Review Son of Frankenstein (1939)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
First off, I think it's just as good as the first two. The cast is wonderful. Boris brings his best, Basil Rathbone was absolutely brilliant, and yes, Bela steals the show in this one. Second, it's a good thing that they filmed it in black & white. It keeps the creepy tone of the first two. Filming in b&w creates shadows and atmosphere that would have gotten lost.

I say that, knowing full-well that filming in color actually worked in the advantage for Hammer. Their films would have looked naff in b&w. All that glorious blood...

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Yes, I like this one too. Oh, heck! I like all of the Universal Frankenstein's. There is plenty of humour laced in here too, with that damned giant door knocker and the policeman who is practically living at Frankenstein's house with his constant visits and practically eating them out of house and home.

Bela definitely outshone Karloff, who looks a little better fed here and slightly less cadaverous. A quality cast all round, but I can see why Karloff called it a day as the Monster after this one.