Review Straw Dogs (1971)

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Funny, we were just discussing rape on the Marnie thread. Here we go again.

I don't think I've even seen this but it's one of those films that's so notorious, it feels like I have. I think the debate about Susan George showing signs of enjoyment during the rape scene is less controversial than many others seem to think. The Oscar nominated Elle (starring Isabelle Huppert) apparently explores a similar theme.

Visceral stuff like this tends to split opinion.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Funny, we were just discussing rape on the Marnie thread. Here we go again.
Hello again, Hux - and yes - but hugely different - if you'd seen it you'd know, honest - so there's a quest for you. And I was just commenting on Marathon Man, so Dustin Hoffman in a predicament is also a running theme.
I'd put this with the likes of Clockwork Orange - a stunning film because (rather than despite) of its ability to deal with sexual violence but also to transcend the obvious ghastliness of the outrage, and look at consequences. And with Wicker Man - broad strokes of community / mob values overbearing an individual's autonomy. Not sure if this makes sense yet - work in progress because you two (Hux, Doc) have given me a lot to think through here. Help me out?