The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
So, the title says it all, no need for explanations or arguments about wether or not this should be allowed. This is just one of many crazy and unheard of board arguments that pushed IMDb and Amazon to shut the boards down.

This is my opinion as a member and this is also the reason why I don't like the boards as much as I used to. I read many discussions about how it's "not that bad", but crap like that is not moderated except foul language, yet it still allows calling names like imbecile and stuff like that.

It makes me sad this is considered normal behaviour on IMDb and anyone that is against this is called a snowflake or thin skinned.

Read at your own risk

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3647998/board/nest/265662274?ref_=tt_bd_3

If you have or find any examples like this feel free to share them here and I will add them.

Do NOT start or continue these discussions/arguments here, they will be deleted without notification.

for reading my rant. Carry on, lol.
That's not even the worst I've seen. You should check out the South Park board.

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
Awesome Stuff IMDb is Flushing Down the Toilet

Comrade @divemaster13 posted a review of the seminal film A Tale of Two Sisters over in the Asian Cinema Forum and it made me remember the seminal thread entitled Explanation of a Masterpiece - All Your Questions Answered (3rd edition) over on IMDb Board: A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)from user opiemar.

That's the kind of thing that's going to be gone forever in less than a week. I'm grabbing that one and will re-post it in the Asian Forum for posterity. There are a few others I'm after.

Maybe others here have fond memories of helpful ultra-mega-explanation posts they'd like to see not vanish forever. If you do, dump them in this thread temporarily, or find a good home for them somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

CoriSCapnSkip

Member: Rank 2
Please copy and paste the following and distribute as widely as possible.

Internet Movie Database Fans Unite! Don’t let IMDb get away with the wanton destruction of nearly thirty years of message board content from millions of users including irreplaceable input from participants in many historic shows! Some of this valuable insight came from people no longer with us. On February 20, all message boards on the site are scheduled for deletion. All pleas to archive the content while upgrading the boards, or even creating completely new boards and making the old boards available as read-only archives, has fallen on deaf ears as the owners continue to obfuscate with silly excuses about the setup being ancient and trolls making the boards no longer a positive experience, insulting their loyal users and concealing their true motives. If the ill-advised owners insist on destroying one of the best sites on the internet, they must not escape unscathed. Here is a step-by-step plan to make them regret one of the poorest business decisions made in the history of decision-making, not to mention a senseless destruction of culture.

1. Go to your user profile at http://www.imdb.com
Remove any reviews or personal contributions which you may have made to the website which can be removed other than message board posts. Archive them for future usage on other sites.

Removing reviews is a simple straightforward process not involving having to go to each individual page and hunt your own review. In your user profile, click on reviews. They can be exported and saved by saving each page of reviews as a PDF file and also copying and pasting as text. The expanded view should display the full text in a copy-friendly format. Then you can go right down the list deleting each one.

2. Make your ratings private.

3. Post your views on the board closures to Get Satisfaction. Upvote others with same issue: http://www.imdb.com/help/show_leaf?getsatisfaction

4. Spread the #IMDBExodus hashtag on Facebook, Twitter, or any other media of your choice, on February 20th.

5. Delete your account from IMDb -- here's the link -- http://www.imdb.com/register/delete Or, if you intend to continue visiting IMDb, use a browser extension such as AdBlock

6. Remove the IMDb app from your devices.

7. Since IMDb is owned by Amazon.com, BOYCOTT AMAZON! If possible save your Amazon content, such as Wish List, elsewhere as well, and delete your account! (If you wish, you can find for yourself contacts for Amazon Feedback, Amazon owner Jeff Bezos, and IMDb owner Col Needham, but they are not included here as they result in dismissive form replies.)

8. Set up a dummy email address and create a Troll account at IMDb.

Someone needs to begin a list of top movies in which Amazon is invested, which they are either funding, or are bestsellers for Amazon. Go to your IMDb Troll account and post a flaming one-star review panning as many of these cinematic efforts as possible!

These are just a few ways you can turn your feelings about IMDb's closure of the message boards into actions that will eventually have an impact on the site, if enough people act.

9. Check out alternate sites. Of about 40 choices, as of now these 4 have emerged as the best possibilities.

https://www.imdforums.com

http://imdb2.freeforums.net

http://www.moviechat.org

https://www.themoviedb.org

10. If there is any other content important to you, such as user comments on your favorite movies, save it in some form now, because after all these actions take place, Internet Movie Database will not be an extant entity much longer!

Another to consider is identifying their advertisers. Perhaps they are listed somewhere and we can all contact them urging a boycott.

Thank you for your support.

Last edited:

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
Everyone is kinda of nervous to join new boards. I like to see what each board has to offer. As long as a board is policed great, no trolls, or anyone downing people we are good. I don't mind a good rip or two, but some people take it a little too far. Everyone is also worried about new boards getting hit with alot more people, and problems.

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
Everyone is kinda of nervous to join new boards. I like to see what each board has to offer. As long as a board is policed great, no trolls, or anyone downing people we are good. I don't mind a good rip or two, but some people take it a little too far. Everyone is also worried about new boards getting hit with alot more people, and problems.
The Forum has to be build by the community and they also police the forums as there are terms and rules. We are all working hard to make this a great place but there is only so much we can do. If you keep each other in check then a troll won't get a chance to do anyone harm :)

Let them all come, we can take a hit and this forum is made for the masses. Also runs on dedicated servers, so no limitations for size.

duzit

I was just told by IMDB FB that I was posting inappropriate posts & if I didn't stop, I could lose my previledges. Guess I better stop for today...:(:(:(

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
Good Songs to say Goodbye to IMDB with?

Goodbye to Romance - Ozzy comes to mind when I thought of the boards ending.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gema

Member: Rank 1
Welcome, Arch Stanton . . . .

Hello Arch, I too just migrated from IMDb. You said something about them being archived? What does that mean? That the posts will stay for people to read, but we won't be able to reply anymore? Or they will be stored elsewhere, where nobody will see them? Which is great as it would be a shame to lose everything, but if nobody can read them, what is the point of having them?

I am glad to have a new site, but it will be hard to find people talking about what I am interested in, on any given day. On IMDb, I would go to the movie or show I was interested in, etc. Here...there are sooooo many things...I am lost.

Gema

duzit

Last edited:

duzit

@Gema
Another suggestion is to use the "search" just like you did @ IMDB. Type in the name of a movie and if there is already a thread created, (there are a lot of title threads already created just waiting for content) you can join in the discussion. If there is no thread, you can create one and start a discussion. The site Admin. is very flexible about letting the members create/contribute to the content of the site...♡♡♡:):):)