Review Wonder Woman (2017)

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I am, and I really want it to be great. But someone YouTube said that they heard rumors from someone in production that it is a mess, and too much in line with what we've already seen from MAN OF STEEL and BVS. I hope they're wrong, and this movie kicks ass.

Also, again, Gal Gadot is HOT!!!

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Wonder Woman Projected To Have Lowest DCEU Opening Weekend

Official tracking figures won’t hit for another month or so, but very early box office projections are in for Patty Jenkins’ “Wonder Woman” with those very initial estimates suggesting the film could gross $83 million domestically in its opening weekend says Box-Office Pro

That’s behind previous DCEU projects like “Man of Steel” ($117M), “Suicide Squad” ($134M), and “Batman V Superman” ($166M) but it is early as yet. Much of the film’s serious marketing to the masses hasn’t yet really begun, and reviews are expected to play a large part in determining whether people will see it.

“Wonder Woman” opens June 2nd and faces stiff competition from “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” the week before and the likes of “The Mummy” and “Transformers: The Last Knight” in subsequent weeks.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Does she have to be so exquisitely beautiful?

I'd prefer a big bruiser of an actress (she's too thin) but I guess they're pushing the romance element of this movie quite strongly and everyone loves a model.

duzit

It's nice to see Robin Wright getting some other things to do besides "House of Cards".
Looking forward to seeing her in WW & Blade Runner 2049.

duzit

Thanx DOC! I'm wondering if with all the good C G I they can do now, if there will be her crystal plane?

If they conjure it up, I bet it will be pretty◆◆◆:emoji_purple_heart::emoji_purple_heart::emoji_purple_heart:

Doctor Omega

“Wonder Woman” Tracking For $65M Opening

The first tracking figures for Warner Bros. and DC’s “Wonder Woman” are in with the Patty Jenkins-helmed film looking to debut with $65 million domestically. That number will likely climb higher the closer to release as the TV marketing push begins.

That figure also puts the film, the first female-led superhero movie from a major Hollywood studio since “Elektra” twelve years ago, on par with the first outings in the “Thor” and “Captain America” franchises, but behind the $85 million of “Doctor Strange”. That said, a separate report at The Wrap says one service is predicting as high as a $105 million opening.

Interest is tracking strongest among males who are 25 and older, followed by females 25 and older, but the movie is appealing to younger males and females as well.

Chris Pine, Robin Wright, Danny Huston, David Thewlis, Connie Nielsen and Elena Anaya also star in “Wonder Woman” which opens June 2nd.

Gavin

VIP
I suspect people will be wary to start with given the responses to Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad. It will really come down to word of mouth how successful this is overall. I know I'll be waiting to see people's responses before I commit to seeing it in theatres. As opposed to Marvel movies where I can be pretty confident, based on past movies, that I'll enjoy the experience.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
Does anyone feel we have to many comic based movies? I heard talks they are going to have a Bat Girl movie. I mean Hollyweird does this run a great contest into the ground. Years ago it was westerns, then horror, now they are really into the comics. A good thing could get ruined if they keep going with this. I do like a break from all the lame seth rogen comedies, and bad remakes.

Gavin

VIP
Does anyone feel we have to many comic based movies? I heard talks they are going to have a Bat Girl movie. I mean Hollyweird does this run a great contest into the ground. Years ago it was westerns, then horror, now they are really into the comics. A good thing could get ruined if they keep going with this. I do like a break from all the lame seth rogen comedies, and bad remakes.
As a long time comic book fan I dispute the possibility of too many comic based movies. As long as the majority are of the quality we're currently being presented with, I'll happily keep going to see them.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I love superhero films, but some of them seem to be a bit questionable.

However, most of them are on the DC side of things. Marvel seems to be going along just fine.

Such a shame, because I read the DCs as a kid.

Although, how many different Fantastic Four, Hulk and Spider-Man films do we need?

Gavin

VIP
Although, how many different Fantastic Four, Hulk and Spider-Man films do we need?
We only need one definitive version of each. But we have yet to get that. The new Spiderman one might just be the winner (certainly his appearance in Civil War was great). We might be waiting a while for a good standalone Hulk movie but the current version is doing great in other movies. Fantastic Four is my biggest frustration. It's the only Marvel comic I ever collected in any ongoing manner and we've yet to see even a vaguely good movie (although there were aspects of the 2005 movie that were good - Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis being the main ones).

