Review The Witch (2015)

Hux

Member: Rank 6
I was hugely impressed by this.

Not your standard teenagers in peril, jump scare stuff but a very creepy and unsettling psychological horror. An English family new to the Americas in the 17th century are kicked out of their New England community (for unknown reasons though its implied that there might be a supernatural reason).

The family then try to start their own farm in the middle of nowhere but the baby is taken. From this point on, things get very disturbing.

Some of the most amazing acting performances I've ever seen (especially those creepy little twins).

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Hah! Another one that's sneaked under my radar - I mistakenly thought you were going to be talking about The Love Witch here, which I still have every intention of tracking down although it's playing slightly hard to get - but this one also looks very interesting.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Does it have lots of blood? can I watch it with my kids?, they love scary movies but not extreme horror.
I think there's quite a bit of blood.

I think this film proved fairly disappointing to the average youngster though (raised on a diet of jump scares and slasher type horror movies) as reflected in the 6.8 rating on IMDb.

Some people adore it, some found it too slow and meandering.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Kermode Uncut: Witch Responses

I posted recently about the marketing strategy for The Witch and whether it had been misleading. Here are some of the suggestions I received for a better campaign.