Review Will (2017) July 10th

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
TV Promo: TNT’s Sexy Shakespeare Series “Will”

tv-promo-tnts-sexy-shakespeare-series-will-696x464.jpg

TNT has premiered a new trailer for the period drama series “Will” which follows a young William Shakespeare and premieres Monday, July 10th.

Created by “Moulin Rouge” scribe Craig Pearce, the drama is “told in a bold, contemporary style and played to a modern soundtrack that exposes all of Shakespeare’s recklessness, lustful temptations and tortured brilliance”.

Laurie Davidson stars as the bard, along with Olivia DeJonge, Ewen Bremner, Colm Meaney, Mattias Inwood, Jamie Campbell Bower, William Houston, Lukas Rolfe, Max Bennett and Jasmin Savoy Brown.

Pearce writes and executive produces Will alongside Alison Owen, Debra Hayward, Vince Gerardis, Howard Braunstein, Louise Rosager and Shekhar Kapur who directed the pilot episode.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Ooh, they've had fun sexing this one up - with any luck it'll be as unlikely as the poxy Tudors... with fewer pilchards than Poldark.
Second series of Upstart Crow due soon too, I believe, and Horrible Histories Bill for those who can't wait.
Anyone else have jolly memories of Tim Curry's stint as Mr Shakespeare?

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I completely forgot that this started this week. My sister-in-law and her kids are up this week, so things have been off. I'll have to catch a repeat at some point.

I also forgot that History channel was starting a series about H.H. Holmes this week (my favorite serial killer!), and the supposed twist that he was Jack the Ripper. I don't buy it, but it has to be better than crap like Big Brother or any other reality shows that permeate the summer months.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
TV Promo: TNT’s Sexy Shakespeare Series “Will”

View attachment 1927

TNT has premiered a new trailer for the period drama series “Will” which follows a young William Shakespeare and premieres Monday, July 10th.

Created by “Moulin Rouge” scribe Craig Pearce, the drama is “told in a bold, contemporary style and played to a modern soundtrack that exposes all of Shakespeare’s recklessness, lustful temptations and tortured brilliance”.

Laurie Davidson stars as the bard, along with Olivia DeJonge, Ewen Bremner, Colm Meaney, Mattias Inwood, Jamie Campbell Bower, William Houston, Lukas Rolfe, Max Bennett and Jasmin Savoy Brown.

Pearce writes and executive produces Will alongside Alison Owen, Debra Hayward, Vince Gerardis, Howard Braunstein, Louise Rosager and Shekhar Kapur who directed the pilot episode.

No... Just no. :emoji_cry:

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
You know, this whole subject makes me a little crazy for a couple of reasons:

First, because the Chicago World's Fair was so much more interesting historically speaking and is responsible for so many "firsts" in this country. The Ferris Wheel was actually developed for the Fair (to take away from the French Eiffel Tower) and believe it or not, Frank Lloyd Wright even had a small tie to the design of the buildings (he quit and left town rather than continue working for one of the primary architectural firms involved in the design of some of the buildings). The Fair Managers chose to use AC electrical to light the grounds with which was an enormous coup at the time and foreshadowed the country following suit. The man responsible for the grounds design was chosen because he had been the guy to design Central Park in NY and in fact, is responsible for making the work and study of landscaping into an actual school of study instead of just being the "nasty stepchild" of Architecture! The White City brought people from all over the world to see it's marvels at a point in time when only a few could afford to travel and one of the things they came to see became "The Board Walk" where Wild Bill's Traveling Circus was appearing because they couldn't get a permit to set-up in the fairgrounds "proper".

H. H. Holmes is almost nothing and no one in comparison to most of what was going on at the time.....

Also, for the record, he was not the first serial killer in the US. That title actually goes to a woman who moved over from.... (a bit embarrassing here).... Norway and bought land with her first husband whom she subsequently killed before posting ads in local papers all over the Northern Midwest looking for other men with money to marry and then kill. In the end, they found several bodies buried in her basement at least 3 of whom were believed to be her own children.

What I will never understand is why Holmes still gets all the press when Chicago was so busy changing the whole world at the same time. How is murder so much more interesting than invention, discovery and progress? Why does death fascinate so much more than the accomplishments of mankind? How does one, whack-job little nobody of a man rate so much more press than the greatest event in the world going on at exactly the same time? Especially when he is credited for something a woman actually did first? :emoji_wink:

:emoji_kiss::emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: And DBs for the Chicago World's Fair (The White City) a major event in US history! :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers:

chainsaw_metal1

I feel like there might be some anger coming from you at the moment, @Janine The Barefoot , so I should explain myself, lest you think less of me in the long run.

At a very early age (three, I think), I read a book about real unsolved murders (the crazy things my parents left lying around for my forming mind to read, amirite?). Since then, I have had a fascination with murderers. It goes along with my love if horror movies. I have a very weird taste.

Anyway, everything you said is spot on. He was nothing in comparison to the magnificence that was the World's Fair. Nor was he the first serial killer. Because if you want something done right, have a woman do it (empowering?). But he's another example of overly religious parentage creating a monster. I think as a case study, he's interesting. As a man, he was a tool.

