Review Supergirl (2015)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
afsdas.jpg

Your thoughts on this show.....

The adventures of Superman's cousin in her own superhero career.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Odette Annable Is The “Supergirl” S3 Villain

odette-annable-is-the-supergirl-s3-villain-696x464.jpg

The first season had Astra, the second Lillian Luthor and Queen Rhea. Now, “Pure Genius,” “House” and “The Unborn” actress Odette Annable has been cast as the main villain of the third season of The CW’s “Supergirl”.

Annable will play Reign, a character first teased in the final moments of the Season 2 finale. In the New 52 comics, Reign is a female ‘worldkiller’ – a bioengineered blood-thirsty, super-powerful being outlawed by the Kryptonian Science Council.

The series intends to partly interpret the infamous World Killer storyline from the pages of the DC Comics for the new season. “Supergirl” will return in the Fall.

Doctor Omega

Boxleitner Replaces Spiner In “Supergirl”

boxleitner-replaces-spiner-in-supergirl-696x464.jpg

Bruce Boxleitner will step in to replace Brent Spiner in the recurring role of Vice President Baker in the upcoming fourth season of The CW’s superhero series “Supergirl” which returns October 14th.

Spiner (“Star Trek: The Next Generation”) had booked the role but scheduling issues have forced him to depart the series in order to attend to a family matter that conflicts with the production dates.

Bruce Boxleitner (“Babylon 5”) will take over as Baker, who is described as “an unlikely leader who steps up in a big way up when his country needs him most”. The new season deals with a growing anti-alien movement in National City.

Other newcomers to the season include Rhona Mitra as Mercy Graves and Robert Baker as her brother, Nicole Maines as TV’s first trans superhero Dreamer, Sam Witwer as anti-alien antagonist Agent Liberty, April Parker-Jones as hardline military chief Col. Haley and David Ajala as Manchester Black.

Doctor Omega

The producers of The CW’s “Supergirl” have confirmed that iconic DC Comics villain Lex Luthor will appear in the current fourth season of the series. Casting will begin shortly on the role ahead of the character’s appearance later this year.
Lex has been a presence, in name and influence, since the series premiere though to date we’ve only met two Luthors – his mother Lillian and half-sister Lena. Aidan Fink played a child version of the character in an episode, while most of the references to date indicate the public is aware of Lex’s crimes and he’s currently serving 32 consecutive life sentences.
Gene Hackman, John Shea, Michael Rosenbaum, Clancy Brown, Kevin Spacey and Jesse Eisenberg have all played the role in the past on the big and small screens. The appearance is likely to be after the upcoming ‘Elseworlds’ crossover event which sees the return of Tyler Hoechlin as Superman to the show.

Doctor Omega

First Look: Jon Cryer Is Lex Luthor In “Supergirl”

https://twitter.com/TheCWSupergirl/status/1088153192268005376/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1088153192268005376&ref_url=http://www.darkhorizons.com/first-look-jon-cryer-is-lex-luthor-in-supergirl/

The CW has released the first official look at Emmy winner Jon Cryer as Lex Luthor in the currently airing fourth season of “Supergirl”.

Superman’s mortal enemy is scheduled to arrive at National City in this season’s fifteenth episode which should air sometime in March. The series returned from a mid-season hiatus on January 20th.

first-look-jon-cryer-is-lex-luthor-in-supergirl-696x464.jpg

Though he played the nephew of Lex Luthor (Gene Hackman) in the fourth “Superman” film, Cryer’s casting remains a bit of an unexpected one as the actor is around seventeen years older than his on-screen sister Lena (Katie McGrath) and only five years younger than his onscreen mother Dr. Lillian Luthor (Brenda Strong).

Doctor Omega

Cryer: “Supergirl” Atones For “Superman IV”

cryer-supergirl-atones-for-superman-iv-696x464.jpg

The casting of Jon Cryer as Lex Luthor in The CW’s “Supergirl” raised some eyebrows. It’s an odd choice within the context of the show’s narrative given the actor’s age, but in the context of the franchise itself it’s an enjoyable in-joke.

Cryer famously played Lenny Luthor, the snivelling nephew of Lex Luthor (Gene Hackman) in the widely disparaged 80s film “Superman IV: A Quest For Peace” which almost killed the superhero genre. “Supergirl” in the past has had no issues acknowledging old DC adaptations with actors like Dean Cain, Teri Hatcher, Helen Slater and Lynda Carter all popping up.

So how in on the fun is Cryer? Turns out it’s one of the central reasons he’s taking on the role. He tells The Live Feed:

“Part of the reason I did Superman IV was because [Superman] changed my life. I was like 14-years-old and [Superman’s] tagline was, ‘You will believe a man can fly,’ and boy, I bought it! I totally bought it. Superman IV had really high hopes, but unfortunately, it was very disappointing for people and that had always sort of hurt me in a very 14-year-old boy way. And so I thought, you know, this is my chance to do it right.

I had a certain amount of familiarity [with the show]. I was very excited about working with Katie McGrath and I love the whole story that they’ve set up for this season. Yeah, I felt like Lenny [was] a branch on the family tree that fell off pretty early and was rotting on the ground basically for a long while…So I feel like this was my chance to sort of reclaim it and do it a little more justice, or injustice, as it were.”

Cryer will appear in three episodes this season – he’ll make his debut in the role on this Sunday’s episode. Next Sunday’s will be a long flashback episode showing what he’s been up to in the last few years, and then he’ll appear again in the season finale.