Review Watching The Hobbit

Discussion in 'Lord of the Rings' started by filmfan95, Feb 7, 2017.

1. filmfan95

filmfan95 Member

I was bored, so decided to watch the Hobbit movies for awhile. I just started it, opening titles rolling.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Alex Vojacek

Alex Vojacek Administrator
    Staff Member

The first one is a little slow but the second one gets rolling !

I liked the second and third one

• Like Like x 1
  3. filmfan95

filmfan95 Member

I actually burned the DVDs to my computer, and then edited them with Movie Maker, to cut out a lot of the padding. That's the version I'm watching right now. It's two movies instead of three. The third one is personally my least favorite, especially considering it was a mess to try and edit. I know there are already edits to watch, but I wanted to try it myself. It's just for my friends and family, so we can watch the movie with the aspects we enjoy.

Ten minutes in, and two dwarves have already arrived to Bilbo's house.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Elessar

Elessar New Member

Which version do you watch, theatrical or extended?
    I think the extended is much better.
    The dwarves arriving at Bilbo's house is my favorite part of the first movie.

• Like Like x 2
  5. filmfan95

filmfan95 Member

I used both the theatrical and extended versions of the movies as bases for my cut-down version that's on my computer.

I actually kept the majority of the beginning of the movie. I cut the flashback to Erebor (we hear everything we need to know about it during the party at the Shire, and it's more mysterious that way), and I cut out Frodo (except for a breif cameo). Gandalf is literally onscreen three minutes into the movie.

After that, I did not cut anything until the adventure actually begins, with the exception of one line. I think these scenes are pretty good, other than the one line. The line is, "the dragon is accustomed to the scent of dwarf, but the scent of Hobbit is all but unknown to him." When Bilbo finally does encounter Smaug, it's clear that Smaug is upset at any intruder, whether he recognizes their smell or not, rendering the previous line pointless.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Carol

Carol Very Active Member

Hello Hobbit-friends. I just joined this site tonight so looking forward to lots of Tolkien-friendly chat to come - For what it's worth, for me, all time spent in Middle-Earth is good time spent there... quality AND quantity ... and (in passing though) how long had Smaug been sleeping before the dwarves arrived? Without leaving his golden hoard to take a stroll outside the Lonely Mountain and hygienically shake his tail? Isn't it the smell of dragon that should be worrying us? And causing poor Bilbo's eyes to water? Vicious ammonia/ bacterial backup- that's all I'm saying... but, hey. I'm new here... just feeling me way...

• Like Like x 1
  7. filmfan95

filmfan95 Member

I can't say I didn't enjoy the Dol Guldur subplot in the movies, but when it comes down to it, it just gets annoying that it keeps interrupting the story that I actually went to the theatres to see. I'd be like, "Oh, he's just about to meet Smaug!" But nope, right when it's about to happen, we get interrupted with a scene of Gandalf exploring the high fells. It's like a commercial break rudely interrupting the flow of the story.

I'm thinking about actually making a separate edit that's basically, "The Hobbit without the story of The Hobbit," so that I can watch those scenes as essentially a separate movie.

As for how long Smaug has been in the mountain, he took over hundreds of years ago, but he does leave occasionally to find food, though he doesn't need to very often. Thorin claims that Smaug hasn't been seen for sixty years, implying that the last time Smaug actually left the mountain was sixty years before the events of The Hobbit.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Elessar

Elessar New Member

Hi Carol,
    if you like Tolkien-friendly chat then this is the place to come, I like every Tolkien things and I'm friendly :)

If you worry about Smaug's hygiene problem, I think that, in a very realistic biology point of view, worms and low-level animals are different from big beasts like us. They don't sweat, and they live in harmony with the earthy bacteria surrounding them. Worms can live a long time in dark humid cave without stinking.

About Smaug in particular, well, he bathes in gold, and gold has been known for its antibacterial properties :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. Carol

Carol Very Active Member

Uplifting and reassuring dragon-lore, Elessar: it's just the 60 ish years of giant wyrm guano just out of sight under the top layer of gold that worries me.... still Freud was very keen to equate gold and poo, so who am I to complain how high Smaug stacked both?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Elessar

Elessar New Member

I imagined he (mostly) hibernate during that 60ish years, so he wouldn't eat much, therefore I don't worry about his stack of "the other gold".

filmfan:
    I think it's mostly an editing problem. Among many problems of The Hobbit, editing is one of the thing that sticks out, perhaps because of the hectic schedule at last minute. You feel like they merely cut and paste the movie together. No artistic feel.

• Like Like x 1
  11. filmfan95

filmfan95 Member

Yeah, he also refers to Thorin as "Oakenshield" during his conversation with Bilbo, despite the fact that Thorin didn't earn that name until after Smaug took over the mountain, and I seriously doubt Smaug learned anything about it the few times that he left the mountain.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Carol

Carol Very Active Member

Woof! I would defer to your very superior memory of the detail - but have a tiny niggle of belief in dragon-telepathy to sustain me. Or really good hearing. Or something. Either way, you've moved the discussion a degree above dragon-poo, so I thank you for that!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Janine The Barefoot

Janine The Barefoot Wacky Norwegian Woman

Gandalf stated at Rivendell that there were signs indicating that Sauron was becoming active again and they referenced the dark witch of Angmar, Dol Guldor and the things that were happening in the forest watched over by "The Brown" Wizard. He later said that the whole thing (with Azog & Bolg chasing the dwarves) had been planned from the beginning as a means to allow for the capture of Erebor for it's strategic location in protecting the lands to the West. If Sauron controlled it, Middle Earth could be lost. He stated that Smaug was a part of that plan from the beginning; so I wasn't surprised that he (Smaug) would know about Thorin or that he would use any of Thorin's names. Sauron, as we later discovered, was in fact "The Necromancer" hiding at Dol Guldor and directing/coordinating the entire plan of attack from there...

But that's just what I recall from several viewings of the extended version.