So that's my case. I'm a mentally shell shocked individual.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
I feel like there might be some anger coming from you at the moment
Darling, being angry at you is as likely to come from me as the chance of reanimating a Norwegian Blue Parrot is! Just ain't gonna happen honey! (see below for great movie idea)

But this all happened to hit at a point in time when there is discussion of doing a movie about Holmes and the Chicago World's Fair so I'm a bit over-sensitive about it already. My biggest issue is that we as a culture are always more interested in murder than we are in almost anything else and I guess it's just wearing a little thin on me.

Everybody knows all about Jack The Ripper but how many can name his victims? How many know that one of them was a mother or that his last victim had finally earned enough money to rent the room she died in for the night... foolishly hoping that a "room" would help keep her safe...... I'm tired of abused women and children and I'm tired of a culture that is more interested in the men who take their lives (and the ways in which they do it) then it is in the fact that we have the knowledge to go to Mars. Or that we could put "man" on the planet if we really worked for it...... I long for the age of "doing these things not because they are easy but because they are hard".... of the Peace Corps, of working for equal rights because it was the right thing to do and not because it was "fashionable" and had a new colored ribbon you could wear to prove to the public that you were "aware"....... I'm just tired of all of it CS. It was never meant to be directed at you and I'm sorry beyond words if that's how it made you feel.

And between you and me....... "Nobody Lives" is one of my favorite horror movies because sometimes...... Everybody ought to just die anyway!!!!! Well..... that and the fact that Luke Evans is an honest to god hunk (yes, I bloody loved, his Dracula reboot)!!!!!!!!

:emoji_kiss::emoji_kiss::emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer:

Great movie idea: Reanimated: The Norwegian Blue Parrot (Wherein a Norwegian Blue Parrot is reanimated from the bottom of it's cage and escapes to kill pet store owners across the country. It is hunted by flannel-clad lumberjacks who stop periodically at cheese shops for food, only to find them all out of stock. Failing in their hunt due to lack of nourishment, the lumberjacks are forced to surrender their hunt and leave it to Outlaw Granny Gangs to ultimately bring down the vicious and deadly parrot who has a nasty beak that goes gnash, gnash, gnash!!!!.............. Holy Hand Grenade anyone????)

I adore you you big nut! :emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk::emoji_chipmunk:

Have a beer on me! :emoji_beers: :emoji_kiss::emoji_kiss::emoji_kiss:

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
I'm...broken,
I have and always will, love you just the way you are my friend. The world, my world, wouldn't be the same without you in it!

:emoji_kiss::emoji_kiss::emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: And now I want a "Holy Hand Grenade" symbol!.... :emoji_water_polo: Think naked Python member lobbing the Holy Hand Grenade from a pool with a Catholic Arch Deacon's "hat" on his head! (yeah, yeah, it's a pretty sad stretch isn't it?!) :emoji_wink:

Carol

I have read a lot of stuff
Oh, sweetie - the definition of THAT is "well-read" not "broken" - as garish, gruesome and vile the real-life murders were, the attempts of so many writers to wrap their heads round those atrocities, and ours to fathom what makes sense to us of it all, is surely a sign of our humanity (though in the case of some of the writers, their astute cupidity, of course!)

But how odd how Shakespeare's plays and the ripper's murders should in their own ways both generate so many conspiracy theories!

chainsaw_metal1

Oh, sweetie - the definition of THAT is "well-read" not "broken"
I can always count on my IMDF family to make me feel better about my twisted sensibilities. Thank you muchly.
But how odd how Shakespeare's plays and the ripper's murders should in their own ways both generate so many conspiracy theories!
Coincidence? Mayhaps the Bard is also the Ripper? Ooh, it gives me goosepimples!

chainsaw_metal1

I once had the idea for an historical comedy novel where there was going to be a scene that explained that Stonehenge had been a drunken prank played by a bunch of friends. I really should dig out my notes on all of that.

Carol

I really should dig out my notes on all of that.
Oh, please do! Start a thread on Stonehenge theories and I'll be right there - my best theory is that it was built as a tourist attraction, by the ancient dwellers on Salisbury Plain (so named because it's dead boring), to entice visitors from forest and seashore tribes - so instead of (a) climbing trees and foraging for mushrooms and (b) paddling and enjoying seafood, visitors to Stonehenge could wander round ruddy great rocks and eat suitable tied in sticks of rock and rock cakes.Still working today....

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Great movie idea: Reanimated: The Norwegian Blue Parrot (Wherein a Norwegian Blue Parrot is reanimated from the bottom of it's cage and escapes to kill pet store owners across the country. It is hunted by flannel-clad lumberjacks who stop periodically at cheese shops for food, only to find them all out of stock. Failing in their hunt due to lack of nourishment, the lumberjacks are forced to surrender their hunt and leave it to Outlaw Granny Gangs to ultimately bring down the vicious and deadly parrot who has a nasty beak that goes gnash, gnash, gnash!!!!.............. Holy Hand Grenade anyone????)
I'd totally watch this. You need to get a Kickstarter set up for this so I can give you my money.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
announcement-sign-character-means-corporate-communication-or-con-100259696.jpg

Will

TNT has cancelled its contemporary styled 16th century period drama “Will” after one season.

Laurie Davidson starred in the story of William Shakespeare before he became one of the most famous playwrights of all time.

Olivia DeJonge, Colm Meaney, Jamie Campbell Bower, Mattias Inwood and Ewen Bremner co-starred in the series which managed only 392,000 viewers per episode – the lowest-rated TNT original series that was on the air this past season.

Last edited: