Review War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
sdfdvf.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie.....

After the apes suffer unimaginable losses, Caesar wrestles with his darker instincts and begins his own mythic quest to avenge his kind.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Love all of the Planet of the Apes films, old and new. Maybe even the Tim Burton one, a bit! o_O

So will definitely be seeing this one. I do wonder if they will end up getting to the point in the timeline where they will actually remake the 1968 film?

MovieKnut

Member: Rank 2
The previous two releases were of a higher standard than I expected, given the current level of remakes and sequels. Will definitely see this on the big screen. It is possible that the current series could include a remake of The Planet Of The Apes. That may well be where they finish this series. I would be a nice piece of synchronicity, finishing where the original series started.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Really liked the first one - when I started watching the second on TV quite recently I got bogged down with all the simian subtitles - maybe I've spent so much time loving Monkey Life between 1st and 2nd that REAL primates now call the shots?

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Maybe even the Tim Burton one,
For reasons too complicated to explain I ended up taking a friend's 15 year old daughter to see it. Fifteen year-old humans are very hard work, it turns out. I wish she'd been a chimp (could've just yelled, shrieked and flailed at her), or I'd been an orang-utan ("Whatever, just pass the bananas..."). Under the circumstances the film seemed mostly harmless - very fond memories of the TV series got me through, I think.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Really liked the first one - when I started watching the second on TV quite recently I got bogged down with all the simian subtitles - maybe I've spent so much time loving Monkey Life between 1st and 2nd that REAL primates now call the shots?
If they could get an actual monkey to direct, I might even go! Otherwise... too many apes, too many movies, not enough zoos! I went to a special showing of all the originals in one day... so I'm pretty sure I've got enough of them stored in my memory to last the rest of my life. But for those of you who still want more... rock-on!

Doctor Omega

The New “Apes” Will Close Out A Trilogy

Following the success of 2011’s “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” and the critical and commercial success of 2014’s “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes,” the obvious question was asked – where does this revived franchise end?

The second film’s director Matt Reeves, during interviews for ‘Dawn’, made it clear that the creative end point for the series would end where the original 1968 series effectively began – a distant future with an established ape civilisation and humanity reduced to beasts of burden.

How many films it would take to get there though was the big question. At the time “War for the Planet of the Apes” was being planned, indications from Reeves were that the revived series could go on for several more films before it hit the end point. There were no trilogy plans in place with each entry being handled on a film-by-film basis.

Even as recently as last year, when he was in post-production on ‘War,’ he and producer Dylan Clark said they have ideas where a fourth film could go and they don’t feel burdened or confined storytelling wise.

It’s not clear if that plan has changed, but producer Peter Chernin tells Cinema Blend this week that ‘War’ will very much mark the end point of a trilogy – as opposed to just a third entry in an ongoing series. Chernin says:

“We’ve always looked at these three movies as a trilogy. Not to say it’s the end of the Apes movies because what we’re trying to do is get as close up to the original Planet of the Apes.

But we were always looking at these three movies as a trilogy, and I think this movie in some ways completes this trilogy from when Caesar was born. What we’re trying to do with this movie is bring it to a final war between humans and apes, and obviously, you’ll see what happens there… When Caesar was born, it put him on a collision course with human civilization. And we wanted to complete that collision course in this movie.

This explains why today’s teaser clip includes the tagline ‘Witness the End’ which would suggest ‘War’ is a closing chapter – maybe not for the Apes franchise a whole, but certainly for Caesar’s journey. “War for the Planet of the Apes” opens in cinemas on July 14th.

Final trailer........

Doctor Omega

“War” Reviews Shows ‘Apes. Together. Strong’

new-apes-film-is-really-a-western-696x464.jpg

Following some stellar early social media reaction, full reviews are now available for Matt Reeves’ “War for the Planet of the Apes” and the word is excellent. The film is currently sitting at 95% (7.9/10) on Rotten Tomatoes and at 79/100 on Metacritic.

