said a senior source on the show.

Speculation is of course rife about who Capaldi's successor will be – with Kris Marshall, Sacha Dhawan and Phoebe Waller-Bridge all thought to be in the frame – but the manner and the timing of his departure has also got fans guessing.

Will he be replaced in the Christmas special which follows the current series? Or will he regenerate mid-series in a surprise move?

Capaldi's final scenes are expected to be filmed in the summer for a likely handover during the Christmas special which marks Moffat’s last episode of the drama.

Last month Capaldi himself claimed that the pivotal scene has already been shot – and that the Twelfth incarnation “goes out a fighter”.

"I did [the regeneration] the other day," Capaldi told the Sydney Morning Herald. "It was a strange day. It was explosive. He goes out a fighter."

Capaldi may be referring to the regeneration scene already glimpsed in the below trailer, which most fans believe to be a "fake-out" in the vein of similar halted regenerations for David Tennant and Matt Smith’s former Doctors.

One theory is that Capaldi’s Doctor will begin to regenerate this series only for the process to be stopped for some reason. It will then be completed in the Christmas special when he transforms into incoming showrunner Chris Chibnall's new Doctor, the suggestion goes.

Chibnall has already started pre-production on the show and is currently talking to writers and sketching out ideas for his series arc when he starts, add sources.

His tenure is expected to begin when he writes the final scene of the Christmas special and begins in earnest with series 11 which will film next year for a possible broadcast in Autumn 2018.

As for who will actually land the new role, well-placed BBC drama sources suggest that a decision has still not been made.

"The new Doctor has to be approved by the top brass but ultimately it is the choice of Chris Chibnall and [incoming executive producer] Matt Strevens because the new Doctor has to work with them.

"Of course if they choose their gran for the role questions must be asked but ultimately the decision is theirs."

Doctor Omega

Michelle Gomez says Missy could return to Doctor Who one day

"I am willing to find out at a later date," said Gomez on the possibility of a comeback

Michelle_Gomez_says_Missy_could_return_to_Doctor_Who_one_day.jpg

Hold on to your black straw hats, Whovians: Michelle Gomez might not be through with Doctor Who just yet.

Although her character, rogue Time Lord Missy, was last seen in the series 10 finale apparently zapped to death by previous incarnation The Master, Gomez recently hinted she could re-materialise at some point in the future (or the past).

When asked by TVLine at the San Diego Comic-Con if the actor would return, Gomez said: "Probably not. I think that's enough of Missy now. It's good to know when to leave the party.

"It was a jolly good party, but time to leave – and then maybe come back, but time to leave for now.

"It feels like this was a chapter – a perfect chapter, actually – with [showrunner] Steven [Moffat] and Peter [Capaldi]. I don't know about being a Master to another Doctor. I feel very loyal to Peter and I don't know how that would work, but I am willing to find out at a later date."

(Yes, we have unashamedly underlined the relevant sections for emphasis)

That’s right: Missy could maybe return at later date. You know, just like how John Simm’s version of The Master miraculously reappeared on the show after seven years. Is it possible we’ll see Missy ripping off a disguise in 2024?

Missy isn’t the only mischievous Gallifreyan who could make a comeback either. Simm himself recently hinted his version of The Master could be back again.

"You know what, I don't know," said Simm when asked if he’d come back to the show by Doctor Who Magazine (issue 514). "I mean, I wouldn't have thought in a million years that I'd be back [in 2017], yet here I am talking about it. So never say never."

You never know: Simm and Gomez could reunite for another multi-master story in a few years time – maybe with another incarnation thrown into the mix.

Doctor Omega

How_Doctor_Who_boss_Chris_Chibnall_tricked_us_all_about_not_casting_a_female_Doctor.jpg

Jodie-Whittaker-space.jpg

A provocative question, but one that, perhaps, needs asking.....

Do you think this is actually going to work?

What factors could, in your opinion, make this new incarnation and new era an outstanding success?

And what other factors could make it an abject failure?

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Agreed. Shame we can't watch all 12 of those Classic Years in full.

Also perhaps a shame that we can't lose a few of the Modern episodes! I would happily swap a few of these newfangled over-glossy things , in order to get some of the lost 97 back! :emoji_grin:

Doctor Omega

If Q popped up and said he was going to erase all of New Who from existence, and there was nothing I could do about it, then there is perhaps only one episode that I would go out of my way to ask him to spare.

MIDNIGHT

midnight.jpg

For all of his battles throughout time and space, against all of those terrible monsters, the Doctor has, perhaps, never been so close to being undone as by a small and scared group of humans in a confined space. And admitting that he is clever makes them want to kill him even more.

As for the rest of modern Who, I would suggest that only moments are worth preserving..... The Doctor taking Van Gogh to an exhibition of his paintings, Jacobi opening the watch. Moments like that scattered throughout the whole run. Wheat amidst a lot of chaff. When all the boasting from showrunners - about how brilliant a story or episode is going to be - has died down, that is all that I think we are left with, really.

But, yeah, MIDNIGHT, I really like.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
But, yeah, MIDNIGHT, I really like
I could not agree more with you about your assessment of this episode. I have always loved this one, but I have heard from other viewers that they thought this one lacking. I feel that they just didn't understand the true terror presented in it. And Tennent is brilliant in it.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
The potential for a flop exists every time the Doctor regenerates. It could safely be said that's what happened when Colin Baker took over the role. But if it does I doubt it would be because of Jodie Whitaker. Bad writing, poor promotion, poor budgets, etc. are all much more likely candidates to cause a series to flop. In the same way I'd argue that classic who didn't "flop" because of Colin Baker, but because the stories were poor, the budgets were pathetic, and the producer was colour blind and/or had bad taste in fashion.

Doctor Omega

c69faf965c330b01d1f56fe105fd662f--home-theatre-satan.jpg

One element that is of supreme importance to the BBC in a way that was never too dominant during Classic Who, is that of merchandise.

I think that this is a huge factor in what the BBC considers successful now.

If it doesn't shift toys, books, magazines, wallpaper, Monopoly games, limited edition prints, art, busts, statures, dolls, figurines, coins, stamps, replicas and models, etc, then it is, in their eyes, a business failure.

This is one aspect that does concern me.

Yes, girls will have a role model now - and yes, boys can have a female role model too - but will those girls necessarily go out and buy the above merchandise, as boys have always done, thus ticking the BBC success box?

And will boys necessarily adopt a female Doctor as a role model, to the point where they will still go out and buy the merchandise - or will they instead eventually prefer to go and spend their cash on a different franchise altogether?

If the BBC were not so interested in WHO as a cash cow, the above would not be important. But they are. So, sadly, I think it is important to the long term health of the show.

It is my understanding that sales were already dropping under Capaldi. Can this new regime hope to revive these all important sales?

What do others think?

Last edited:

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
but will those girls necessarily go out and buy the above merchandise, as boys have always done, thus ticking the BBC success box?
I can't see any reason why they wouldn't. There were pretty huge outcries from girls about not being able to get Black Widow merchandise after the Avengers movies. In fact it might open up merchandising to a whole new range. Doctor Who makeup bags? etc.

There may be some reduction of boys buying merchandise but I doubt it will be significant. My son doesn't have a lot of merchandise but he does have some Doctor Who lego sets including figures of each of the Doctors and he's already asking when he'll be able to get the new one.