Review Spiderman 3 (2007)

Discussion in 'Marvel Cinematic Universe' started by Doctor Omega, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Doctor Omega

Doctor Omega Contributor

[​IMG]

Spider-Man 3
    is a 2007 American superhero film produced by Marvel Studios, and distributed by Columbia Pictures based on the fictional Marvel Comics character Spider-Man. It was directed by Sam Raimi and scripted by Sam Raimi, Ivan Raimi and Alvin Sargent. It is the final film in Raimi's Spider-Man film trilogy and the sequel to Spider-Man (2002) and Spider-Man 2 (2004). The film stars Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco, Thomas Haden Church, Topher Grace, Bryce Dallas Howard, Rosemary Harris, J. K. Simmons, James Cromwell and Cliff Robertson in his final acting appearance before his death in 2011.

Set one year after the events of Spider-Man 2, Peter Parker has become a cultural phenomenon as Spider-Man, while Mary Jane Watson continues her Broadway career. Harry Osborn still seeks vengeance for his father's death, and an escaped Flint Marko falls into a particle accelerator and is transformed into a shape-shifting sand manipulator. An extraterrestrial symbiote crashes to Earth and bonds with Peter, influencing his behavior for the worse.

Development of Spider-Man 3 began immediately after the release of Spider-Man 2 for a 2007 release. During pre-production, Raimi originally wanted another villain to be included along with Sandman, but at the request of producer Avi Arad, the director added Venom and the producers also requested the addition of Gwen Stacy. Principal photography for the film began in January 2006, and took place in Los Angeles and Cleveland, before moving to New York City from May until July 2006. Additional pick-up shots were made after August and the film wrapped in October 2006. During post-production, Sony Pictures Imageworks created 900 visual effects shots.

Spider-Man 3 premiered on April 16, 2007 in Tokyo, and was released in the United States in both conventional and IMAX theaters on May 4, 2007. The film grossed $890.9 million worldwide, making it the most successful film of the trilogy financially and the second film in the franchise that was released on IMAX. A fourth film titled Spider-Man 4 was set to be released on May 6, 2011, but was canceled in favor of a reboot, The Amazing Spider-Man, released in 2012.

#1 Doctor Omega, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  2. Hux

Hux Member: Rank 6

Bit of a mess, this one.

Too much going on, not much story and they even stole the Superman III evil Superman bit.

The whole thing felt incoherent.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chainsaw_metal1

chainsaw_metal1 Member: Rank 6

I've had friends try to justify this movie, and I hate it. Raimi even went on record as saying he wanted to develop the Venom storyline the way it was in the comics, and the studio pushed for it to sell tickets. This is another reason I hate movie studios. They can't keep their hands off, even when they are proven wrong.

Also, adding in Sandman's storyline and the wrap up of Harry's story brought the film down and made it a garbled mess. If they had just spent two movies with the black suit, developing Eddie's hatred of Peter, and then giving Venom an actual role, they could have kept the franchise going. But no, they gave us crap.

• Like Like x 1
  4. filmfan95

filmfan95 Member: Rank 3

It's really not as bad as a lot of people have made it out to be. I was a huge Spider-Man fan as a kid, and when I saw this movie for the first time, I thought it was great. Sure, it doesn't hold up as well as the first two, but it's still an enjoyable film with a great message about not letting your anger take over you. If there's one thing I would change about the movie, it would be the whole subplot about Sandman being Uncle Ben's killer (it ruins the whole point of why Peter became who he was in the first place. The point was that the burglar that he refused to stop killed his uncle, making it partially his fault. If you change that, then the message is lost. Maybe if the filmmakers had intended for Flint Marko to be the killer from the start of the series, and had Marko be the guy that Peter didn't stop, then I could have accepted it. But that wasn't what happened, and as such I just couldn't appreciate it). It's still the weakest of the trilogy, but I enjoy it nonetheless.

5. Elliot Thomas

Elliot Thomas Member: Rank 3

Satisfactory enough, it's most interesting when looking at Spidey’s dual personality. His stint on the dark side is the highlight of an otherwise cluttered film which has far too many characters and subplots. The special effects are top-notch as are the overall production values.

• Like Like x 1