Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Renegade

From issue 3 (Dec 1981)

Blakes 7 03_Page_01_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 03_Page_07_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 03_Page_08_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 03_Page_09_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 03_Page_10_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 03_Page_11_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 03_Page_12_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 03_Page_13_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 03_Page_14_Image_0001.jpg

Renegade
Issue 3

Opening words:
‘Tension mounted as the two ships closed…’

Story:
Servalan chases a renegade, Pangal, under sentence of death for the crime of knowing her history. Pangal survives in an escape capsule as his ship is destroyed. Falling down to Xenon, the capsule is spotted by Avon, who takes Pangal back to Xenon base when he reveals he is also an enemy of Servalan. But Pangal has a plan to trade Avon and the crew in for his freedom…

Incoming Data:

• Servalan is still Commissioner Sleer. Pangal is sentenced to death for knowing her true identity.
  • The big battle at the start takes place above Xenon. Servalan takes part personally, without realising how close she is to Avon’s base
  • Tarrant comments on how paranoid Avon is becoming. They’re really trying hard with the characterisations here.
  • A big Terry Nation-esque creature rears out of a lake (of mutations) on Xenon and tries to eat Pangal.
  • Vila whacks Pangal over the head with Orac.
  • This artist (the mysterious Kennedy…) loves drawing Scorpio.
  • Pangal’s plan of handing the Scorpio crew over to the Federation in exchange for a free pardon was done with Terry Wogan in the previous issue.
  • There’s a big circular control console in Xenon base. It looks like a fat TARDIS interior.
  • Zen seems to be living in the Xenon base control room, judging by one of the panels behind Soolin. It’s round with little squares on it, like Zen was.
  • Avon’s at his best again. He kills the traitorous Pangal by teleporting him over to Servalan’s ship with a half-repaired teleport machine. Pangal materialises in a glowing mess and dies.
  • Though Avon does have a chance to destroy Servalan’s ship with her onboard, and lets her go, even though she knows Scorpio is based on Xenon.
  • We’d love it if Soolin or Dayna got something to do.

Notable Lines:

Vila: ‘You must be off your galactic trolley, Avon!’

Vila: ‘Uh? What’s he playing at? It’s not death or glory time again, is it?’

We love the caption, ‘As ever, Avon was right…’

Special Sound:
‘RAARRG’ – the roar an angry snake-like lake mutation makes when you shoot it.

Closing words:
‘He was prepared to exchange us for his life. Even for a renegade… that price was too high. He deserved what he got. But Tarrant really killed him. He failed to repair the teleporter in time.’

Aftermath:
Pangal is a bit of a non-entity, but it’s nice to see Servalan got a proper bit of action, shooting his ship down, planning to double-cross him, and then being let off when Avon has her at his mercy. Avon and Vila still get all the best stuff though.

Doctor Omega

Battle Cruiser

From issue 4 (Jan 1982)

Blakes 7 04_Page_01_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 04_Page_07_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 04_Page_08_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 04_Page_09_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 04_Page_10_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 04_Page_11_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 04_Page_12_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 04_Page_13_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 04_Page_14_Image_0001.jpg

Battle Cruiser
Issue 4

Opening words:

‘Holding stationary orbit behind the moon of Cignus 3 Scorpio is rigged for silent operations. On the flight deck is a tension which could be cut with a knife…’

Story:
Scorpio intercepts a battle fleet bound for a colonising mission on Xenon. Forced to crash land on the planet Cignus 3 in the ensuing battle, Avon and Tarrant attempt to repair the ship while Vila and Soolin investigate some smoke on the horizon. One of the Federation ships has crashed too, and Vila and Soolin are taken prisoner by Federation guards. Breaking free of their cell as the ship takes off, they discover the mission was not one of colonisation, but a biological attack on five possibly terrorist planets, including Xenon. Relaying the information back to the Scorpio, the pair are trapped on the cruiser as Avon orders it destroyed… and the Scorpio teleport isn’t working…