The first score is on par with “Logan,” the latter score is on par with the previous entry, “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes,” along with “Iron Man,” “Silence,” “Green Room,” “Your Name,” “Sing Street,” and “Black Swan”.

The few criticisms seem to be that of the film being “too bleak”, whilst others complain that in exploring some very dark tangeants it feels a bit hollower overall than the previous two films. Only a few are mixed on it however with most unanimously praising it. Here’s a sample of quotes:

“The fact that a genre entry of this nature, with no intrinsic need of being philosophically nuanced, goes out of its way to endow even its ostensible villains with comprehensible motives rates as a notable achievement..” – Todd McCarthy, The Hollywood Reporter

“It’s fitting that the visual effects have advanced so dramatically since 2011, as it allows the series to suggest that its ape protagonists have evolved to an equivalent degree, and yet, “War’s” story is beneath their intelligence.” – Peter Debruge, Variety

“Brimming with emotional intelligence, the human texture Reeves delivers in Apes separates his film from the rest of the tentpole pack.” – Rodrigo Perez, The Playlist

“The effects are incredible, the action is exciting, the music is great, and Andy Serkis, once again embodying a non-human character through motion-capture technology, remains terrific. But there’s something more here.” – Bilge Ebiri, Village Voice

“It’s engrossing every inch of the way, with casualties, infighting, character flaws, war mongering, and some delicious grandstanding from Harrelson.” – Fionnuala Halligan, Screen International

“With War for the Planet of the Apes, technological wizardry and first-rate storytelling combine into a bracing action-adventure that concludes the best science fiction trilogy since the original trio of ‘Star Wars’ movies.” – Eric Kohn, Indiewire

“Like Caesar and company, the films seem to be getting more intelligent and human as they evolve.” – Chris Nashawaty, Entertainment Weekly

“War for the Planet of the Apes is an excellent closing act to this rebooted trilogy, but also one that does enough world-building that the series can potentially continue from here – and it’s a rare case where, after three movies, we’re left wanting more.” – Scott Collura, IGN

“This solid if unspectacular finish to the Apes trilogy features an A-game Andy Serkis and incredible VFX, but its darker excesses threaten to suffocate at times.” – Matt Maytum, Total Film

“Reeves marshals more than his fair share of battle scenes and sweeping set-pieces, but never forgets the flicker of a face can provide all the spectacle that cinema requires.” – Robbie Collin, The Telegraph

“The psychological wars that have made the prequels simmer with tightly wound tensions are given their most cutting treatment yet.” – Peter Goldberg, Slant Magazine

“War for the Planet of the Apes” opens in cinemas on July 14th.

Doctor Omega

Final UK Trailer: “War for the Planet of the Apes”

final-uk-trailer-war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-696x464.jpg

Int he wake of the glowing reviews from early press screenings, 20th Century Fox has released one last international trailer for Matt Reeves’ “War For The Planet Of The Apes” which opens next month around the world.

The third chapter sees Caesar and his apes are forced into a deadly conflict with an army of humans led by a ruthless Colonel. After the apes suffer unimaginable losses, Caesar wrestles with his darker instincts and begins his own mythic quest to avenge his kind.

Andy Serkis, Woody Harrelson, Steve Zahn, Amiah Miller, Karin Konoval, Judy Greer, and Terry Notary star in the film which kicks off in the U.S. on July 14th

Doctor Omega

Third “Apes” Headed For $65 Million Opening

third-apes-headed-for-65-million-opening.jpg

The first box-office tracking figures for the film are in with Matt Reeves’ “War for the Planet of the Apes” reportedly headed for an opening in the $55-65 million range.

That puts it within the standard range of the franchise. 2011’s “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” opened to $54.8 million domestic, while 2014’s “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” opened to $72.6 million.

Both films combined have earned nearly $1.2 billion worldwide, with ‘Dawn’ being the bigger success with a whopping $500 million from overseas markets with ‘War’ likely to follow.