Doctor Omega

Wonder Woman: First Reactions are Superb....

wonder-woman-header5.jpg

First social media reactions to a movie, especially from either film festival crowds or from people attending press junkets, are always to be taken with caution. Said reactions can, and often do, go overboard in spouting praise much of the time, or condemning failure at others.

We saw it earlier today as social media reaction for Todd Haynes’ “Wonderstruck” at Cannes was spouting Oscar talk, whereas actual reviews, though still very positive, were more measured in their enthusiasm.

That said, it’s hard not to get excited about the social media reaction towards Patty Jenkins’ “Wonder Woman” which has been extremely positive across the board. Even early reactions to James Gunn’s “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” though many were full of praise, had a sizable contingent of reviewers who had some big issues and weren’t so enamoured with it.

There’s no such caution or divide here, the praise from the first critics to have seen it is coming from all corners and even the biggest criticisms have been only that it’s ‘a little rough’ towards the start and end – and those who’ve mentioned that say it doesn’t detract from the overall film.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. Here’s some of the reactions thus far:

“Loved WONDER WOMAN. She reminds me of Christopher Reeve’s Superman: true north superhero w/ no angst or cynicism, which is needed right now.” – Mike Ryan, Uproxx

“Happy – no, RELIEVED – to report that #WonderWoman is truly good. Funny, stirring, kick-ass, romantic. A solid, entertaining superhero film.” – Adam B. Vary, Buzzfeed

“WONDER WOMAN: Easily my favorite DCEU film. Has the humor and heart the franchise so desperately needs. Gadot and Pine are charming as hell.” – Kate Erbland, Indiewire

“Very pleased to report that #WonderWoman is the best DC movie since THE DARK KNIGHT. I’m already looking forward to seeing it again.” – Silas Lesnick, Coming Soon

“I loved Wonder Woman. First act’s a bit slow, but it’s optimistic, emotional, and ‘gasp’ funny. Best DC movie so far.” – Dave Schilling, Bloody Disgusting

“Wonder Woman is the easily the best DCEU movie so far. It’s got heart and a love of heroes. Pine and Gadot are charming beyond measure.” – Haleigh Foutch, Collider

“Wonder Woman is solid. Definitely a step up from the last few DC movies. Its retro war vibe makes it feel like their Captain America.” – Dave Kevlar, Yahoo

“Happy to report ‘Wonder Woman’ is a blast and @GalGadot is fantastic. Her chemistry with Chris Pine is magnetic. Absolutely recommended. Best part of ‘Wonder Woman’ is the film has really funny parts and an optimistic and heroic protagonist. Great step forward for DC Films.” – Steve Weintraub, Collider

“WONDER WOMAN is great. My favorite of the recent DC movies. It’s fierce, funny, well-written and badass. @GalGadot owns it. Her lasso FTW” – Erik Davis, Fandango

“I’m now allowed to reveal I enjoyed Wonder Woman! It’s really good. Has the heart & humanity DCEU needed. I’m not reviewing it FYI” – Jim Vejvoda, IGN

“Wonder Woman is everything you want in a #WonderWoman movie & more. It’s the film even DCU critics will love.” – Mark Hughes, Forbes

“I’m finally allowed to say it: I loved #WonderWoman! I teared up watching her fight. The Amazons kick ass!” – Jenna Busch, Legion of Leia

“Wonder Woman is a flawless superhero movie. Loved every second of it. Amazing work, @PattyJenks!” – Jason Guerrasio, Business Insider

“The most wonderful thing about WONDER WOMAN is the wonderful Wonder Woman. Gal IS Wonder Woman. Now then, about WONDER WOMAN.” – Josh L. Dickey, Mashable

“Wonder Woman is the best DCEU film so far. The heart of Gal Gadot’s Diana powers it, and the shift from mythic into WWI story really works. Chris Pine as Steve Trevor is also my favorite Chris Pine performance. #WonderWoman.” – Eric Eisenberg, Cinema Blend

“DC is absolutely on the right track here. Gal Godot is absolutely phenomenal as #WonderWoman. She KILLS it, just surprisingly good. A truly heroic light DCEU desperately needs. Rough parts? Sure. But guys, guys, YOU GUYS! You’ll truly LAUGH. And you’ll walk out, for once, feeling downright inspired by a DC movie.” – Alisha Grauso, Movie Pilot

“Wonder Woman is the DC movie I’ve been waiting for. It’s exciting, inspiring, funny, and has some truly awe-inspiring action scenes. There are certainly some issues, like a mismatched 3rd act, but I’ll discuss that in a longer review. Overall though, Wonder Woman rules.” – Germain Lussier, io9

“Wonder Woman” opens in cinemas on June 2nd.