Incoming Data:

• Vila mentions Roy Orbison’s song ‘You Got It’ at one point.
  • More space battles – the mysterious writer clearly knows what ‘Kennedy’ the artist likes doing.
  • Scorpio crashes on a planet, much like it does in TV’s Blake.
  • There are some oddly-shaped speech bubbles in this issue. One of them’s shaped like a dog’s kidney.
  • The Federation’s secret operation dossier on the five planets charmingly has the words ‘FEDERATION SECRET OPERATION FIVE PLANETS’ on the cover.
  • Yeah! Proper Terry Nation plot on display here. The Federation are planning to kill all life on Xenon by spraying the planet with a ‘mixture of radiation and biological agents’.
  • Soolin gets a meaty bit of tale here, teaming up with Vila and getting immediately captured by the Feds. They make a great team, as Vila’s cowardice and Soolin’s bravery is a nice reversal of what you might expect.
  • Dayna gets a line too.
Notable Lines:

Avon: ‘ This is not a democracy, Tarrant! We attack!

Vila: ‘Avon’s finally killed us! I always knew he would…!’

Special Sound:

‘SHTAAANG!’ – the sound of a plasma bolt hitting a spaceship.

‘ZAANG!’ – the noise made when a battle cruiser rams a Wanderer-class planet-hopper head on.

Closing words:

Tarrant: ‘I misjudged you Avon. You’re not as heartless as I thought.’

Avon: ‘Don’t you believe it, Tarrant set course for Xenon!’

Aftermath:

We’re really enjoying this comic, genuinely! The artwork’s really quite good for a cheap telly spin-off and it all feels quite exciting. The likenesses of Avon and Vila continue to be handled well. This story’s another decent little action yarn of the Scorpio crew facing off against some faceless Federation ciphers. A bit similar in feel to previous episodes though, and we hope something different happens soon.

They really should have flipped that shot of the Scorpio crashing from right-to-left though.

Doctor Omega

This was an Open University Course that the BBC broadcast many years ago about the themes in Blake's 7 and Poldark.

Or something.....

Open University Analysis of Blake's 7:

Doctor Omega

I have never seen this before in my life.

I just stumbled on it.

I need to go and lie down now.

I may never recover.....

I pray it is not canon.

Doctor Omega

4f565f_2b854d1e38d4408ca054e3fef5f2acf9-mv2.png

The Unmade Paul Darrow Script for Season D:

In an interview with Starburst, conducted shortly before production started on Series D, Paul Darrow discussed the possibility of writing a script for Blake's 7.

"I wouldn't mind actually. the only trouble is that, if you write for yourself, everybody says, 'Oh dear me! He's just writing that so he looks much better!' So that's a dodgy thing. I'd probably have to write it for another character, so they wouldn't be able to say that. But then you defeat the object of the exercise because your character's the one you know about. If an actor does a particular character for any length of time, he gets to know that character better than anyone else. You also get to know how that character reacts with other characters and consequently you know more about the other characters than perhaps a lot of people."

Paul Darrow wrote Man of Iron after production had already started on Series D.

"We had all kinds of problems with the scripts in the last series. A lot of new writers were brought in and they didn't understand the format of the show or the characters and such like. So I took myself off to the seaside and wrote one myself - and they rejected it! They were very polite and said it was very good, but that it would be too expensive to actually make. Perhaps they were just saying this to save my feelings."

In an interview with DWB, Chris Boucher stated that the script was never intended for use.

"I didn't see it, it never came across my desk, I had nothing to do with it. It had nothing to do with the official scripting of Blake's 7"

Paul Darrow was disappointed that the script was never used.

"It was a shame because I had all kinds of exciting things happening in there. I showed it to Jacqueline Pearce who absolutely loved it because it gave Servalan the chance to torture Avon. They kept our characters apart in the last series which I thought was a shame so I made sure I brought them together because those scenes were always great fun to play. I also gave Michael Keating plenty to do otherwise he would never have forgiven me! In fact, Vila saved the day - which didn't happen often."

SYNOPSIS

Avon runs across a sandy landscape on the planet Epsilon. He is being pursued by 'human/robots'. Armed with a pump-action shotgun, Avon shoots one of them, reducing it to a jumble of metal. There are two more of them following him. Avon falls into a pit and loses his teleport bracelet as he scrambles out. Scorpio is in orbit of the planet and an anxious Vila tries in vain to contact Avon. Slave is concerned about low fuel levels and advises a swift return to Xenon Base. Vila decides to contact Xenon Base for advice.

VILA: I've lost Avon.

TARRANT: (VO) Now tell me the bad news.

VILA: That's not funny.

TARRANT: It wasn't meant to be.

VILA: What should I do?

TARRANT: What do you want to do?

VILA: Stay here and wait for him.

TARRANT: What's your fuel situation?

VILA: Not good.

TARRANT: Get back here.

VILA: What about Avon?

TARRANT: What about him? If the positions were reversed he'd leave you for dead.

VILA: I'm not sure he would.

TARRANT: I'm sure! Get back here Vila. We need that spacecraft more than we need Avon.

Reluctantly Vila complies and sets a course for Xenon Base. On the planet, Avon is captured by two of the human/robots. In a communications chamber a middle-aged man in a wheelchair watches events on a monitor. This is Algor. He is furious that Avon has destroyed some of his robotic creations and vows to kill him. Servalan is also in the chamber, perched upon a chaise longue. She wants to find out more about Algor's greatest achievement, a totally indestructible robot called Gabor. Back at Xenon Base, Tarrant informs Dayna and Soolin that Avon has to remain on Epsilon.

Avon is brought before Algor and Servalan and is guarded by two robots. Algor decides to kill Avon, believing he is there to destroy Gabor. Avon is disgusted by Algor's research which has involved experimentation on humans.

AVON: You are living death! Even Servalan is shocked by your excesses. Your vile experiments on humans. No-one can expect the promise of life from you - you are only familiar with degradation and death. I will kill you if I can.

Algor orders that Avon be taken away for execution and then resumes his negotiations with Servalan. Back on Xenon Base, Dayna, Soolin and Tarrant are reluctant to return to Epsilon as they feel Avon is likely to have perished. Vila is determined to return and uses a shotgun to force the others to help him.

Algor watches on a monitor as Avon takes a beating from the robots in his cell. Concerned that Servalan could double-cross him, Algor programmes Gabor to 'explode with the force of a neutron bomb' if she goes back on her word. Returning his attention to the monitor, he sees Avon slumped in a chair. He has been very badly beaten and Servalan winces.

GABOR: Squeamish my dear? Never mind, in a little while I shall kill him. It will be no more than putting a sick animal out of its misery! That's what he is - a sick animal.

Gabor then shows Servalan a demonstration of Gabor's power. She is impressed as she watches Gabor destroy one of the other robots. Meanwhile, Scorpio enters orbit and Tarrant, Soolin and Vila teleport down. They find the remains of the robot destroyed by Avon. Dayna remains on Scorpio where Slave informs her that the fuel situation is now critical.

Servalan visits Avon in his cell in order to gloat.

SERVALAN: Once upon a time, I thought highly of you. Now - I don't. You are out of touch with the real universe. You are older - more weary - and expendable!

After Servalan leaves his cell, one of the robots moves to finish Avon off. He manages to overpower it and escapes from the cell using a hidden wire concealed in one of the studs on his belt. His escape sets off an alarm which alerts Servalan and Algor. The last two robots are despatched to kill Avon and they manage to corner him. Tarrant, Soolin and Vila arrive in the nick of time to destroy the robots. Avon instructs them to keep Gabor at bay so he can deal with Algor.

SOOLIN: I can't help but feel it's typical of Avon to leave us out in the open while he goes off in search of an easier target.

TARRANT: I have yet to meet the man - or machine-made man - that can kill me!

VILA: I think you're about to!

