Review Vicious (2013)

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8

Freddie (Ian McKellen) and Stuart (Derek Jacobi) are an old gay couple who have been together for nearly 50 years. Their lives now revolve around entertaining their frequent guests and hurling insults at each other at every opportunity.

This show was brilliant. It was only two series and a special, but it was so damned funny. McKellen plays Freddie, and actor who hasn't had much success in years, and Jacobi plays Stuart, who is a stay-at-home househusband. Their friends are Freddie's brother and his wife, and their friend Violet, who is always having man trouble. They are introduced to their new neighbor, Ash, a young man new to the city. They take him in to their circle, and he immediately finds himself enamored with the older couple. The two of them are always insulting each other, but they always have at least one scene where they show that they truly love one another. There are also really touching moments, like when Freddie and Stuart reflect on gays in modern society, and Stuart reflects on the days of being thrown in the back of police vans.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Yes, I loved this series. It was criticised for feeling too much like a seventies sitcom in the early episodes, but I found that familiarity a pleasant change to much modern stuff and I think it really found it's feet by the time it ended - all too soon i.m.o.