Review Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Hux

Member: Rank 6
It will be difficult to watch Fisher in this. Might potentially take me out of the movie but we'll see (Had similar issues with Yelchin and Star Trek Beyond).

Looking forward to seeing what they do.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
There are a;so now rumours of reshoots and of a modifying of Carrie Fisher's scenes. either to emphasise or trim the character's presence in the film. One or the other....

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...isher-death-Lucasfilm-Episode-VIII-Episode-IX

Episode VIII wrapped filming last summer and director Rian Johnson has been hard at work in his editing suite.

The Last Jedi is about to go through reshoots in March and is looking for extras aged between 16 and a half to 90.
Filming will take place in Eidenberg, Scotland and in unspecified parts of Ireland.
It is normal for the latest Star Wars films to go through some reshoots, but Star Wars expert Mike Zeroh reckons this time they will be major because of Fisher’s death.

Last edited:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I would like to see this film, if only because it is Carrie Fisher's last performance.

Of course, I'd better see the last one that was made first.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
The further I get from Force Awakens, the less impressed I am.

It's almost as if they said.... "hey, let's make the main movies kiddie nonsense that just mimics the original films and will sell tons of toys and then we'll have these other Star Wars films (like Rogue One) where we actually tell interesting, worthwhile stories."

And I hate that they take themselves SO seriously; like it's the actual story of Jesus or something.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I am the exact opposite. I love this new trailer. It gets me just as excited as I was when I was seven and saw the first trailers for Return of the Jedi. I still enjoy The Force Awakens, and my wife bought me Rogue One yesterday, so I can see if I still enjoy that one as much as I did in the theatre.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I am the exact opposite. I love this new trailer. It gets me just as excited as I was when I was seven and saw the first trailers for Return of the Jedi. I still enjoy The Force Awakens, and my wife bought me Rogue One yesterday, so I can see if I still enjoy that one as much as I did in the theatre.
I haven't seen anything new in this particular franchise since STAR WARS EPISODE III: REVENGE OF THE SITH.

Of course, for me, the real question that needs to be answered is when will the STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL finally receive the adoration and attention it so richly deserves from all fans and casual viewers of the franchise? It is an unsung and underappreciated masterpiece that has been shunned for far too long in my opinion. It is time for it to receive a proper DVD release and for it to proudly take its place amongst the other films of the franchise. It is time for it to be recognized for what it really is - the true and proper sequel to STAR WARS EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE.

Now please excuse me, but I think I just wet myself laughing...

Doctor Omega

Quotes Reveal More About “The Last Jedi”

While the panel and trailer launch for Rian Johnson’s “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” dominated much of the talk on Friday and yesterday, those involved on the panel have subsequently given interviews to a number of outlets with some key quotes and information emerging from the interviews.

First up, the title. A big deal was made by fans about the movie’s title being translated in select countries in a way that ‘Jedi’ meant several of them as opposed to just one person.

Johnson tells ABC News that despite those translations and the fan theories, the title is talking about one person: “It’s so funny when people started asking that when the title was announced because I never even pondered that question… In my mind it’s singular. They say in The Force Awakens that he’s gone on to find the last Jedi temple. Luke is the last Jedi.”

Johnson confirms Rey’s parentage will “absolutely be addressed” in the film, but whether it will all be is unclear. One thing that actress Daisy Ridley seems to suggest is that Mark Hamill’s Luke Skywalker is NOT her father. She tells ErikDavis that at the start of ‘Last Jedi’: “obviously he [Luke] doesn’t know who she [Rey] is when she turns up with this frickin lightsaber he hasn’t seen in however long.”

Will the Skywalker saga continue after Episode IX? Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy tells Fandango: “I certainly foresee movies past nine. Whether or not we carry on the Skywalker saga… you know, George always intended nine movies, and whether we continue that or not is something we’re talking about right now. If the story warrants it, we’ll absolutely do it. If it actually inspires new ideas, then we’ll probably head in that direction. We just don’t know yet.”

Also speaking with that outlet, Ridley said she’s spoken with a few people who’ve seen a rough cut of “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” and: “everyone’s like, ‘It’s different. It’s different.’ So I think with Rian’s vision and his image, and also I think he had J.J., who you know brought all the old fans back and the new fans in and he had all this stuff. Rian, I think, had more room to kind of do his thing.”

A new comic book miniseries focusing entirely on Captain Phasma has been announced by Marvel at StarWars.com. The four-issue series will explain how Captain Phasma escaped from the trash compactor and survived the destruction of Starkiller Base. It will hit in September.

Finally, Billy Dee Williams says his Lando Calrissian character will NOT be in “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” which opens in cinemas this December.

Doctor Omega

Fan-Made 'Last Jedi' 8-Bit Trailer Gets Rian Johnson's Stamp of Approval

A fan-made trailer for The Last Jedi made to look like an 8-bit video game will have fans longing for their old Super Nintendo.

The shot-for-shot preview, posted on YouTube by JoBlo Videos, has everything that makes classic video games so cherished: pixelated graphics, dialogue boxes, synthesized music and, of course, the hokey character screams.

This particular fan trailer was so enjoyable, it even got the attention of Last Jedi director Rian Johnson just hours after it had been posted.

"Oh my god that is awesome. Well done!" Johnson tweeted. "Here's something pleasant! Makes me want to replay Monkey Island."

