Fun US vs. UK Television Format

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Over the years, I have lamented that there were so many British programs that only lasted a few seasons/series, and then disappeared. As I've gotten older, I see some wisdom in this type of format. Often, programs will do only a few series, with about six episodes each. Some shows last for years, others make it only one series. It leaves the viewers wanting more, but I think that's rather brilliant.

Here in America, television programs can last for years, with anywhere from 12-24 episodes. Sometimes the show remains relevant to the audience, and can continue to entertain. Many times, we see shows that stay on the air for a decade or more, with people constantly complaining that the writing has lapsed, the actors are phoning it in, sitcoms are no longer funny, too many cast changes, etc. I understand, there must still be viewers, because shows don't stay on the air without ratings, and without ad revenue.

Personally, I think of shows like Seinfeld, a show that, while I was never a huge fan, seemed like it was just going through the motions by the end, and nowhere near as clever as the first few seasons. Sure, they were still high in the ratings when they finally called it quits, but did it really need to last as long as it did? On the other hand, a sitcom like Fawlty Towers did two series, and didn't grow stale or feel forced, even when Cleese and Booth were going through their divorce.

So here's the question(s), I guess. As some US shows are going more toward the fewer episodes/seasons format, should more go for it? Does a full season feel like there's too much filler, especially if there's a story arc for the whole season? Would taking a break between seasons be good for actors to have time away from the show, or are American audiences really too attention deficit and forget about the show if it didn't come right back in the fall?

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
There are positives and negatives to both styles. The US style means we get more of what we enjoy. And usually they can do more episodes per season due to a larger cast enabling filming of two or more scenes concurrently. But the UK style of smaller casts and lower episode numbers means we generally get less "filler" material, and often have access to big name actors (who wouldn't want to be tied down to a 24 episode season). Sherlock is a great example of this. There's no way actors like Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman would commit to a contract for a multi year 24 episode show.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
UK sitcoms tend to be the vision of just one or two writers, so asking them to churn out 24 episodes is a lot. US sitcoms often have a staff of writers so asking them to only come up with 6 episodes is a bit of a waste.

Entirely depends on what type of show it is but I think the system works as it is.

The best immediate comparison is The Office. In the UK, it was Gervais and Merchant writing about their personal experiences of working in offices. In the US, that personal touch was less present but it didn't really matter given the quality of the writing, performances etc.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I think that's another thing I like about how shows work over there. You have a much smaller writing staff, so it does have a different feel. When you have a staff of writers, it sometimes feels manufactured. Maybe it's just my take on it, I dunno.

And as an American, I will always love the UK version of The Office more. The US version is good, but it lacks something. Maybe it's just that I'm such a huge Gervais fan.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
shows like Seinfeld
1) I may be the only person in the history of that show who openly hated it.... But then, I'm also not a huge fan of Woody Allen so ya'll can do your own math on where that puts me.

2) I have always admired shows that, like those from the UK, put something worth watching into every ep. In other words, "filler" makes me crazy. So I have to go with yes. Do fewer episodes and make them all count. Also, networks should work together to spread shows out over the course of the year. That way everybody gets more viewers, there is no bloody "downtime" and no wars to create competition that serves no one (including the networks themselves as we just wait a bit and watch it online or streaming from a box) and generally only results in a cranky, unhappy public.....

But that's just me. :emoji_kiss: :emoji_dancer:

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
strike back?
Easily one of my favorite series ever!!!! Well cast, well shot, great action and really good fun. I miss it terribly. I think it may be time for another "binge"!.... Thanks for bringing it back up. I know it sounds back-ass crazy but for some reason that show just makes me smile.

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: Ohhh, and DBs for "My Boys" on the show! :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers:

It's the perfect gift for Sully although I don't think Stonebridge would approve!

Sully Sullivan is on Blindspot by the way but the show isn't good enough for him! I am really liking Chicago Justice though so I hope it gets renewed.

croft_alice

Member: Rank 4
Easily one of my favorite series ever!!!! Well cast, well shot, great action and really good fun. I miss it terribly. I think it may be time for another "binge"!.... Thanks for bringing it back up. I know it sounds back-ass crazy but for some reason that show just makes me smile.

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: Ohhh, and DBs for "My Boys" on the show! :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers:

It's the perfect gift for Sully although I don't think Stonebridge would approve!

Sully Sullivan is on Blindspot by the way but the show isn't good enough for him! I am really liking Chicago Justice though so I hope it gets renewed.
Yeah,i'm watching right now blindspot,the acting it's a little weak,but it's a good show,by the way,i miss scott