Review The Matt Smith Doctor

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Utterly wonderful, magnificent - you can tell everyone involved in creating this are fans to the core themselves.

Even took myself off to see the full 3D version at the pictures (first and last 3D experiment) - after I booked and they'd sold out, the cinema added a second showing. For a London audience to applaud a film is rare enough, but to collectively burst into rapturous conversation with each other was unprecedented.
As everyone was ushered out to make way for the second house, turning the corner to make for the exit, people saw the waiting queue and SHUT UP - walking past spoiler free but I think we were all grinning like happy, bouncy grinning things.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
As everyone was ushered out to make way for the second house, turning the corner to make for the exit, people saw the waiting queue and SHUT UP - walking past spoiler free
Another reason I hate living in America. I don't always get to see movies or TV programs right away, and I constantly run into people who want to sit and spoil everything. This one kid I work with thinks nothing of letting all sorts of details slip, and legitimately doesn't understand why others get upset when he does spoil something.

As for this anniversary special, I love it. It's an absolute fun romp, complete with several Doctors who don't necessarily get along or agree, but are thrown in and forced to work together. The initial fear and loathing of The War Doctor from both 10 and 11 is beautifully done. I really like that they changed the fate of Gallifrey, because I never cared for RTD just up and destroying it. It made for some nice moments of emotion and tension throughout the new series, but I missed the Time Lords in funny hats. And I still tear up when The Curator makes his appearance.

I do agree with the other actors who were upset at their not being included, but I'm glad that Davison made his anniversary movie, because it was genius.

Carol

I still tear up when The Curator makes his appearance
Yes. Oh yes. 100% MY Doctor. (with Mr Tennant at a conservative 99.9)

Your philistine spoiler-prone co-worker: suggest treating like you'd house train a cat - my friend swears by a handy water-pistol to squirt in their ears if they even make a move on peeing in the wrong place. It actually works and she enjoys the target practice, so no actual downside.

chainsaw_metal1

It's not a great story, but it has some very fun moments. And the mom was the snotty sous chef on series one of CHEF! That last bit doesn't have anything to do with the story, but my vast knowledge of obscure Britcoms.

Carol

Utterly fun - but an unfortunate waste of Bill Bailey I thought - he and that crew should return some time with further adventures.
I was giggling, blubbing and cheering the plane through the Vortex, I think it's one of my very favourite Christmas episodes - and nobbling Narnia is always a pleasant side-effect.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I liked him as The Doctor, despite being profoundly unconvinced on first impression watching him during his interview when he was announced.

He proved me wrong.

I do think he walked a tightrope of being childlike and irritatingly silly. It is to his credit that most of the time I feel that he walked it effortlessly.

chainsaw_metal1

I wasn't sold when I first saw him in photos. He didn't fit what I thought The Doctor should be. As soon as he had his first scene with Amelia, I was in. He was so good in that first scene.