Review Return to the Planet of the Apes Cartoon (1975)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
I really like it, mainly because, continuity wise, it just don't give a damn!

We have Brent and Nova in it. Alive and well.

The Apes have lots of modern things that the movies didn't, trucks etc.

Just crazy.

But fun!

Definitely worth a watch. :emoji_alien:

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Yeah wonder why it was Brent instead of Taylor in the cartoons? I remember this from the seventies and I've got the cartoon series on DVD although I've not unsealed it since I bought it in 2006! I recall the monster bird and the giant gorilla fighting near the end of the series and wonder why the show had such an open end as such! Were there plans for another series or whatever? "It is USA!" "She has come to us!"
JB

johnnybear

I remember seeing these in book shops of the seventies but I never bought any of them and back then I never realised they were adaptations from the cartoon series!
JB

Doctor Omega

Yes, looking at the covers, I could easily mistake them for adaptions of the tv series or all new novels based on the live action series. They certainly don't scream out as adaptions of an animated series.

johnnybear

I can still see them in the bookshops of the era but I thought they were just made up stories and at the time I wasn't that into the cartoon series!
JB

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I can still see them in the bookshops of the era but I thought they were just made up stories and at the time I wasn't that into the cartoon series!
JB
I saw - and have - the live action APE TV series, but I only saw a couple of episodes of the cartoon TV series as a little kid. I don't think mum ever saw any of the cartoon. And neither of us were aware that the books were based upon it.

johnnybear

Strange that the cartoon had such an ending! The return of the flying monster and the great ape while Jeff and the others lived in the pueblo with the primitive humans and Brent safe from the apes led by Urko! It didn't seem as though it was the end and that it was going to continue...
JB

Doctor Omega

From Wickepedia....

As with the live action television series, the animated series was concluded before the resolution of the storyline, and we do not learn if the astronauts are able to return to their own time period. But the animated series does otherwise offer a conclusion. Doctor Zaius, in recognising the threat of a military overthrow from General Urko, assures that he is relieved of command. Further, Cornelius and Zira, in recognising that simian society was established long after human society had deteriorated, believed that the time was right for humans to be offered equal rights to that of apes and intend to present their proposition to the Senate.

Not exactly a satisfying ending though.

Having said that, I have to be honest and say that I have yet to do a proper marathon where I am actually concentrating on the animated show. My mind always wanders and I end completely losing the plot and giving up. I am determined to concentrate on the show right through one of these days! Not sure why it fails to grip me.

johnnybear

Did you ever see the cartoon back in the day, Doc? I did, and although I enjoyed it, I still preferred the live action television series and even more the original film! I could never get used to the technology the apes possessed compared to the other versions plus the monsters which appeared from time to time although the comic books of the era did show us mutant creatures living in the Forbidden Zone occasionly!
JB

Doctor Omega

I never saw it back in the day, but I do have the cartoon show on dvd, JB - and the odd thing is that, every time I start to watch it, I find my attention wanders and I just lose interest in it. And the episodes feel more like a full length movie instead of twenty minutes.

I have made two sincere attempts to do a marathon of the cartoon now and each time I get as far as the middle of the second episode before putting something else on seems a brilliant prospect.

It doesn't mean I have given up on it, but it is odd that I seem unable to engage with it - and also odd that the episodes seem such a turgid trek, when I am not sure why.

I definitely intend to give it another shot and stick with it next time.

But I said that last time! :emoji_disappointed:

johnnybear

I bought it back in 2006 as it was only available singularly on region 1 but I still haven't even opened it let alone watched it! I was going to a few years back but I went through a spate of faulty DVDs and I had to replace them first but by that time the need had gone!
JB