Review The Troughton Doctor

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
As a kid, I didn't quite get Troughton. As I got older, I liked his Doctor much more. I realized the genius behind the persona of the Cosmic Hobo, that Bill had been the Grandfather (literally), very much the gentleman but curmudgeonly and stubborn at times. Troughton was more child-like, more in awe, but he also used that facade to dupe many an enemy.

He was also a brilliant actor outside of DOCTOR WHO. I still love seeing him as the priest in THE OMEN, even though his part is rather short. I think it's sad that he wasn't able - or, perhaps, willing - to give up his vices even as they were killing him. Having one lung removed due to cancer, but continuing his habit which eventually took his life is a tragedy (I'm not judging, I'm currently trying to quit smoking again, so I understand the addiction, and I know full well from his example how my own life could end).

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I think I was a little older when I finally saw more of his episodes, so by then I really liked his take on the character. The most I had really seen had been in The Five Doctors. I love how he plays the clown, but underneath that is still the Time Lord we know and love, who will stand up to any evil and always fight for what's right and just. Plus, he and Jamie had just about the best Doctor/companion relationship ever.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Patrick Troughton was Doctor Who when I was a kid and I've always had a soft spot for his interpretation and adventures! I'm still not sure whether it was Evil of The Daleks or The Macra Terror that are my earliest memories of the show but the moments in The Cyber-Control of Tomb with The Cybermen sending Cybermats up through the roof to get the astronauts are definitely in there from first transmission!
JB

Gavin

VIP
I wish the technology existed to extract those missing episodes like EVIL and MACRA from your viewing memory, JB! :emoji_grin:
I'm sure that Google would be working on something like that. Not for the benefit of retrieving lost episodes but for the data they could exploit by accessing people's memories. The side benefit would be the reconstruction of all of the missing episodes.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
The side benefit would be the reconstruction of all of the missing episodes.
There might be a problem with all that blinking that JB will have done while watching the episodes. Mark Ayes and the Restoration team could get around that I guess. Stealing other frames etc. But, if he watched THE MACRA TERROR from behind the sofa for instance, there is always the problem of the family dog wandering in front of the screen etc., distance from the television etc. Also, JB might be constantly looking down at a plate while eating saturday's teatime meal. etc.

This technological breakthrough may not be the answer to our hopes that we thought after all. :emoji_disappointed:

johnnybear

The BBC are up to their old ricks again by re-releasing Enemy of The World, this time with bonus extra features! (Which they could have done back in 2013) but I doubt I'll be double dipping again! That is unless they re-release Web of Fear with the missing third episode (Or was it intentionally held back to ensure a bigger retail success five years on?) That or an Earthshock SE perhaps?
JB

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
The BBC are up to their old ricks again by re-releasing Enemy of The World, this time with bonus extra features! (Which they could have done back in 2013) but I doubt I'll be double dipping again! That is unless they re-release Web of Fear with the missing third episode (Or was it intentionally held back to ensure a bigger retail success five years on?) That or an Earthshock SE perhaps?
JB
The original version of THE ENEMY OF THE WORLD became faulty, so I might take the opportunity to buy another copy when the special edition becomes available.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

The special features lined up for it......

• Remastered episodes. Even though all episodes were restored in 2013 for the previous DVD release, Peter Crocker from the Restoration Team is using advances in technology since then to go over each one with a fine tooth comb to ensure they are now presented in the best possible quality for this special edition.

• “Treasures Lost and Found” – produced by Ed Stradling. With so much information now available about every Doctor Who serial, it’s not easy to learn anything new, so Toby Hadoke embarks on an exciting treasure hunt to find out all he can about the production. Along the way he’ll interview some of the cast and crew including Frazer Hines, Mary Peach and David Troughton – who made his first TV appearance in this serial as an extra.
    • “Recovering the Past – The Search for The Enemy of the World” – produced by Paul Vanezis. A brand new interview with the episode hunter Philip Morris, we hear how he tracked down the last surviving film copy of the serial to a dusty room in the African desert.
    • “Remembering Deborah Watling” – produced by Cameron McEwan (Former Blogtor Who). Family, friends and colleagues pay tribute to Debbie Watling who played Victoria Waterfield, companion to Patrick Troughton’s doctor.
    • Audio commentaries on all six episodes produced by John Kelly. Contributors include Frazer Hines, Mary Peach, Gordon Faith, Milton Johns and Sylvia James. Moderator is Simon Harries.
Other Items include;

• Production subtitles on all six episodes written by Martin Wiggins.
  • Photo gallery produced by Derek Handley.
  • Scripts of all six episodes as PDFs.