Review Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
First Trek film I saw in the theatre. My buddy and I sat in the very front row, both of us all of about six years old, and both mesmerized by the film. And, of course, both of us in tears when
Spock died
. Best of the original crew films. Some nicely done homages to Balance of Terror (one of the Top Five TOS episodes), and bringing back one of the best villains of TOS.

chainsaw_metal1

Well, I posted it in a board dedicated to the movie, which one would assume everyone everyone who is going to post in has seen. And, as you say, it's 35 years past. It's a plot point that not only has been talked about in media since its release, but made the third movie possible.

However, as I have learned from living in America, someone could read it and get upset that I "spoiled it" for them. This is the world I live in, mate.

Elliot Thomas

Member: Rank 3
The effects-laden, cerebral nature of the original is replaced with a more straightforward revenge plot. Nimoy is in great form with Montal-ban a fine villain- but I felt a sense of anti-climax at the end.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Can someone explain why Kirk is so angry when he shouts Khan!!

His plan worked perfectly yet he acts like Khan has outsmarted him.

Just a brilliant act?

Gavin

VIP
The only negative thing to say about this movie is that it's success made Paramount think they had to include a "bad guy" as the motivating factor for each movie since (with The Voyage Home being the sole exception). I don't mind having a villain but anyone who's seen the series knows there are a massive number of other possibilities that could be just as interesting to see.

Doctor Omega

Meyer Planning “Wrath of Khan” Prequel?

meyer-planning-wrath-of-khan-prequel-696x464.jpg

“Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan” writer/director Nicholas Meyer is rumored to be moving forward on a limited series that would focus on the life of that film’s villain Khan Noonien Singh, played by the late Ricardo Montalbahn reprising his role from the original 1960s series.

Geek Exchange (via Bleeding Cool) broke the report, citing multiple sources. They indicate events in the series would take place between the original series episode “Space Seed” and the legendary film, a time when Khan and the crew of the Botany Bay (survivors from the Eugenics wars) were exiled to Ceti Alpha V to start a colony.

Meyer, who also directed “Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country,” is involved in the upcoming “Star Trek: Discovery” series and indications are CBS is potentially looking into other projects set within the rich history of Trek mythology.

Gavin

VIP
It already has a prequel.

It's called SPACE SEED.
Exactly. What they're talking about is more of an "interquel". The story of a mad man and his followers imprisoned on a world and waiting to be accidentally rediscovered so they can escape and kill more people. I'm picturing lots of scenes of them sitting around looking out at the inhospitable landscape and eating survival rations.

chainsaw_metal1

The story of a mad man and his followers imprisoned on a world and waiting to be accidentally rediscovered so they can escape and kill more people. I'm picturing lots of scenes of them sitting around looking out at the inhospitable landscape and eating survival rations.
Sounds like a bunch of NRA nutjobs sitting around watching Duck Dynasty and pissing themselves worrying about when the "guv'mint's gonna come steal our guns". If I want to see that, I'll move down south.

Doctor Omega

This has already been done anyway...... at least in book form.....

c221bee71cb0bfbe27d63fd9ff609275.jpg

To Reign In Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh, is the final book in a trilogy of novels written by Greg Cox chronicling the life of the fictional Star Trek character Khan Noonien Singh. This final book deals with the life of Khan after he was marooned on Ceti Alpha Vby Captain James T. Kirk.

The book takes place between the original series episode "Space Seed" and the motion picture Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, and contains numerous retcon references that seek to resolve discrepancies between the episode and the film.

Plot summary

The book begins with Khan, Lt. Marla McGivers, and most of the other supermen and women that had been with him on the SS Botany Bay arriving on the planet Ceti Alpha V. Khan is given supplies and a phaser and begins to build a colony on the planet. Khan is challenged several times by his fellow supermen, but remains in control for the most part.

