Information Possible Terrorist Attack At Concert in UK (Warning: Bad Language)

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
There was an explosion at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester tonight. I'm no fan of Ms. Grande, but this pisses me off to no end because this attack targeted families. Parents and children. This is senseless violence for no purpose other than to be an evil excuse for a human being. This is one of many reasons why I steer clear of any and all organized religions. The mindset that your imaginary friend will reward you for being a coward, for killing innocent people in their name? Fuck you! Suicide bombers, people who shoot up/bomb abortion clinics, people who bomb mosques, synagogues, or churches that serve mostly people of color...how in the fuck can you be so hateful and completely stupid? And this, not only hurting and killing innocent people, but scarring young children to the point that they may be scared to ever go out and enjoy life? What the fuck purpose does any of this serve besides being a huge dick?

Sorry for the rant, folks. I just don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
It's not an unfair rant.... there are a lot of things in my life right now that make me want to start going to down to the gun range on "ladies night" (yeah, you heard it here first... ladies night at the gun range) and start learning how to disassemble/reassemble, load, operate and generally handle one of the beasts, because at some point (as with vehicles) I know there may come a time when I'm going to have access to one, it's going to be needed (for whatever reason) and knowing how to use it could save someone's life.....

My Mum taught me that about cars as soon as I was old enough to drive. "Learn to drive everything on wheels and keep up with it. There is every possibility that over the course of your life, someone will need help of some kind and if you can't drive everything available, they may not be able to get the help they need because no one could drive the only vehicle available at the time." Was she out of date in an era of cell phones? Maybe, maybe not. Does it really apply to weapons? Same answer. Because we live in world where some religions are built around books with elements in them that advocate for conversion or death.... or death in general because that makes the "warriors" heroes in the eyes of their gods and things like this have existed since the beginning of organized religion. The Spanish Inquisition wasn't just a really funny sketch from Monty Python... it was a mass assault on other innocent humans and other religions of every shape, size, gender and color. Convert or Die is the history of the world and it's all written in blood! The blood of the innocent, the blood of the armies of believers who "were only doing their duty" and the blood of the observers "who had to have known about it because this simply couldn't happen in a neighboring town without that town knowing exactly what was going on here"

Those were brief, simplistic examples from the many assaults courtesy of "Major" religions (The Spanish Inquisition, The Middle Eastern Holy Wars, the oppression of women via "The Eradication of Witchcraft" and let's not forget the vilification of the German public in general after WWII (as if each one of them, personally, raised a weapon against the Jews and the Homosexuals and the Gipsies). Do you really think that everyone in our country knew about the Internment of the Japanese? Do you really believe that after they had converted the mostly useless acreage of King's Valley in CA to the fertile growing region it became (using methods handed down by generations of families who lived and worked on soil that was equally useless in Japan) that the Govt. of CA would release the Japanese they had interred and then give them their land back? OF course not! CA farmers had seen what could be done on that land and they wanted it for themselves. So the Japanese, many of them first and second generation, got a "really sorry but: you could have been spies" and sent back to whatever lives they could make for themselves on land that they held titles to but could no longer access because the paper it was written on was useless to them.

How many lives were ruined when Sen. McCarthy went on his own personal witch hunts looking for "the danger within"? How many people lost their livelihoods because McCarthy & Hoover were paranoid freaks? How many lives are being lost right now because the POTUS has closed our borders to refugees who are being murdered all over the world for what they believe?.... Maybe he loves the bloody Russians so much because they live under a leader who doesn't believe in anything but power and money either....

But all of a sudden we seem to be living in a world where knowing how to operate any gun I can get my hands on, safely and legally, doesn't seem like such a crazy option anymore. Because we live in a country where our POTUS wants to employ the National Guard on our own Governors for disagreeing with him and (like China, England and France before him) thinks "building a wall" will "keep us safe".... well, Mr POTUS... Hadrian's Wall is rubble now and you can ask France how safe The Maginot Line kept their land and their works of art and I'm thinking that just because you can see it from space, The Great Wall of China didn't do them any good either. But what the hell do I know? I'm just a woman who has made some observations about history that no one in The White House have ever even considered...... You think ISIS is bad? Give our POTUS a couple more years.... Because his first four months are almost a mirror of what happened in Germany during Hitler's first four months as Chancellor and if he takes a political party (or anything else he thinks is "against" him, has been "mean" to him or just doesn't like in general) "out for a ride" in July and they never, ever come back.... Well, all he'll have left to do is grow a little mustache and start ejecting national, world-wide and other publishers of news and events in our time out of "his" country, so he can take over the news, turn it into propaganda and presto we get a dictator of our very own!

