Review Titanic (1997)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
frfe.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie....

A seventeen-year-old aristocrat falls in love with a kind but poor artist aboard the luxurious, ill-fated R.M.S. Titanic.

And then there was that song of course....

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I was dragged to the theatre four times for this one. Honestly, I don't think it's a terrible film. However, four times is overkill. At least I was treated to Billy Zane at his OTT best. And, of course, a naked Kate Winslet.

I haven't watched it in quite a while, so I don't know if it still holds up.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

Raise the Titanic
is a 1980 adventure film produced by Lew Grade's ITC Entertainment and directed by Jerry Jameson. The film, which was written by Eric Hughes (adaptation) and Adam Kennedy (screenplay), was based on the book of the same name by Clive Cussler. The story concerns a plan to recover the RMS Titanic due to the fact that it was carrying cargo valuable to Cold Warhegemony.

Although the film starred Jason Robards, Richard Jordan, David Selby, Anne Archer, and Sir Alec Guinness, it received mixed reviews by critics and audiences and proved to be a box office bomb. The film only grossed about $7 million against an estimated $40 million budget. Lew Grade later remarked "it would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic".

It has a well regarded soundtrack though....

Last edited:

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
I am wondering if anyone know's which version is the real version of the song on Youtube? Reason why I am looking for it cause my sister has been trying to find the song all these years. She use to have it taped off the radio, but since has lost it.

Everytime I think I find it, it's the wrong version. Any help?

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
In what way is it the wrong version?
The original video is on YouTube and I would assume that it is the same as the radio edit.

Last edited:

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
The radio edit of the song had lines, and sounds from the movie. It made it sound better and more dramatic. If you look it up type in the title and radio edit. So it would be My Heart Will Go On radio edit.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Technically, the video version is the album version, which makes it the "real" version. I've never heard the radio edit, but I heard one a few years ago that someone made with Simple MInds' "Don't Forget About Me", which used lines from THE BREAKFAST CLUB. I wish I could find that one somewhere.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Saw it. Hated it.....

But then I'm one of "those people" who believe that ships like Titanic & Edmond Fitzgerald should be left on the floor of the respective bodies of water at the bottom of which they lay. I applaud that Bob Ballard found the big "T" and that they found and brought up the bell up from the fore of the EF. But other than that, I think the end of their respective stories should remain under the water that claimed them.

I saw the tour of "The Titanic" and found it fascinating but that's enough for me. I've always believed that the men and women and children who went down on each (and so many others) deserve to rest where they are. The US preoccupation with disaster and the desire to see everything that comes with it has bordered on the obscene from time to time and in many cases reveals our general lack of respect for the tragedy itself, in the middle of our obsession with seeing the "aftermath". When I pass an accident on the side of the road I slow just enough to make sure help has arrived or been called for and then pray that everyone involved is OK. I'm not looking for "blood, guts and bodies" just so I'll have a story to tell at the Post Office or wherever else I may be.

I was at UPS one afternoon when a young man came in talking about an older gentleman who had been hit by a car crossing a Highway that runs from South Seattle to Everett and he was excitedly telling everyone in line how he was the guy who had hit that man....
"It was totally his fault and I got a day off with pay!"...... I remarked that hitting another human being with one's car would be a good reason to seek a support group to deal with the aftermath and his response was "Why would I do that? It wasn't my fault!"......
This, even though that elderly gentleman had been killed in the crossing. There are some things I will simply never understand. But I do know that tragedy on the scale of those ships going down needs to be left well-enough alone.

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: And for all those lost at "sea".......:emoji_disappointed_relieved: :emoji_cry: :emoji_pray::emoji_frowning2: