Info The Video Store

Discussion in 'Video' started by Doctor Omega, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

[​IMG]

Memories of those video stores that popped up everywhere back in the day?

Did you work in one?

Did you have a huge overdues bill on your tapes?

Any and all memories welcome...

Good and bad!

#1 Doctor Omega, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. duzit

duzit Very Active Member

There was a time I belonged to 2 video stores & something that the elders here will know,
    Columbia Video Club. My whole life I have loved movies, so when I was able to afford them,
    I made sure I got my fill. The stores & the club lasted until I discovered something called
    "Netflix". Again, I will be dating myself, but the Netflix then was not the Netflix that it is now.
    I got tired of running to the stores w/late fees. So I signed up for the very new DVD home
    delivery service. This was WAY before streaming, a DVD took about 1 week to arrive in the mail.
    The plan I belonged to allowed 2 DVD ' S out at the same time. The trick was u didn't receive
    them together. I loved not having to run to the stores, no late fees, mailed them back in the
    pre-paid envelope & waited for the next one to arrive. Long story short, I am one of the original
    Netflix members. I have long since stopped the DVD ' S & am now happy w/streaming. Until they
    come up with something better, this is the way I will see my movies. I know this was long,
    so thanks for reading◆◆◆♡♡♡

ps: I probably helped put the stores out of business...

• Like Like x 1
  3. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Very Active Member

I miss video stores so much. The only chain store we had in our area was Movies America, and everything else were mom & pop types stores where they had such a wonderful, eclectic mix of movies. I remember sitting for hours just talking with store clerks about movies, and having someone actually recommend movies to check out, not an algorithm that told me what "others who watched what I liked watched". Growing up, my family and I haunted these shops, finding all sorts of movies that were off the beaten path, and spending many an hour watching movies together. I truly miss those days. I'm glad that I can now stream movies, with no threat of late fees, and that there are places online (like here) where I can go to get actual suggestions, but there was something magical about those shops (like the little room in the back that had the strings of beads for a door that you couldn't go into as a kid).

I applied to work at several shops, but never got hired, mostly because I had long hair at that point. It used to frustrate me, because I knew more about movies than most kids, and would have been a much better asset.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheSowIsMine

TheSowIsMine Active Member

We had 3 in my neighbourhood and sometimes none of them had something I wanted to see.
    One of them, a very small one, had this guy working there, and he always gave me tips. It was cool that he kept an interest in his customers.
    Sometimes you got a free drinking glass with a movie. It had the poster on it, which faded overtime in the dishwasher.
    Eventually torrents came along and downloading wasn't illegal in Holland, so bye bye video stores.

5. chainsaw_metal1

The most you could get at any of our video stores was a contact buzz. There was always a funny smell coming from the back room of the one video store that I could never identify until I got older.

6. Janine The Barefoot

Janine The Barefoot Wacky Norwegian Woman

I used to take my pet white rat (Snowball) into Blockbuster on my shoulder with me to rent movies. The evening mgr. said she was an "acceptable" visitor as long as the ratings complied with her age group! He also told me not to bring her in during the day because the day manager wasn't as "rodent friendly" as he was.... the evening visitors on the nights she came with me all agreed!

:emoji_chipmunk: had to go with the squirrel because there aren't any rodent symbols.... :emoji_cry: :emoji_astonished: :emoji_baby: :emoji_scream: :emoji_shrug:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Janine The Barefoot

Our last movie together was Dr Doolittle.... then she passed away in her sleep on my chest. Damn I loved that critter. You should of have seen us cruising around town with her on my shoulder and the window of my car rolled down just enough so the wind could blow over her. I think she was a dog in a previous life!

:emoji_kiss: :emoji_dancer:

• Like Like x 2
  8. chainsaw_metal1

Gotta say, I'm not much for rodents, but that sounds like one hip rat. I wish I could have met her.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Janine The Barefoot

As one of the ranking Queens of Weird Pet People, I can safely say you'da loved her CSM and she'd have loved you right back!
    :emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  10. chainsaw_metal1

Sweet! hahaha

I grew up in an apartment, so I didn't grow up with pets, and never really became an animal person. I had friends with pets, and I liked them, but I knew I didn't have to take care of them and could leave at some point. Then I married an animal person, and I have to deal with cats. Guess who hates cats. Just guess.

That being said, I would love to someday own a python. Alas, the lady has a fear of snakes. So, yeah, no python for me.

If any of them have more than four legs, you can keep that to yourself. My wife has to kill those for me.

• Like Like x 1