How Authentic a Trek Show is This?

• This feels like the real deal!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Have these guys even watched the original series?

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • I'm still on the fence

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Thoughts on this possible new development?

Published on Jan 22, 2017
This just in. We may know what the music for Star Trek: Discovery‘s opening credits sounds like. And we’re liking what we hear.
While it still remains unconfirmed that the composition is indeed the introduction music, or that it will be used for Star Trek Discovery at all, we do know that the music is being produced for CBS and is directly related to Star Trek in some form. What form that is remains to be seen. Since it’s unlikely that CBS has any other Star Trek productions in the works, there’s a good chance this is the shows theme.One of the things that every Star Trek fan looks forward to in a new Trek series is the introduction music to the show. Each series has its own unique feel and so do their musical scores, with significant thought being put into what that music should convey. The upbeat and optimistic sounds of TNG – the USS Enterprise out on an adventure, making discoveries. The somber sounds of DS9, a station on the galactic outskirts, far from home. The journeying sounds of Voyager – a starship lost on the other side of the galaxy with a mission to get home. The more mainstream rock sounds of Enterprise – a series set in a more familiar not-too-distant-future.
Twitter user @CharlesHenriAvelange posted a 35 second musical composition clip that is believed to be in contention for Star Trek Discovery‘s them songThe musical theme has uplifting tones, not all unlike those found in other Star Trek musical themes. It also sounds strikingly aligned with the theme from the movie Galaxy Quest, which poked fun at the original Star Trek series and fandom culture. Wonder, excitement and discovery are found in these notes, so we definitely believe it’s a possible contender for the new series.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Basically, what are your first impressions of Star Trek Discovery as it continues to take shape...

Are you excited? Pleased? Fearful? Annoyed?

And do you think this one is gonna be a hit?

Or the Vulcan Death Grip for the franchise?

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I don't know.

I just don't know.

I think that this is either gonna be a massive hit or a massive flop.

I don't think that there will be a "mehhh" midway reaction to it where it fizzles and dies. No, I think that it will either be immediately loved and embraced or rejected and scorned.

That's just an instinctive reaction to it on my part.

Doctor Omega

Well, at least it is trying to be a bit different...

The series will defy established Star Trek conventions in being told through the eyes of a Starfleet officer rather than a captain.

That officer - the Discovery's lieutenant commander Rainsford - will be played by Sonequa Martin-Green, a familiar face to genre fans for her time on The Walking Dead and Once Upon a Time.

Throughout the Discovery's voyage, the crew will also cross paths with a Klingon war fleet, at least one brand new alien species and even the father of Original Series character Spock. Beam us up!

Doctor Omega

https://www.trektoday.com/content/2017/02/meyer-star-trek-discovery-is-self-examination/

Star Trek director/writer Nick Meyer spoke recently about his hopes for Star Trek: Discovery.

Meyer was “enormously flattered to be invited back,” he said, to the Trek world, “as a sort of an eminence grise [decision maker behind the scenes], which is sort of what I am, or have become, even though I don’t feel very grise and then I look at the color of my hair and I go, ‘you’ve turned quite grise.’ So the eminence was maybe a fantasy, but here I am.”

Obviously, Meyer hopes that the series is a success, saying “That’s my first hope.”

He also wants the series to “[perpetuate] the Star Trek condition of helping people see themselves, making us able to contemplate dilemmas that otherwise we might be too close to judge without prejudice,” as was the case with previous Trek, such as the original series.

“I thought that was the series’ strength,” he said, “by taking hot button issues, renaming them and setting them someplace else, that we could think about ourselves and how we want to be. I hope the new series contributes to that tradition, that would be a good thing.”

Not a fan of the series or of sci-fi itself, Meyer can only relate to Star Trek by “understand[ing] the earthbound human aspects of the stories that I can create or relate to them. I used to read these stories by C.S. Forrester,” he explained, “…about Captain Hornblower. I thought, ‘Star Trek is Captain Hornblower, and I can do this,’ just change the name to some alien species.”
I am glad that a guy as intelligent and talented as Meyer is helping out at the helm.

Hopefully his positive influence will be felt in the final product....

Hux

Member: Rank 6
Not many shows begin with a guaranteed built-in audience so it has that advantage but as we saw with Enterprise, that can also result in complacency on the part of the writers. My belief (and hope) is that they've looked at that (plus all the other strengths and weaknesses of the other shows) and are in a position to really separate the wheat from the chaff and produce something sleek and concise.

This show looks like it might diverge from the others in a way we've never seen before which may alienate some fans but equally might be the very thing that draws in a new audience.

I'm optimistic.

Doctor Omega

jason-isaacs-star-trek-discovery.jpg

Jason Isaacs will star as "Captain Lorca," Captain of the Starship Discovery. Isaacs' current and upcoming credits include "The OA" on Netflix and Weinstein Company's "Hotel Mumbai."

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Mary Wiseman will star as "Tilly," a Starfleet Academy Cadet in her final year of study, assigned to the Starship Discovery. Wiseman, a recent graduate of Juilliard, can also be seen in "Baskets" on FX.

Hux

Now I'm getting confused. I thought Michelle Yeoh was the captain and that she was going to be a background character (like they originally planned for Bartlett to be in the West Wing). That the show would be from the point of view of the second in command (Martin-Green's character) and the captain would be a slightly obscure figure.

Anyway... a good actor.

Doctor Omega

Apparently he will still be more in the background, while the story will indeed be told from the p.o.v. of the second in command.

Yes, he is a fine choice.

duzit

Hi @Doctor Omega ,
OA is on my Netflix to watch list. How interesting that soooooo many actors are involved with Netflix productions. Wish I had been smart enough to have bought Netflix stock when I first became a Netflix customer in their infancy.