Review Spock's Brain (1968)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
000.jpg

SpocksBrain.jpg

Your thoughts on this story....

The crew of the Enterprise pursues a mysterious woman who has abducted Spock's brain.

On to the next story.....

IS THERE NO TRUTH IN BEAUTY?....

(Coming soon)

Back to the previous story....

AND THE CHILDREN SHALL LEAD....

(Coming soon)

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I thought we agreed we'd never speak of this again. It was a one time thing. We had had a little too much to drink, one thing led to another, and a Vulcan's brain was taken. It will never happen again.

Unless this is J.J. Abrams' plot for STAR TREK: WE'RE OUT OF IDEAS.

Doctor Omega

I have a horrible feeling that it still may have more depth than any of the Abrams stuff!

And at least Shatner didn't ride a motorbike into the lair of the Givers of Pain and Delight although Harlan Ellison says that Shatner rode a motorbike to his house once just so he could count how many more lines Leonard Nimoy had than him in the City script. :emoji_alien:

And at least Jimmy Doohan proved that "fainting" acting was beyond his capabilities in this episode.

chainsaw_metal1

Harlan Ellison says that Shatner rode a motorbike to his house once just so he could count how many more lines Leonard Nimoy had than him in the City script.
It's stories like that that make me hate Shatner just a little bit. I was recently watching the episode of SHATNER'S RAW NERVE when he had Walter Koenig on, and Keonig told him flat out what the cast's issues were with him. He obviously held no ill will himself after all of these years, but he didn't pull all of his punches. Shat, of course, tried being diplomatic, and explaining how he had so much going on in his life at that point, and how he really wasn't the tyrant that everyone made him out to be, but you know he's just trying to downplay his ego.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Could we please change the subject, gentlemen?

This was an embarrassing and painful incident for me and I don't wish to dwell upon it.

Having it dragged up yet again after all these years is a decidedly unpleasant experience.

chainsaw_metal1

We all have to face what happened to us. We were all...hurt by this. We need to speak up about the abuse, so that others can learn not to be taken in by those they trust and be scarred in such a way. Sit in the circle and tell the group what happened to you when you watched it.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
We all have to face what happened to us. We were all...hurt by this. We need to speak up about the abuse, so that others can learn not to be taken in by those they trust and be scarred in such a way. Sit in the circle and tell the group what happened to you when you watched it.
I'm sorry, I can't. It's simply too painful an experience to relive.

Please excuse me. I think I'm going to cry.

At times like this, I wish I was a Klingon.

They have no tear ducts.

Doctor Omega

Spock, I know that this is difficult.

But why the heck didn't Scotty just use the transporter to transfer your brain exactly back to where it was.

Then we could have avoided all that McCoy teacher nonsense.

And just why the heck weren''t there any scars and stitches on your cranium too?

That has always bothered me.

alpha128

Member: Rank 3
Your thoughts and views on this notorious episode, long held up as the worst episode of the original series....
My thoughts are, Brain and Brain! What is Brain?

Seriously...

Apparently former Trek producer Gene L. Coon, writing under a pseudonym, intended this to be another comedy episode like "The Trouble with Tribbles". But new producer Fred Freiberger didn't understand this and the episode just came across as absurd.

Still, I find it entertaining and there are plenty of worse episodes IMO.

Doctor Omega

The Wonder Years Parody of Star Trek: TOS: Spock's Brain

Kevin dreams that he and his friends are in the Star Trek episode they saw on TV the other day, which happens to have been "Spock's Brain". Kevin (played by Fred Savage) assumes the role of Kirk. His best friend Paul (played by Josh Saviano) in in the role of Spock. Two other friends take on the roles of McCoy and Scotty. While Winnie Cooper (played by Danica McKeller) and a couple of other girls play Kara and the other women in "Spock's Brain".

Doctor Omega

Reception and influence

The episode is generally regarded by most fans, and those who took part in its production, as the worst episode of the series.[1] William Shatner called this one of the series' worst episodes, calling the episode's plot a "tribute" to NBC executives who slashed the show's budget and placed it in a bad time slot.

Leonard Nimoy wrote: "Frankly during the entire shooting of that episode, I was embarrassed - a feeling that overcame me many times during the final season of Star Trek."

Zack Handlen of The A.V. Club gave the episode a "D" rating, describing the writing as bad and repetitive and the direction as weak. He added that it had its funny moments and some parts had "a lumpy B-movie charm".[5] Despite the episode's negative reputation, it was included in iTunes' "Best Of Star Trek" compilation.[citation needed]

In his book What Were They Thinking? The 100 Dumbest Events in Television History, author David Hofstede ranked the episode at #71 on the list.

A device similar to that used to remotely operate Spock's brainless body is used in the episode The Magnificent Ferengi of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

The hand prop used to represent that remote control device was held by Spock himself in the later episode That Which Survives, although the Spock character uses it as though it has the function of a data entry terminal rather than a remote control.

The rock band Phish performs a song entitled "Spock's Brain".

A stage production of the episode, adapted and directed by Mike Carano, was produced in 2004 for a limited run in Irvine, California at the Irvine Improv. The play used the original script for the episode.

The episode was referenced in Modern Principles: Microeconomics by Tyler Cowen and Alex Tabarrok of George Mason University as an example of how it is virtually impossible to have a command economy; in that not even Spock's brain could run an economy.[9]

Production

The episode was written by former Star Trek producer Gene L. Coon under the pen name "Lee Cronin".

Star Trek co-producer Robert H. Justman ruefully recalled in the book Inside Star Trek The Real Story, that he was the person who suggested that Spock's brain, after being rescued by the Enterprise crew, actually "takes over during surgery and instructs Dr. McCoy exactly how to go back reinserting it back where it came from - inside Spock's skull".