Review Oldest Footage of London Ever (1917)

duzit

Member: Rank 6
Doc O, thanks for finding this.:emoji_heart_eyes: I like this type of history, the "now" & "then" side by sides were especially
interesting. It would be a suggestion to look for similar films of the cities of our members countries. For
example Australia, USA, Japan. I myself would be interested in NYC, San Fran, Boston, Cleveland. Perhaps
other members will give requests. I know our friend @Carol will enjoy this one. Thanks again◆◆◆♡♡♡

Carol

Member: Rank 5
@duzit
Totally right - I think its fantastic. The camera work in matching up the modern shots is clearly a labour of much love and, given modern traffic, verging on suicidal at times, and even the music is very thoughtfully chosen.
Thanks from me too Doc, it's a gem of a find!

Of course I should be failing my heritage as a proud Yorkshirewoman and Loiner if I didn't add that the very first moving pictures known of all are the Le Prince snippets from Leeds, 1888. They're tiny, but they count, too.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
That's amazing presumably old film, modern colourisation? I've seen Nosferatu and Metropolis in hand-tinted versions, but they're state of the art for 1920s and still not as subtle as this one.
Sigh - never been to Berlin - maybe one day...

Nick91

Member: Rank 2
It's a cool video, but the thread title is a bit misleading since the oldest footage ever of London predates 1917 by several years. At minute 0.53 in the embedded Youtube video, we see the Big Ben from way back in 1890.