Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

Your thoughts and views on the script-writing and script-editing work of Eric Saward on Classic Who....

Did you love his work?

Or hate it?

And, either way, why?

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Your thoughts and views of the work on Classic Who of writer and script editor, Christopher H. Bidmead?

Did you love it?

Or hate it?

And, either way, why?

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Well it's largely thanks to him (through his many, many novelisations) that I learned the history of the Doctor and grew to love all his incarnations. Although a recent reread of the entire classic series demonstrated that his novelisations were pretty much a bare bones rehash of the script. As the story range expanded and some of the story writers got involved in novelising their scripts it was good to see that many of them took the opportunity to develop their stories and include bits that had been cut due to cost or time restrictions, and explain in more detail stuff that was a bit unclear on screen.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I feel cheated that I never got the chance to read the novelizations growing up. Our school library had the Star Trek novelizations, which I digested, and Star Wars books were found everywhere, but no one had the Doctor Who books. And being a poor lad, I never had the money to purchase them when I did get to a book store. I'm interested in someday collecting them and reading them, if for no other reason than to enjoy the stories on a new level.

As far as a writer on the series, I thought he was great. He wrote some really wonderful stories.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Horror of Fang Rock, with its huge death toll (everyone except the Doctor and Leela) wouldn't have been out of place in the Eric Saward era. But it had a level of ongoing horror/thriller that wasn't evident during the Saward years.

Doctor Omega

Your thoughts, views and memories of the works of Terry Nation, both in this and other shows.....

And, as a side issue, do you feel that Ray Cusick was unfairly treated regarding credit for the the co-creation of - and royalties from - the Daleks?

Last edited:

alpha128

Member: Rank 3
I am only familiar with his Doctor Who work. I own Boucher's "The Face of Evil" and "The Robots of Death" on DVD.

"Robots" is my #5 Classic Who story. "Face" is not as good, but still worth owning.

Doctor Omega

Watching him in interviews I think that Eric comes across as an affable and pleasant enough guy.

Except for the blaming....

John this....

John that....

"Oh dear! I'm blaming him again!"

No real attempt made to burden his share of the responsibility for the train wreck that was Trial of a Timelord for starters. Only moaning that John backed out on the cliffhanger ending.

Yes, he is entitled to his viewpoint that Colin was miscast, but he turned to Colin for advice at the time and breathed not a word to him.

His work since Who has been patchy to non-existent. He could have got his act together with Big Finish, or written a thinly disguised novel about his life or something, but no....

His early stuff was actually okay in many respects and it must have been a growing nightmare for him, trying to commission good scripts that would then be arbitrarily vetoed by JNT for no good reason.

I think where he went wrong was in latching onto Caves of Androzani and deciding that a whole season (22) with a similar grim, gritty, casual death filled tone was a good idea. It wasn't.

Then Trial was, I thought, a lazy idea from someone who wasn't really bothered that much. He should have left at the end of 22 imo.,which he admits himself.

Sadly, for himself and everyone around him, except Ian Levine who was lapping all the drama and attacks on JNT up, he did not.

Doctor Omega

One man and his agent. Happy to take all the credit and threaten to sue anyone who even said the word Dalek, while forgetting the contribution of Ray Cusick. Also lazy with scripts, happy to run to the airport while leaving a few sheets of paper that were supposed to comprise the Dalek Master Plan.

I always loved the fact that David Whittaker (in my opinion) wrote the Daleks better than their creator did.

Doctor Omega

Bidmead always struck me as a bit too full of himself regarding his abilities.

Having said that, he did write some marvellous, imaginative tales.

But having the Doctor open the doors and let the entire River Thames into the Tardis was and still is a silly idea! :emoji_alien:

Doctor Omega

I think that Andrew did a better job than Eric Saward, but was fighting a losing battle all the way thanks to the higher ups at the BBC.

I think that the Saward interview in Starburst helped make JNT reign in some of his control freak tendencies and let Andrew get on with the job.

Some ideas such as the More Than Just a Time Lord were bold and understandable.

I am just glad that the series went out on a creative high, rather than a low - and Andrew is to be largely thanked for that i.m.o.