Gabor appears and all three open fire but it has no effect. They run away but Gabor follows them. Avon finds Algor alone; Servalan having left for her own ship. Algor fires at Avon using a machine gun built into his wheelchair. A TV monitor explodes, injuring Avon's hand and leaving him incapable of using his shotgun. He pursues Algor into the bathroom and drowns him in the bath. This makes Avon suddenly realise Gabor's vulnerability to water! He contacts Tarrant using Algor's audio system and tells him about the robot's weakness.

AVON: The robot will not function in water. Its components will be damaged beyond repair. Water, Tarrant, is your ally. Water, water...

Tarrant, Soolin and Vila swim out to sea. Gabor attempts to follow them but he sinks. The crew swim to shore where they are met by Avon. They watch as a massive explosion erupts where Gabor sank.

Soolin informs Avon that he owes his life to Vila. Before Avon can say anything he is teleported back to Scorpio. Tarrant and Soolin are also teleported away. Eventually Vila is teleported too only to reappear further along the beach. He finally teleports away for good and Scorpio leaves Orbit of Epsilon.

THE END

Doctor Omega

Interception

from Issue 5 (Feb 1982)

Blakes 7 05_Page_01_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 05_Page_06_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 05_Page_07_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 05_Page_08_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 05_Page_09_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 05_Page_10_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 05_Page_11_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 05_Page_12_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 05_Page_13_Image_0001.jpg

Interception
Issue 5

Opening words:
‘Somewhere in the second quadrant of Proxima Gallasta…’

Story:

Intercepting a transmission from a Federation prison ship, the Scorpio crew rushes to a dangerous quadrant of space to find the ship. It has been taken over by the prisoners. Fighting off more Federation ships, Avon convinces the prisoners he can help them, before teleporting over. He’s seen something on the ship he wants…

Incoming Data:

• The prison ship thugs are standard Blakes 7 primitives, who say things like ‘by the blood of my ancestors…!’ On telly, they’d be played by Dicken Ashworth and Bruce Purchase.
  • Despite the percussion bombs used on the Federation spaceship having been conceived and built by Dayna, it’s Vila who tells us all about them, presumably to avoid giving Dayna any lines to say. It actually looks like the speech bubble is given to Vila by mistake, as it’s definitely Dayna who runs to get the bombs.
  • When Avon, Vila and Tarrant teleport over to the prison ship, despite overwhelming odds, they essentially pick up the mysterious box and beam back again.
  • This issue’s ropey characterisation: ORAC calls Avon ‘master’ at one point.
  • This story features another sequence in which one spaceship tries to ram another, like in last issue.
  • The device Avon steals is a Matracon, capable of sending the prison ship into another dimension. Avon helpfully explains: ‘it’s reversed their matter’.
  • Matracon is the name of a construction company in Pakistan, presumably named after this issue of the Blakes 7 comic strip. From the Matracon website: ‘M/S MATRACON started its operations as a sole proprietorship firm in 1985 and after completing 19 years of successful business, by the grace of Allah it was converted into a private limited company as MATRACON (Pvt.) LIMITED in August 2004’. Now you know.

Notable Lines:

Avon: ‘If it’s madness to want to have the equipment to guarantee our survival… then I am mad. I won’t tell you again… get Scorpio ready… now!’

Guldak, on Avon: ‘The man wears black! He must belong to the Federation. Open fire!’

Special Sound:

‘SHTANNNGG’ – the sound of a plasma bolt hitting a spaceship. Very similar to ‘SHTAAANG!’ from the last issue.

‘KROOOMM’ – the noise a percussion charge in a barrel makes when a spaceship flies into one.

Closing words:

Vila: ‘Reversed matter? Another dimension? But which one, Avon?’

Avon: ‘I don’t know… nor do I care. All that matters is we have a device to make Scorpio invincible. Now set course for Xenon. Tarrant has work to do with our weapon system.’