These problems are not just about groups like ISIS and they don't live, survive and thrive in a vacuum. They are being fed by political decisions made by idiots in offices all over the world.... just like our POTUS. Or did you really think that The French Revolution evolved on it's own and came out of nowhere with no signs of warning whatsoever? Which is not to say that I wouldn't find some small sense of comfort in seeing a guillotine being erected on the White House lawn...... just sayin that nothing, in the history of the world, has ever come down to just one thing and innocents are always going to be involved because they are often the fodder that feeds the machine.

This was not a happy post. This is not a happy world right now and, much as I love them, I don't think even my DBs can save us from what else we will face in the future.....So gun lessons?..... I never, ever truly thought it would come to this.......
I don't begrudge anyone else their right to believe whatever they want (and defend themselves however they want)..... But I'm pretty sure I never believed it would ever end up involving me.... which probably makes me part of the problem too....... Wow, so now I suck just as much as the situation does.

:emoji_cry:

CS.... you know that none of this was on you buddy; right? It was just my "rave" that happened to follow your "rant"! Cause every good rant needs a rave to go along with it........

chainsaw_metal1

CS.... you know that none of this was on you buddy; right? It was just my "rave" that happened to follow your "rant"! Cause every good rant needs a rave to go along with it........
I do know. And while I was raised around guns and to love and respect them, I have no desire to ever use one again. I won't take away someone else's right to own one (with limitations, no civilian needs the firepower afforded the military), but I wish not to use them. But if it came down to it, I do know how to, and would if it were necessary. I really hope it never comes to that.

But, to paraphrase Tolkein, I look not to hope, it has been abandoned here.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
I look not to hope, it has been abandoned here.
Hence my painful decision that it was time for me to learn about something "else".... But to learn about it in a safe and controlled environment.... Something that unlike the usefulness of being able to drive any kind of vehicle in an emergency.... is also a response to our rapidly diminishing hope.

These are terrible times we live in. But if you really think about it... every generation has lived in terrible times of one sort or another.
So although, as always, I am not confident we will learn from them I do have hope that we will survive and move forward. That, at the very least, is something to cling to.

:emoji_kiss:

chainsaw_metal1

But if you really think about it... every generation has lived in terrible times of one sort or another.
My folks lived through the worst of the cold war, and fear of nuclear war. Being born in the mid-70s, I remember even then worrying about it. Then we started turning things around, and things got better. Then 9/11 happened, and suddenly everyone started thinking about bomb shelters again and it turned into the red scare mark II. Now it's worse, because our "president" is making enemies of our allies, and making friends with people who should be placed in a jail cell next to him.

Sorry, I'm just having a difficult time processing how so many people can still support this asshat. We're never going to get to a utopia society like in Star Trek the way we're going.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Sorry, I'm just having a difficult time processing how so many people can still support this asshat
He is, in my unfortunate opinion, not the only asshat to take office.

It hasn't just been bombs and the cold war. It's been China, Germany before the wall came down, the depression, The Civil War which we fought for a variety of reasons and then ended up with the blacks in just as bad shape as they were before the war. There were chain gangs and prejudice and outright lies about liberties they would have and weren't honored. Before WWII many in our population hated the Jews as much as the Germans did and our "foreign policy" was just to "let it be" (in other words let Hitler do what he wanted, we didn't trust them either) and that came straight from members of FDR's cabinet! We knew, in advance, that Japan planned on bombing Pearl Harbor and FDR & Churchill let it happen because our country wanted to remain isolationists in spite of the fact that the German army was rolling over Europe like it was farmland and killing millions "He" didn't approve of just because they were there. Why do you think that so many of the ships that would normally have been at harbor in Hawaii were out on "maneuvers". We had to keep enough ships there to leave it as a target but still have enough at sea to take on Japan.

