Review The Works of Franz Kafka

Hux

Member: Rank 6

I still remember reading The Trial and feeling that build-up of anxiety as Joseph K was accused of a crime (but never told what it was) and made to feel guilty despite not knowing why.

That feeling that you've done something wrong because people tell you that you have. Goes all the way back to childhood. A brilliantly written book.

Likewise, Metamorphosis was uniquely brilliant at describing that feeling of self consciousness, that sense of unease, uncertainty, paranoia.

I also enjoyed The Castle though it was a very different novel.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Yes, Metamorphosis and The Trial are the two works that I have always associated with him.

The Castle is one I will have to check out.

It is a word that is often thrown around too much, but I think "genius" is not too strong a label to attach to him.

The Seeker

I read a short story from him called "The Penal Colony". It described a man's execution machine. Graphic and chilling!

Hux

Yeah, I read that. He has quite a lot of short stories. There was one I recall about a man spending his entire life waiting to be let into a building or something.

Hux

I read America (a more conventional story) but interestingly still thought I was losing my mind because the end of the book suddenly becomes quite incongruent and wrongish. I eventually discovered that the book was unfinished and several chapters were missing.