Aftermath:

A standard Blakes 7 ‘primitives versus Federation’ story. The Scorpio crew’s part in events is basically to fly into space, shoot a Federation ship, teleport over to the prison ship, pick up a box, and teleport back again. It remains to see if the Matracon reappears next time.

Doctor Omega

Sacrifice

from issue 6 (March 1982)

Blakes 7 06_Page_01_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 06_Page_07_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 06_Page_08_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 06_Page_09_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 06_Page_10_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 06_Page_11_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 06_Page_12_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 06_Page_13_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 06_Page_14_Image_0001.jpg

Sacrifice.

Issue 6

Opening words:

‘Deep underground in a subterranean fortress, the Federation’s intelligence gathering network probes deep into space, watching listening, trying to sense anything unusual…’

Story:

In a dodgy space bar, Avon meets Aanya, a young alien from another galaxy. Back on her ship, they quickly realise their feelings for each other, and Aanya asks him to join her on her flight. But Servalan wants Aanya’s advanced technology for herself.

Incoming Data:

• It took us a good minute to work out the title of this story, due to a horrific custom typeface. We think it’s ‘Sacrifice’, but it did look like ‘Scarface’ for a good few seconds. Which would be better, in a way.
  • Talking of typefaces, by this point, they’ve really stopped bothering – all of the lettering for dialogue is done with a grotesque font. Looks a bit like Helvetica.
  • Roger Delgado appears on the first page.
  • The Scorpio crew pop into a ‘Star Wars cantina’-type establishment. Although the strip is in black and white, we feel sure they’re drinking GREEN. So much so, we coloured it in with our felt tips.

• Ropey guest character Aanya is an alien from ‘a far galaxy’. Her entire race are migrating between galaxies in a vast starship, but have to stop off in a local bar to buy a route map. That’s the plot.
  • The aliens are housed onboard their ship in Suspended Animation chambers, or as they’re called here, Sus-An Chambers. We used to know someone called Susan Chambers.
  • The ship design is lovely once more, though – the enigmatic artist likes drawing spacey stuff.
  • There’s a bit of a romance between Avon and Aanya, which is unfortunate given that humans can’t touch her race’s skin. This is played out until we get to the slight desperation of Aanya’s: ‘Our surgeons could alter you so that you could touch us without harm. You could touch me Avon. Oh please come with us, Avon.’ She’s gagging for it.
  • It all goes proper Blakes 7 at the end when Servalan turns up and starts winding Avon up about his new girlfriend (‘I must say I like your taste in women. She’s not Anna Grant, but…’). It’s great! Servalan even calls Aanya ‘the alien bitch.’
  • We see one of the few times when Servalan kills someone here: she has a duel with Aanya, and stabs her.
  • There’s no reference to the Matracon from last issue.
  • Elsewhere in this issue, the letter page features a letter from Stuart Murdoch of Scotland. We’d like to think it’s the lead singer of Belle and Sebastian, but it’s the wrong part of Scotland. We checked.

Notable Lines:

Our favourite line in the whole of Blakes 7: ‘It’s a flamin’ alien, innit! We got a live one…’
…followed shortly after by, ‘Up yours mate…’

Aanya: ‘All that hate is alien to you. I sense that you are a loving man, you have known love…’

Avon: ‘True – but love dies quickly when it is betrayed.’

Special Sound:

‘AIEEE!’ – what people say when Avon shoots them with a Scorpio clip gun.

Closing words:

Dayna: ‘Oh shut up, Vila. Leave him… Can’t you see he’s saying goodbye to some thing…’

Aftermath:

The best episode so far. Aanya and Avon seem to genuinely fall for each other, and there’s some real emotion on display, in the way the best Blakes 7 can do. When Servalan turns up, she and Avon trade a few lovely insults, and they both seem very well characterised. Very nice.

