Review Dirty Dancing (1987)

Discussion in 'Film: 1981 - 1990' started by Doctor Omega, Apr 5, 2017.

?

The Musical Love/Hate Poll

1. I love this musical!

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. I hate this musical!

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

[​IMG]

Dirty Dancing is a 1987 American romantic dance drama film written by Eleanor Bergstein, directed by Emile Ardolino and starring Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey in the lead roles, as well as Cynthia Rhodes and Jerry Orbach.

Originally a low-budget film by a new studio, Great American Films Limited Partnership, and with no major stars (except Broadway legend Orbach in a supporting role), Dirty Dancing became a massive box office hit. As of 2009, it has earned over $214 million worldwide. It was the first film to sell more than a million copies on home video, and the Dirty Dancing soundtrack created by Jimmy Ienner generated two multi-platinum albums and multiple singles, including "(I've Had) The Time of My Life", which won both the Golden Globe and Academy Award for Best Original Song, and a Grammy Award for best duet.[4] The film's popularity led to a 2004 prequel, Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights, as well as a stage version which has had sellout performances in Australia, Europe, and North America.

In 2011, a Dirty Dancing remake was announced with Kenny Ortega, who choreographed the original film, as the director. However, on June 8, 2012, Lionsgate announced they were postponing the reboot. Citing casting reasons, the remake release was put off until 2014 at the earliest. In February 2015, it was scheduled to be a TV movie.

The remake was officially cancelled in July 2015, but it was later picked up by ABC.It will air on May 24, 2017.

2. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 6

Unpopular opinion: I hate this movie.

3. Sunflower007

Sunflower007 Member: Rank 3

:emoji_relaxed: ~ I recently heard that they were going to make a remake of Dirty Dancing in twitter. I thought that was crazy. Why remake a classic for goodness sake? I was shock about this news.:emoji_frowning:

*~:emoji_beetle:~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    :emoji_musical_score:

"Life is never what you planned
    Life is moments you can't understand
    And that is life

Holding to the ground
    As the ground keeps shifting
    Trying to keep sane
    As the rules keep changing"

By: Falsettos

• Like Like x 1
  4. duzit

duzit Member: Rank 6

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Elliot Thomas

Elliot Thomas Member: Rank 3

It's a superb romantic drama with charismatic performances and an overall exuberance (with splendid dance scenes choreographed by Kenny Ortega) whilst also working as a frank coming-of-age tale. Some of the dialogue is terrifically cringeworthy, however!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sunflower007

Sunflower007 Member: Rank 3

:emoji_relaxed: ~ I definitely agree. There could only be one which is the original. Heck this Friday the actress that play Baby (Abigail Breslin) in the new Dirty Dancing, was arguing with people of twitter. The ones that gave their opinions of how awful it is to remake a cult classic.

*~ :emoji_alien:~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    :emoji_musical_score:

"Well you may not see me when you come back
    I could be sharing someone else's pillow
    And my love for you is better than diamonds
    To you everything I bestow
    "

By: Mundy

• Like Like x 2
  7. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter Member: Rank 6

Great cast, story, music, cars, location, and dancing.

134226.jpg
    swayze2_1481677c.jpg
    dirty-dancing.jpg