Review Vincent and the Doctor (2010)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
AUGUST 15, 2013 3:59pm PT by Philiana Ng

Bill Nighy Turned Down 'Doctor Who': Role Has 'Too Much Baggage'

Dr_Black_1.jpg

Bill Nighy, the British actor, has revealed that he was approached to play the Doctor, though he remained tight-lipped on when the offer actually came.

"I will say that I was approached," the 63-year-old said. "But I didn't want to be the Doctor."

Nighy, who next stars in Richard Curtis' About Time (Nov. 8), saw the pressures attached to playing such an iconic part.

"No disrespect to Doctor Who or anything, I just think that it comes with too much baggage," he said.

Nighy had appeared in a supporting role on a 2010 episode of Doctor Who, "Vincent and the Doctor," as Dr. Black, with Matt Smith and then-companion Karen Gillan.

But Nighy had high praise for 55-year-old Scottish actor Peter Capaldi, who ultimately landed the coveted part. BBC One and BBC America aired a one-hour live special revealing Capaldi as the successor to Smith, who will depart as the Doctor following the Christmas special.

"He's a marvelous actor. He'll be very good as the Doctor," Nighy said of Capaldi. "He'll bring a lot of wit and dry humor. He's elegant and he looks great."

Smith's farewell tour continued at the summer Television Critics Association press tour in late July. "I think the show has come to a natural tipping point, and it's at the top of a cycle," Smith said of the difficult decision to depart. "I think it's a good time for me and the show."

Doctor Omega

I just think that it comes with too much baggage,

I have always wondered if Eccleston was a bit more naive and blindly went into this role, e-mailing RTD, requesting to play the part, before eventually realising all of the baggage involved. Then he got the heck out of there, but it has hounded him ever since.

I think Nighy would have made a great Doctor though.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Eccleston was a great Doctor and I was sorry to see him go. After 11 seasons of watching egotistical show runners push their agendas, I see why he quit.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
The end of that episode, with Van Gogh in the museum, always makes me tear up. That said, it was, unfortunately, completely unnecessary. NuWho always pushed things a little too far.

Doctor Omega

Yes, it gets to me too, that ending. But the show does tend to pile on the sentimentality with a bulldozer.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9

I came across this interesting image...

A painting of the TARDIS approaching the Capitol on Gallifrey, done in the style of Vincent Van Gogh.