Info The Oldest Surviving Film in the World (1888)

Discussion in 'Film History & Meaning' started by Doctor Omega, Mar 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Enthusiast

[​IMG]

The Roundhay Garden Scene

The Roundhay Garden Scene was recorded at 12 frames per second and runs for 2.11 seconds.

It is the oldest surviving film in existence and the first moving picture ever made using film and a camera, noted by the Guinness Book of Records.

This sequence was filmed by Louis Le Prince in October 1888 using paper base photographic film and his single-lens combi camera-projector.

According to Le Prince's son, Adolphe, it was filmed at the home of Joseph and Sarah Whitley in Leeds, England on October 14, 1888.

Louis Le Prince was an inventor who created the first moving pictures using film and a single-lens camera.

His films were created several years before the work of competing inventors such as Auguste, Louis Lumière and Thomas Edison.

Le Prince was never able to perform a planned public demonstration in the United States because he mysteriously vanished from a train on September 16, 1890.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Genius! Genius! x 1
  2. Hux

Hux Contributor

Worst. Gif. Ever.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Bravo! Bravo! x 1
  3. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Enthusiast

That's certainly another way of looking at it. lol. :emoji_alien:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Enthusiast

To give this footage some morbid historical context....

It was filmed during the Jack the Ripper murders....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/so-who-do-you-think-was-jack-the-ripper.179/

.... a fortnight after the double murder of Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes and less than a month before the murder of Mary Kelly.

Not that I am suggesting that there are clues to be gleaned from this footage in relation to the Whitechapel Murders - although no doubt someone will end up writing a book suggesting that the either the killer - and/or Mary Kelly - is in the clip somewhere! :emoji_alien:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Carol

Carol Very Active Member

IN Leeds, 200 miles away - so I think the term we're striving towards might be "alibi"?

But you're right to draw parallels - the Ripper murders feel like the dark ages, but overlapped the birth of cinema. Like an episode of QI which pointed out that hundred, if not thousands, of people who attended the last public hanging in London commuted there by Tube.

6. Hux

Hux Contributor

If you look at the funny, weird or interesting videos thread, I posted a clip form a TV show from 1956 where a 96 year old man (he has his own wiki page) talks about seeing the Lincoln assassination when he was 5.

• Like Like x 3
  7. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Contributor

I watched that video. Just wild to actually hear a first hand account of the event instead of reading about it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RepairedSpace06

RepairedSpace06 New Member

Wow, that looks better than I would have expected for the first film ever!

• Like Like x 1