The actual Last Jedi trailer was released mid-April and currently has more than 33.5 million views.

croft_alice

Member: Rank 4
I just saw the second teaser for the last jedi and ( sorry for the fans ) it has nothing original. They took scenes from the old movies and the animated tv.series and remake them.

Doctor Omega

“Last Jedi” To Offer “Biggest Reveal Ever”?

NEptz1I5tSYUtr_1_b.jpg

A recently released Japanese leaflet promoting the upcoming “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” has made a bold claim – that the Rian Johnson-directed feature will contain the biggest reveal of the “Star Wars” saga to date. A revelation that will change everything.

Star Wars News Net has posted an English translation of the pamphlet which you can see below:

“The Most Shocking Truth In Star Wars History Will Soon Be Revealed!

A new generation’s tale of the struggles of light and dark, virtue and evil has begun with the death of Han Solo.

In a Galaxy where First Order and the Resistance are fighting against each other in a war, the heroine, Rey, had the Force awaken within her.

What will happen to the galaxy when Rey and the only remaining Jedi knight, Luke Skywalker, meet?

Kylo Ren has fallen to the Dark Side of the Force and killed his father, Han Solo. As a successor of his grandfather, Darth Vader, and a high-ranking enforcer in the First Order, where will his ambition lead him to?

Furthermore, Kylo Ren’s mother, the leader of the Resistance, Leia [along with] Poe; Finn, and BB-8, will embark on a new mission!

The story has finally begun and it will lead to a mysterious climax! December 15. Be ready for the shocking truth surpassing the previous stories!

As the film is expected to take thematic cues from “The Empire Strikes Back,” a reveal along “I am your father” lines is expected – but it’s going to be tough to top that.

From Rey’s parentage to Snoke’s identity, some of the more obvious potential reveals have already long been speculated about that any reveal will probably have been spoiled long before it hits cinemas.

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” opens this December.

Doctor Omega

Mark Hamill Doesn’t Like How Luke Was Written in ‘The Last Jedi’

_thumb_e7ab6022-382d-4577-a6be-8e66a76a5eee.jpg

The Last Jedi is going to give us our first real exploration into Luke Skywalker after the events of Return of the Jedi. We know very little about his state of mind during The Force Awakens and how he’ll react to everything that has happened in his absence. It promises to be a compelling part of the Star Wars story. But, it sounds like Mark Hamill might not be on board for what’s about to happen.

During the Vanity Fair issue, Hamill spoke about his reaction to Luke’s character in The Last Jedi:

…after reading Rian Johnson’s script for The Last Jedi, Hamill said, “I at one point had to say to Rian, ‘I pretty much fundamentally disagree with every choice you’ve made for this character. Now, having said that, I have gotten it off my chest, and my job now is to take what you’ve created and do my best to realize your vision.’”

WOW. That’s pretty heavy criticism. Hamill obviously has a strong attachment to the character. Could his reservations about the script reflect some big changes for Luke in The Last Jedi?

It’s possible that Hamill disagreed with decisions Luke is going to make in the film. Could it be some kind of betrayal? Does Luke end up becoming something of a villain by the film’s end? Or does Hamill’s comments have more to do with how Luke is treated in the film? Is it possible he won’t be much more than a Yoda figure? Maybe he is asked to help the Resistance and refuses? Is Hamill upset that Luke is not quite the hero he remembers him as?

This definitely raises a lot of questions about Luke’s role in The Last Jedi. We know he’ll be spending a lot of the movie training Rey, but what else might happen? Could this even hint at Luke’s potential death?!?

This adds a whole new layer of intrigue to The Last Jedi. December 15 can’t get here soon enough.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I love the way that the Disney Studio lady interrupts Mark talking onstage at 3:40

Studio Lady:
"I'm just gonna break in here - and make sure that everybody out there realises: He is so significantly important to this next film!"

Mark Hamill: "Oh! Well that's good to hear!"

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Post-VF “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” Updates

post-vf-star-wars-the-last-jedi-updates-696x464.jpg

In the wake of the Vanity Fair pictorial earlier this week and the recent licensing expo, several more minor details about Rian Johnson’s upcoming “Star Wars: The Last Jedi”.

Johnson confirms to Reddit that the character of Supreme Leader Snoke isn’t explored much in the film, while photos a Making Star Wars, of tie-in merchandise suggest Snoke will be seen in gold robes and will have human flesh tones as opposed to pale white skin. Johnson has also confirmed that he had J.J. Abrams switch BB-8 for R2-D2 in the final scenes of ‘Force Awakens’ for storytelling purposes in ‘Last Jedi’.

Mark Hamill has revealed that he and Johnson adamantly disagreed on some of the choices by the director: “I at one point had to say to Rian, ‘I pretty much fundamentally disagree with every choice you’ve made for this character.’ Now, having said that, I have gotten it off my chest, and my job now is to take what you’ve created and do my best to realize your vision.”

Oscar Isaac has revealed that his character Poe Dameron has several scenes with Carrie Fisher’s Princess Leia including one where she slaps him – an action that required 27 takes to get right. Finally, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy adds that the third anthology ‘A Star Wars Story’ movie will be determined sometime next month ahead of its 2020 release.

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” opens in December.