Doctor Omega

Wonder Woman: Critics First Reactions Say It's The Best DC Film Yet

Gal-Gadot-as-Wonder-Woman-496867.jpg

It’s no secret; DC Entertainment has had trouble wooing critics in the past. After Christopher Nolan’s work with Batman wrapped, the studio found itself floundering to nab love with critics. Films like Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice got lackluster attention - and Suicide Squad was torn to shred by the press. This year, both Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment have hoped to change that reputation with its upcoming releases. In less than a month, Wonder Woman will finally hit theaters, and an embargo just lifted for critics.

Now, the Internet is buzzing with first reactions and partial reviews of Wonder Woman. So, DC diehards, you can breathe now. Critics are calling Wonder Woman the best DC film to date.

Reporters all have their favorite parts, but the reactions all agree on one thing: Wonder Woman is the kind of film which will leave you inspired. Alisha Grauso calls the film “a truly heroic light [the] DCEU desperately needs.” Several have even gone so far as to liken the film’s impact to the kind Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy commanded.

Talk about pressure, huh?

Of course, the cast of Wonder Woman will be happy to hear critics are so far enamored with the film. Earlier today, one of the film’s actresses opened up about her take on the blockbuster. The star, who plays General Antiope, said Wonder Woman was about much more than female empowerment; It is about love and untempered justice.

“Yes, it's a female superhero, and it's never been done before. But the generation, the young girls and young boys that are going to be our future, they're going to flock to the cinema. And the message of this movie is not just female empowerment. It's about love and justice. That's what the film's about. And what a great message to spread to our little ones."

Joining Gadot in the international cast are Chris Pine, Connie Nielsen, Robin Wright, David Thewlis, Danny Huston, Elena Anaya, Ewen Bremner and Saïd Taghmaoui. Patty Jenkins directs the film from a screenplay by Allan Heinberg and Geoff Johns, story by Zack Snyder and Allan Heinberg, based on characters from DC Entertainment. Wonder Woman was created by William Moulton Marston.

duzit

Thanks for all the updates @Doctor Omega, all the shining reviews are great news. I'm very interested in this film, as WW was my choice of childhood comics. This will be another I will see on the big screen, will not wait for Netflix on this one◆◆◆:emoji_purple_heart::emoji_purple_heart::emoji_purple_heart:

Doctor Omega

Joss-Whedon-Wonder-Woman-Movie-Could-Work.jpg

Wonder Woman's Hollywood debut has been a long time coming, and at one point it had the talented Joss Whedon behind the wheel. Now you can see what exactly he had planned.

https://indiegroundfilms.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/wonder-woman-aug7-07-joss-whedon.pdf

The project ended up dying on the vine, as Warner Bros. decided to go a different direction. There was already a version of the script before Whedon's time on the project ended though, and Indie Ground Films managed to get ahold of it. The script is dated August 7, 2006, and even from a quick scan, there are several elements that stand out. For one there seems to be much more antagonistic relationship between Diana and the Amazons, including Hippolyta. Granted, this could be the case in the new film, but it doesn't seem as rigid as Whedons. Secondly, Wonder Woman isn't bulletproof like Superman is, hence the bracelets, but here one bullet to the chest (her first encounter with a bullet mind you) takes her out for several hours. It will be interesting to see if that subject is broached in the Patty Jenkins version.

The initial villain of the script is related to current Wonder Woman villain Ares. Whedon's primary villain was a male Strife, the god of chaos. He makes a point to describe his complexion as bright white with bright red teeth and a carved metal skull-cap. The recent version in the books looked more like a shaved head goth girl, so it's interesting that Whedon swapped the gender. Trevor also ends up being one of the big reasons Diana gives up her powers around midway through the film, and that isn't the sort of angle the new movie seems to be taking. If you want to read the whole script, you can head here.