We've suffered through the depression, Watergate, The Viet Nam War, Race riots and watched on TV while the police in this country pulled blacks out of their cars and beat them nearly to death.... and we watched it in Seattle when the WTO came into town and wreaked havoc with our political system. We've had Presidents who bailed out Savings & Loans all over the country because they did just what Wall Street did and cleaned out the elderly who'd invested everything with them only to lose it all. We watched Enron declare bankruptcy and then clean out their employee 401K's and their retirement and the stocks they owned in the company they believed in so that the Board of Directors and CEOs could make off with billions of dollars their employees would never get access to. We've seen oil companies destroy our natural resources and then refuse to make good on any of the penalties! We are living in an era when people who should be able to retire can't do it and are working at McDonalds to help them make ends meet. We aren't feeding our children and live in a society, a part of which wants all children brought to term and then doesn't care what happens to them after that.....

We don't have any separation between church and state anymore. We have broken the backs of the monopoly laws that were supposed to prevent companies like Disney from buying news stations and every other bloody thing they own... We are a corporate nation whose leaders are funded by and answer to the companies that run our country. We don't have a "vote" anymore because the Electoral College has taken the place of the "majority" who is supposed to decide who gets into office and who doesn't. This is the second election where the EC has determined our Pres. instead of the people who actually went out to vote. One of those Presidents declared war on a country that had nothing to do with 9-11 and had no WoMD but had a wealth of oil that he wanted control of. Thank him for Homeland Security which is under no obligation whatsoever to honor any of our Constitutional Rights because he was a jumped-up power happy little freak as well!... He just came from a "political family" and graduated Princeton at the bottom of his class.

We are a series of disasters that has eliminated virtually all of the middle-class and cannot understand why they can't continue to squeeze blood out of rocks that have no life in them at all. We are an embarrassment to ourselves and fools to the rest of the world...
and we've brought it all on ourselves.

And you'll have to pardon the bat-shit crazy rant on all of that because unfortunately, I am in the middle of my own war at home and don't seem to have the resources necessary to make a peace of any kind. So forgive me for going off like a nuke on my own country. But... unfortunately, I'm sorry to say that I believe most of it is true. Even though no one wants to admit it and many would probably like to burn me at the stake for saying so......

And I can't go on like this CS, my friend, I'm afraid I've had all I can stomach.....

:emoji_cry: :emoji_head_bandage:

chainsaw_metal1

I need a laugh. It's time to list Trump's Favorite Movies. (Don't worry, you'll catch the rules of the game quick enough)

The Covfefe Strikes Back
The Good, The Bad, and the Covfefe
The Covfefe Berets
Clash of the Covfefe
Harry Potter and the Covfefe of Secrets
Avengers: Age of Covfefe
The House That Dripped Covfefe
The Texas Covfefe-Saw Massacre
28 Days Covfefe
Night of the Living Covfefe
Zack & Miri Make A Covfefe

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
ALL THE PRESIDENT'S COVFEFE

THE COVFEFE CODE

FIFTY SHADES OF COVFEFE

BASIC COVFEFE

BIG COVFEFE IN LITTLE CHINA

BILL & TED'S EXCELLENT COVFEFE

THE DAY AFTER COVFEFE

DELTA FORCE 2: THE COVFEFE CONNECTION

DIE HARD WITH A COVFEFE

SEE NO COVFEFE, HEAR NO COVFEFE

THE SECRET OF MY COVFEFE

SEX AND THE COVFEFE

STAR TREK III - THE SEARCH FOR COVFEFE

SEX, LIES AND COVFEFE

THE MEN WHO STARE AT COVFEFE

COVFEFE NOW

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN COVFEFE

A VIEW TO A COVFEFE

LICENCE TO COVFEFE

DR STRANGELOVE OR: HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE COVFEFE

Carol

Member: Rank 5
I just don't want to live on this planet anymore.
Laddie, I'll show you a good time in Manchester any time you like - you and Mrs Metal and the junior Metals included - actually I'll be working over summer (fingers crossed) and beyond for Manchester University Press so expect I'll soon have even better contacts for even better times. Keep you posted.
As for London - we're bloody fine (and have an excellent, intelligent, caring and dignified Mayor, thanks for asking) - I was trotting over London Bridge 2 days before the unpleasantness, had lunch in Borough market just a week ago and - shit - if the IRA couldn't piss us off, shit-for-brains "Islamists" have no chance.
Huge thank you for the solidarity though - very much appreciated.