While this Summer has been ruthless in its treatment of sequels, it has also been kind to well-reviewed titles – something ‘War’ very much has on its side. The film currently holds a trilogy best score of an astonishing 96% (8.3/10) on Rotten Tomatoes, while on Metacritic it ties with ‘Dawn’ for a 79/100.

“War for the Planet of the Apes” is currently slated for release on July 14th.

Doctor Omega

Reeves On Fate Of Second “Apes” Film’s Humans

reeves-on-fate-of-second-apes-films-humans-696x464.jpg

While Caesar has remained a constant throughout the trilogy, the entire human cast of characters in each of the recent “Planet of the Apes” films changes with each movie.

The same is true of this week’s “War for the Planet of the Apes” with the lead sympathetic human roles of Malcolm (Jason Clarke) and Ellie (Keri Russell) from the second film not returning for the new one despite forming a friendship with Caesar by the conclusion of ‘Dawn’.

Already one of the most critically-acclaimed films of the year, ‘War’ is set several years after the events of ‘Dawn’ and the new film offers no explanation or comment in regards to what happened to those characters.

However, the film’s director Matt Reeves has revealed on the Happy Sad Confusedpodcast this week that one of the earlier drafts of the script explicitly touched upon Malcolm’s fate – his actions leading him to cross paths with Woody Harrelson’s The Colonel:

“Yeah, they were, actually, specifically Jason [Clarke]’s character was, and it was a disturbing discovery. The Colonel (Harrelson) had revealed some information about a man who’d come to him when he first got to the city and impressed upon him how important it was to find Caesar, and to tell him that he needed to create peace with this man. That this Ape was not just an Ape but was a great leader, and he thought this guy was crazy.

And now he (Colonel), in the scene with Caesar, says that he now sees what he meant, and Caesar says, ‘Well, what happened to him?’ And The Colonel said, ‘I killed him.’ Caesar is perplexed and asks why, and The Colonel says, ‘His ideas were very dangerous because the ideas were like a virus and they could spread to others, and right now this is a fight for humanity.’ So that’s what happened.”

Reeves went on to say he wound up cutting the moment for story reasons as it didn’t organically fit into the scene in question in the new film. This quote is the closest fans will get to know the truth, and it’s a darker answer than some probably expected – not unsurprising though as ‘War’ is already said to be the darkest of the reboot trilogy to date.

“War for the Planet of the Apes” opens Friday.

Doctor Omega

Fox Planning Big Oscars Push For “Apes”

final-uk-trailer-war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-696x464.jpg

With the exception of “Dunkirk” and “Call Me By Your Name,” the season’s serious awards contenders have yet to really appear. However, there’s one film that is very much planning to be around come voting time – Matt Reeves’ “War for the Planet of the Apes”.

Deadline reports that 20th Century Fox will be launching a major awards campaign effort to land nominations. In fact, it is said to be “like no campaign ever before in the half-century since the studio has been producing these movies”.

This year they will be hoping to land a nomination or award from a critics group or even SAG to get things rolling. The best chance is trying to land a nomination for Andy Serkis’ work as Caesar the Ape.

Fox is also said to be targeting several crafts categories (production design, cinematography, costumes, music, sound, visual effects, makeup, etc.) along with directing and writing in the hopes of building momentum for a possible ‘Best Picture’ nomination.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
But for lack of promotion, Wind River would rightly have a spot in this list. No offense but instead, we're going to drag out yet another set of reboots from a series of movies originally made in the 60's whose biggest claims to fame were a couple of it's stars (have they dragged the gun out of Charlton Heston's cold dead hands yet?) and the make-up....

Call me rude and call me cynical but why not just "reboot" The Oscars? I miss the good old days when nobody knew what Bob Mackie would design for Cher and an American Indian showed up in protest to collect... was it Marlon Brando's Oscar?..... And Sally Field got up and said: "You like me. You really, really like me!" when she got hers.... Ahhh, the good old days!