Doctor Omega

The Flying Bomb

From issue 7 (April 1982)

Blakes 7 07_Page_01_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 07_Page_07_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 07_Page_08_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 07_Page_09_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 07_Page_10_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 07_Page_11_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 07_Page_12_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 07_Page_13_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 07_Page_14_Image_0001.jpg

The Flying Bomb

Issue 7

Opening words:

‘In the seemingly endless wastes of space there are certain planets where no man goes willingly. Kantak was such a place…’

Story:

Something about a planet with a large magentic pull, where Scorpio lands for repairs. Vila nicks some valuable chemicals, which later put the ship in danger. There’s a black hole at the end.

Incoming Data:

• One of the crashed ships in the spaceship graveyard on Kantak looks just like the Liberator.
  • Avon’s ‘rigged something in Scorpio to counteract the effect’ of the planet’s magnetic core. ‘Rigged something’? Rigged what? They’ve really stopped trying by this point.
  • Vila finds a horrid dead body. Mr mysterious artist like drawing these shocking moments.
  • There’s a big hairy monster which looks like a man dressed up in a monster suit. Its facial features never mov
  • Vila finds some Krytomite liquid on the planet (‘a tiny portion of that is worth over fifty-thousand credits!’), and stores it on Scorpio. In a cupboard marked ‘K’. You’ve got to have a system.
  • Avon, on Krytomite: ‘It’s also the most dangerous gas in the universe! The metal atoms in it are so volatile when exposed to air the slightest spark can create an instant black hole!’ It’s bad shit.
  • The spacesuits from Warlord make a reappearance.
  • Dayna’s familiar with the Bermuda Triangle. Nice to know the Federation left the British Oversees Territories alone.
  • Three of the Scorpio crew are rendered unconscious, and two remain awake to continue the plot. See if you can guess which two stay active. Go on, guess. That’s right, Avon and Vila.

• When the Scorpio is in danger and Dayna, Tarrant and Soolin are unconscious, Avon says, ‘It’s the ship that concerns me, Vila, a new crew we can get… but we need transport.’ Again, Avon is portrayed accurately to his screen persona.
  • Another couple of pursuit ships get destroyed. We seem to lose a couple every issue.
  • There’s an odd speech mistake when Vila’s line ‘Why? What have you in mind?’ is rendered as ‘Shy? Why what have you in mind?’
  • The story climaxes with Avon destroying a planet by creating a proper, full-size black hole in its place. A black hole! Can’t wait to see how this turns out! Where did all the mass come from? What about the huge gravitational effects on the Scorpio? Just how did the large magnetic field around the planet Kantak affect oh no the story’s finished.

Notable Lines:

None really, though we quite like Tarrant’s: ‘Uhhh? Jeez..!’ when the big hairy monster hits him.

Special Sound:

Nothing in this issue makes a sound. Even the big hairy monster doesn’t roar.

Closing words:

‘Just one, tiny spark… that’s all it needed. And that’s what could have happened to Scorpio! Remember that the next time you think about turning us into a flying bomb!’

Aftermath:

More unexplained, unfulfilled plot ideas, glazed-over scientific exposition and not-trying-at-all lines which you can make up yourself just as pathetically. ‘One blob of Zaguinox can destroy the entire universe if you cough in its generally vicinity. It’s probably worth a gazillion credits.’ See? As pretty as this looks on occasion, you can’t help hating a script that was tossed off in a lunchtime.

Doctor Omega

Blakes 7 08_Page_01_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 08_Page_10_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 08_Page_11_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 08_Page_12_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 08_Page_13_Image_0001.jpg

Crossed Wires
Issue 8

Opening words:
‘Scorpio was undergoing a major overhaul when…’
‘AHHHRRGH..!’

