Review The Planet of the Apes TV Series (1974)

Discussion in 'Planet Of The Apes' started by Doctor Omega, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Thoughts and memories of this short lived, live action, television series from 1974?

#1 Doctor Omega, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

Watched an episode of this this morning: Episode 2: The Gladiators.

A young Marc Singer, later of V and Beastmaster fame, turns up as one of the gladiators, with one of the astronauts having a punch up with someone.

It was a typical episode of this show actually. They make some friends at a new location, make some enemies and Urko the Gorilla turns up at some point to cause trouble.

It was a potentially great show with a great premise, but it is such a shame that it never aspired to be greater than it was, imo.

3. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

I own it on DVD and for what it was, I enjoyed it.

I have also managed to work it into the continuity - and I use that word in its broadest possible meaning - of the film series. I believe the pilots took off after Taylor and Brent, but arrived first in the future.

That might help to explain part of the reason as to why Doctor Zaius did not quite seem to be as surprised by Taylor's abilities as perhaps he should have been. As a high ranking official within Ape society, he had been able to gain access to the various state records and official secrets on file about certain earlier incidents.

It was also nice to see Cornelius' ancestor in it.

Just a theory...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

A nice theory - and it works for me! :emoji_alien:

5. alpha128

alpha128 Member: Rank 3

But how do you explain that the apes were so shocked when Taylor spoke, while the humans of the TV series talked all the time?

6. ant-mac

ant-mac Administrator
    Staff Member

Perhaps the knowledge was supressed by the authorities to avoid panic in the general population. In any case, talking Humans had only ever been encountered by a very small fraction of the population, so it would have been fairly easy to hush up any news about such events. There might or might not have been the odd rumour that was the focus of idle speculation in private, but it's not as if it was constantly debated on the front page of a newspaper in in the local market in Ape City.

Besides, you are forgetting basic bias and bigotry. Why would an average member of Ape society even consider for a moment that such a dirty and inferior animal like a Human could possibly be capable of speech? Also, it's not like they had the internet or whistle-blowers left, right and centre. It would take a very brave or suicidal individual to defy the orang-utan or gorilla authorities.

Just a few brief thoughts on the matter.