Six months after the supermen arrive, the next planet in the Ceti Alpha system, Ceti Alpha VI, explodes and disrupts the orbit of Ceti Alpha V. This causes major climate changes and loss of plant and animal life. Khan and the supermen take refuge underground and Khan waits for Kirk to arrive and rescue him and his followers from the hell that the planet has become.

After more time passes, several supermen do not wish to follow Khan any longer and try to assassinate Khan by placing a Ceti Eel in Marla McGivers's ear. This bizarre creature causes her to do whatever is commanded of her, and the men order her to kill Khan. Marla's love for Khan allows her to resist enough to instead kill herself. The eel emerges from her ear after her death and Khan sees the reason why she died.

After the failed assassination, the rebels leave the underground and form a new faction on the planet, taking control of the vital hot springs that provide the only water on the planet. Khan then battles them, losing many of his followers, but winning in the end.

At the end of the novel a few years later, Khan sees two men in space suits materialize on the planet's surface.

Throughout the novel, Khan blames his hardships on James Kirk for stranding him on the planet and never checking on him again.

Secondary plot

The book also has a frame story with James T. Kirk, Hikaru Sulu, Spock, and Leonard McCoy going to Ceti Alpha V after the events of the second, third, and fourth Star Trek movies had already taken place. Kirk is filled with guilt and wishes to find out more about Khan's life on the planet. He leads a landing party to the bunker that is shown in the second movie. In their search, they accidentally stumble upon a sarcophagus for Marla that was built by Khan with Marla's mummified remains within. In another sarcophagus, likely meant for Khan, Spock finds data tapes and records and Khan's personal journal. This is when the book moves into Khan's story.

At certain points along the way and after Khan's story is complete, the book continues with Kirk's story. He and the rest of the party explore the underground tunnels that are beneath the bunker to learn even more about Khan's life. Before they leave, the landing party is accosted by Ericsson's daughter and a few other surviving superhumans from the second faction who were exiled from the colony, but had taken over the bunker in Khan's absence. They demand to know Khan's whereabouts, not knowing that he had left the planet and subsequently died. The young Ericsson also destroys Marla's remains with a phaser she took from the landing party. She then wants to kill Kirk, "the Abandoner", for everything that he did. Kirk manages to convince the young Ericsson that Khan was indeed dead and their fight was over. Kirk offers to take all of the supermen and women to Sycorax, a planet populated by genetically altered humans that was mentioned in the frame story of the first two novels in this trilogy. The superhumans agree to go with Kirk and say that Kirk may not be "the Abandoner" after all. Then Kirk instructs Sulu to go back to the Mutara Sector, and he then beamed Marla's ashes into the debris field created when the Genesis Planet exploded, so that she and Khan could at least be together. Kirk also hopes that as husband and wife were reunited that somewhere, somehow, Marla McGivers and Khan Singh have both finally found peace.

Doctor Omega

I am surprised at Nicholas Meyer going down this route.

I thought he was bolder than this.

I would rather he gave us a glimpse of the 25th Century, rather than this plundering of warmed up leftovers of the past.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
For some reason, people hear the words STAR TREK and immediately think of Kirk, Spock and company. Whilst this was once the case, it was long ago expanded to include much, much more.

"Expand or die." It's an old saying, but it applies perfectly to the STAR TREK franchise. I have nothing against bringing back an old favourite every so often, if a suitable story can be created to accomplish this, but don't forget to look to the future.

After all, isn't it all meant to be about going where no one has gone before? And while I have nothing against a prequel film or TV series, unless it can add something to the franchise - without fucking up established continuity and lore - why bother?

Doctor Omega

news-shorts-august-2nd-2017-696x464.jpg

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
For its 35th Anniversary, Fathom Events and Paramount Pictures is bringing “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan” on Sunday, September 10th and Wednesday, September 13th at 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. local time each day.

Moviegoers throughout the U.S. will be able to enjoy this event, which will screen the digitally remastered Director’s Cut, in more than 600 select movie theaters. [Source: Fathom Events]