Story:
Tarrant gets severely injured when an explosion erupts on Scorpio, as it is docked at Xenon base. Two Federation ships spot the explosion and attack, leaving Avon to fight them off… unarmed…

Incoming Data:

• Ugh. The title and jaunty typeface suggest this might be a comedy story. Let’s see…

• Proper lettering is back again.
  • Does every story have to begin with Scorpio undergoing repairs / looking for spare parts?
  • We’re trying to work out if ‘medi-cough’ is supposed to read ‘medi-couch’.
  • We’ve noticed in the last few issues that people keep saying ‘for pity’s sake!’ Once you spot it it really sticks out. Dayna and Soolin say it here.
  • The Federation ships have brilliant thermal imagers. They manage to spot the small fire on Xenon base even though they don’t know what planet or system the Scorpio is based in.
  • The commander of the Federation ships appears to be George Lucas. Probably some sort of subtle in-joke. Or is it Kenny Rogers?
  • Avon destroys two Federation ships by flying between them, creating an unexpected vacuum as he passes which sucks the enemy ships together. He creates a vacuum. In space.
  • This issue’s only four pages long. It still can’t pad out the story time.
  • We still can’t decide if this is a comedy story or not. It’s certainly laughable.
Notable Lines:
Soolin: ‘Y… you mean they will blow themselves to atoms? Oh no!’

Special Sound:
It’s possible all the space scenes are silent on purposes, because that’s how space works. More likely they just never bothered to put any ‘swoosh’es in, though.

Closing words:
Avon: ‘Then let me make this clear. I want no crossed wires on Scorpio ever again. In future I shall do all the maintenance. Do I make myself plain? I never want to fight from an unarmed ship again!’

Aftermath:
Dire. We’re reduced to four pages. Scorpio’s undergoing repairs, again. Avon faces off against two Federation ships, again. At least Dayna and Soolin get a bit to do here, but they’re not remotely characterised – Soolin in particular seems oddly wet.

Doctor Omega

Blakes 7 09_Page_01_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 09_Page_07_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 09_Page_08_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 09_Page_09_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 09_Page_10_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 09_Page_11_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 09_Page_12_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 09_Page_13_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 09_Page_14_Image_0001.jpg

Treachery

Issue 9

Writer: Ken Armstrong
Artist: Steve Dillon
Art Assistant + Letterer: Jerry Paris

Opening words:

‘In the vast empty wastes of space, a new and pitiful landmark has been added.’

Story:

Avon attends a meeting of Federation rebels, but one of those present is a traitor, working for Servalan. A fist fight and a space fight ensue.

Incoming Data:

• A new artist – the legendary Steve Dillon. He’s better at drawing people, and some of the framing is lovely.
b7-9.png

• This is the first time the creative team are credited.
  • Servalan shows her mercy in one sequence. A fatally wounded spaceship navigator is dying a slow and painful death. Servalan ejects him into space, as it’s a quicker death.
  • Avon attends a conference of rebels against the Federation, clearly intended as a pre-cursor to the later conference in the television series’ Warlord.
  • Valkac is a great creation, uttering lines like, ‘how dare you insult me, worm!’ Turns out he’s the villain. Tch. He’s essentially the same character as Zukan from Warlord.
  • There isn’t really time to play out the Valkac treachery story in full, so as soon as we meet him, Avon says he’s a traitor and they have a scrap.
  • This is Servalan’s story really – it’s worth it for her scenes. She has a habit of posing for the ‘camera’ too.
  • Avon is oddly emotive when he reveals that Valkac has betrayed them, shaking his fists at him, before jumping on him for fight.
  • The end space fight is nicely dynamic, with lots of engine wakes showing the twisting, turning flights of the spaceships.
Notable Lines:

Servalan: ‘Your wounds are such that you would die a slow and painful death. That I could not permit. Never let I be said I am not merciful.’

Navigator: ‘Wh… where are you sending me…?’

Servalan: ‘To a swift and speedy death, my friend. It’s the least I can do for you.’

Servalan: ‘Valkac is of no further use to us. Order the attack. Wipe them all from the galaxy! I want no-one left alive down there… especially Avon. Understand?’

Special Sound:

‘EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE’ – what a man says when he is ejected into space.

‘AHHHHIEEEECH..!’ – what you’d say if your spaceship exploded.

Closing words:

Avon: ‘Servalan has destroyed all hopes of an alliance against her and her kind… at least for a while. We’re on our own once more.’

