Review Trek Babylon!

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
2017-04-28-10-47-43.jpg

gene-header.jpg

There has been great drama onscreen in Trek through the years.

And there has been great drama offscreen too!

From Rodenberry credit-hogging, to Robert Beltran's apparent disdain for Trek....

From Grace Lee Whitney's sad departure to William Shatner falling out with.... seemingly everybody!

From Harlan Ellison writing a book about how they ruined City to David Gerrold's TNG court case.

From Harve Bennett wanting to make a Starfleet Academy movie with a younger cast for Star Trek VI to Brian Fuller's recent departure from Star Trek Discovery....

And much, much more....

Should they have just filmed the offscreen stuff?
:emoji_confused:

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Some time after that interview, he decided that he needed Star Trek fans to come and see him in his play.

Note the kindly way that he invites them....

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

He still does conventions. I am surprised he hasn't been tackled about all of this.

Some apologists have said that it is just his sense of humour and that his points about the scripts were valid.

But as for the way he expressed those views.... :emoji_confused:

Doctor Omega

Jeri Ryan and Kate Mulgrew had their own tensions during the making of the show....

ryannem.jpg

They have since become friends though....

CMWk7xuUEAMJoAO.jpg

Amyghost

Member: Rank 3
Ye gods, that's just sad...
And surprising for all the wrong reasons.[/QUOTE]
Looks pretty apparent she's let herself go dreadfully; often enough a possible indicator of mental illness. You have to wonder if Hollywood just tends to attract the fragile and defective, or are some people made that fragile and defective by the system? Either way, pathetic, and you can only hope that she's received some help since this incident.

Doctor Omega

grace-lee-whitney-tribute-620x330.png

hqdefault.jpg

The story of Grace Lee Whitney is one that is both tragic and - eventually - triumphant.....

She refused ever to actually name the "Executive" who sexually assaulted her, but hints abound throughout her autobiography.....

Paramount - and their "franchise" - might well have reason to be nervous if these hints were ever corroborated and other potential victims came forward.

The_Longest_Trek.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

William Shatner has had his differences with the supporting cast over the years.

There remains a difference with George Takei......

hollywoodstage2.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Jeri Ryan Opens Up About Star Trek: Voyager On-Set Feud

hqdefault.jpg

Jeri Ryan Opens Up About Star Trek: Voyager On-Set Feud

It seems that tensions were high in the latter seasons of Star Trek: Voyager and actress Jeri Ryan is finally opening up about the matter.

Ryan was a guest on Aisha Tyler’s Girl on Girl podcast. Though the podcast was released last year, her discussion of how her arrival in the fourth season of Star Trek: Voyager didn’t go over well with a certain member of the established cast has only just been brought to the attention of Star Trek fans.

Ryan recalled how UPN and Paramount were using the introduction of Seven of Nine to push Star Trek: Voyager and the Star Trek franchise into the mainstream. This diverted a lot of attention her way (via Trek Core):

It was understandably tough for an existing cast that had been together for three years already. Star Trek, traditionally — because this was like the fourth incarnation of Star Trek at the time — was always the Captain, or the Captain and First Officer. Typically, it’s the Captain that gets the attention of the press, and the shows revolve around that.

So all of a sudden, all of that shifted drastically in Season Four and now the writers, who have been writing for the same seven characters for three years, are salivating for something new to write with. They’ve got this character that’s so rich because she’s not even human when they start out…

Consequently, all the scripts revolved around Seven of Nine and her relationship with the other characters, of course — which actually ended up leading to some really rich storylines for the other characters.

But that’s hard when the new kid comes in and suddenly it’s all about them. That was tough, and it was particularly tough for some more than others, which was not real fun. It really made it an unpleasant work experience.”

Star Trek: Voyager Feud

Ryan says that the unpleasantness went on for quite some time:

"It continued, for quite a while. I mean, for the most part, everybody was phenomenal and absolutely great — and the guys, my God, I loved my boys on that show. [Laughs] They were hilarious to the point that if I had a two-shot with and then it’s my close-up, I had to look off-camera because if I looked at them I’d just break and crack up.

But yeah, it was unnecessarily unpleasant for a couple of years — basically, until I started dating [showrunner Brannon Braga]. Once I was dating the boss, funny how things suddenly cleaned up!

[Laughs] But it was really, really tough the first couple of years. and there were many days when I was nauseous before going into work because it was that miserable. Just unnecessarily, intentionally unpleasant.”

Ryan also explained that, in an intimate workplace environment like a television set with regular cast, there’s little anyone can do to avoid someone who is holding a grudge and gave examples of the kinds of antics she’d have to deal with:

There was nothing I COULD do — literally I would be nauseous when I knew these scenes were coming up. When there were a lot of scenes with this person the next day, I was sick to my stomach all night, just miserable. It was so unnecessary and just so petty; things like, oh my God…[Laughs]

We’d have scenes — because a lot of my scenes took place in this set they built for my character called the Astrometrics Lab. It was a really impressive-looking set with this huge, massive, curved green-screen and this giant window. So there’s only one entrance to the set, because all the cameras were built up on platforms and stuff to shoot the window — there was just one set of doors.

