Review The Naked Now (1987)

Hux

Member: Rank 6
I find the vast majority of season one hard to watch now. Too 60s, too much like the original series. Didn't really find its feet until season 3.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I agree. I think Rodenberry had been so put out of joint by losing his grip on the movies that he was overcompensating and strangling this new show to death! With the help of Leonard Maizlish, his lawyer, who was rewriting scripts on Gene's behalf!

Hux

A show like DS9 wouldn't have happened under Gene. Too dark, too willing to acknowledge that the future human isn't quite as evolved as earlier claimed.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
It was odd how Gene's vision had shifted. The original show. even under Gene's watch, had corrupt Captains who could become prone to obsession or want revenge. There were episodes like BATTLEFIELD where they were bemused and could not understand prejudice, even though Gene was "Nowhere near that episode" as Frieberger put it in an interview. So as a vision it was variable.

Suddenly, by the 24th century, everybody was perfect - and Gene behaved as if this was how Star Trek always had been.

It also killed any potential for drama. Even though some of the writers liked that challenge to their abilities, apparently.

Reactions: Hux

Hux

Totally agree. Maybe between the original series ending and the production of TNG, Roddenberry had listened to so much praise coming his way for his utopian vision of the future that he actually started believing it himself?

The episode that really annoyed me was "The Neutral Zone" when they discovered those cryogenic pods of 20th century humans and we got a ton of Pickard speeches about how humanity had evolved and only cared about rainbows and kittens now. Sigh.

johnnybear

Jonathan Frakes mentions Kirk here in this episode and does the same in Generations but oddly never gets to meet the great man in the flesh!
JB