Aftermath:

The new creative team (we’re not sure if the writer has changed, but it does feel like it) bring some new energy to the stories. There’s a lot of Warlord in here, but it holds together nicely. It’s a shame there isn’t enough time to fulfil the promise of the title – maybe a two-parter would have been better? – but some cool individual scenes hold this together. The Servalan airlock sequence is the best scene in the comic so far.

Doctor Omega

Blakes 7 10_Page_01_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 10_Page_08_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 10_Page_09_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 10_Page_10_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 10_Page_11_Image_0001.jpg Blakes 7 10_Page_12_Image_0001.jpg

Prey

Issue 10

Script & Art: Jerry Paris
Letterer: Jenny O’Connor
Editor: Bernie Jay

Opening words:

‘Looks as if there’s been a small war here! Sensors indicate wreckage consists of three Federation battle cruisers and four, perhaps five other craft.’

Story:

While visiting the planet Telkos to find parts for the Scorpio, Avon and Vila discover that a recent salvage ship landing on the planet has brought an old friend back with it…

Incoming Data:

• Valkac’s back! Unexpectedly, this issue is a new story that follows on from the previous one.
  • There’s a ‘there’ / ‘their’ mistake on Page Two. Tut-tut.
  • Once again the crew are repairing the ship, this time after a meteor storm. We don’t see any of the crew apart from Avon and Vila.
  • Avon and Vila visit a very Blakes 7-style run-down space city to deal for parts with Pellorim Vac Vanner, a fat gangster boss surrounded with beautiful women. It seems right.
  • Valkac attacks Vila and Avon with a sword, and when a group of Federation soldiers intervene, he slices them all to pieces.
  • We don’t believe for a second that Vila would have left Scorpio without his gun, but he does here, because he’s ‘always afraid I might shoot my foot off’.

Notable Lines:

Avon, when Valkac attacks him: ‘VILAR… YOUR LAZER!?’ We think he means Vila.

Avon: ‘Did anyone ever tell you, Vila, that you are as spineless as a Chakani worm.’

Vila: ‘I tell myself every morning… it keeps me out of trouble.’

Special Sound:

CHOONG! – the noise Valkac’s space gun makes when he shoots it at two rebels.

Closing words:

Valkac, across several frames, in increasing close-up:

‘There’s no-where for you to hide, Avon… You haven’t got away with it…
I’ll hunt you across the galaxy if I have to…
…And when I find you…
You’re a dead man…’

He’s like Travis this time.

b7-10.png

Aftermath:

Another nice set-up episode. There’s no plot, but it creates the conceit that Valkac is after revenge on Avon. The opening sequence showing a salvage ship investigating a strange planet and discovering Valkac in the shadows has a decent Alien feel about it. Artwork’s nice again, this time by Jerry Paris. It feels like a proper Marvel strip.
We’ve got to the point where only Avon and Vila bother to appear in this one. Everyone else is back on an unseen Scorpio. It’s almost like they’re the only two popular characters…

Doctor Omega

Then there was Tony Attwood's programme guide, released not long after the ending of the show.....

It was a flimsy book in retrospect, but the show's bible for fans for quite some time....

41BD0TocYjL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Doctor Omega

Terry Nation praised this book to the skies, but it was actually a poorly designed and shallow affair, published by Boxtree, which had the added disadvantage that, if you so much as breathed on the pages, the book's spine disintegrated!

51EodsMZcqL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Doctor Omega

And this was quite a nice one too, although it did introduce the idea that Gan was actually a liar about his past, totally evil and a serial killer of women!

Funnily enough, if you watch the show, you can't actually refute it, especially the episode "BREAKDOWN"!

51aX6wCHT8L.jpg

Doctor Omega

Paul Darrow wrote a prequel book that is quite hard to find nowadays.....

51u7DfYFMOL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

download.jpg

I see that, by the time it went to paperback, Terry Nation's name had assumed it's usual importance on the cover.