I remember this one time in particular, I had this once scene with this person, just the two of us. We do their coverage first, and shoot their side of this really dramatic scene, and then it was time for my coverage. Before every close-up, the hair and makeup and wardrobe teams come in and do touch-ups and everything to make sure everything’s right… [Laughs wildly]

[The co-star] shut the door to the set, and said, “She’s fine. LET’S GO.” Wouldn’t let them in. Just stupid, stupid stuff like that.

Another time, I don’t even think it was the same day, but a different scene with that person on the same set — we do their side first, and then it’s my coverage on close-up for this really intense scene. The literally sat off-camera picking their nails, thumbing through a book, and just haphazardly saying their lines off camera without even making eye contact.”

Ryan goes out of her way not to personally identify who it is she’s referring to, but given her descriptions and past interviews with other Star Trek: Voyagercast members, it's hard not to come to the conclusion that she’s referring to lead actress Kate Mulgrew, who played Captain Kathryn Janeway.

Mulgrew recently made her own comments regarded Ryan’s arrival as part of the Star Trek: Voyager cast, noting how Seven of Nine’s existence seemed to go against Mulgrew’s own personal rules about sex and sexuality on the series.

In her comments, Mulgrew even seemed to reference some of the same tension that Ryan was telling Tyler about.

“That moment stands out for me when Jeri Ryan arrived. That was an interesting moment because – there’s been a lot of controversy about it generated by me – again unfortunate,” Mulgrew. “When you’re the first female captain you hope against hope that that’s going to be sufficient until the day it wasn’t. Because men like – as they should, as all of you should and I love and adore every one of you – they love sex. And they need it. And I said ‘No’ to all of that going in."

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Paramount Threatened To Replace A TNG Cast Member With Jeri Ryan In Star Trek: Nemesis

sirtisseven-head.jpg

The final film for the Star Trek: The Next Generation crew was nearly short one cast member.

According to Marina Sirtis, Star Trek: The Next Generation’s Deanna Troi, negotiations for her return in Star Trek: Nemesis were not going smoothly and at one point Paramount Pictures threatened to replace her in the film with Jeri Ryan, the actress who played the Borg Seven of Nine on Star Trek: Voyager.

“When I was negotiating for Nemesis they literally threatened to fire me and recast Troi,” Sirtis recalled during a panel at the Star Trek Las Vegas Convention (via Trek Movie). “Well not actually recast, but they said ‘We are going to fire you and hire Jeri Ryan. And I said ‘Well Jeri Ryan won’t do it for that money, that is for sure.’”

While this is the first time that Sirtis has openly discussed the threat, Ryan has mentioned in it the past, saying that she was utterly confused by how Seven of Nine could possibly make sense showing up in a Star Trek: The Next Generation movie. With Star Trek: Voyager off the air as of 2001, Seven of Nine technically wasn’t doing anything else, but with much of Star Trek: Nemesis revolving around Troi’s wedding the film’s script would have needed a serious rewrite to account for Troi’s absence and Seven of Nine’s introduction.

Sirtis brought up the story in response to a fan question about difficult contract negotiations, which led to a broader discussion about pay inequality in Hollywood.

“Women are paid less than men in Hollywood, like everywhere else,” Sirtis said. “Women are always paid less and the negotiations are always uglier because there is some kind of feeling that we don’t deserve the same money as the boys. It was always ugly. I quit smoking for six years but what got me started again was contract negotiations with Paramount. That is how bad it was.”

Sirtis got some support from her captain, Patrick Stewart, on the matter. “Women are paid less than men almost everywhere in most countries in the world. And it is an inequity that has to be corrected.”

In Star Trek: Nemesis, Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart) diverts the starship Enterprise from its scheduled trip to Cmdr. Riker (Jonathan Frakes) and Counselor Troi's (Marina Sirtis) wedding to negotiate a peace treaty with the Romulans. Picard is shocked when Shinzon (Tom Hardy), the new Praetor of the Romulans, admits to being a clone of him. When the crew members discover a break-in on their computer, they are forced into a life-or-death battle to stop Shinzon's Warbird before it can destroy the Earth.

Released in 2002, Star Trek: Nemesis was directed by Stuart Baird and written by John Logan from a story developed by Logan, Brent Spiner, and producer Rick Berman. The film starred the Star Trek: The Next Generation cast, including Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner, Levar Burton, Michael Dorn, Gates McFadden, and Marina Sirtis, with Tom Hardy playing the film’s villain, Praetor Shinzon.