Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I'd heard that they'd pulled Inhumans from the movie line up and were considering a TV series for those characters instead.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Stan Lee wants the Fantastic Four and X-Men film rights to be back at Marvel

article_post_width_stanlee.jpeg

Decades ago, Marvel sold the film rights for a number of characters to a number of film studios. Marvel themselves had no interest in making superhero movies at the time so they let other studios like Sony and Fox handle that for them.Some of the characters sold off are the life and blood of Marvel, Spider-Man, the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, and Universal and Marvel have a bit of a confusing deal for The Hulk (he's allowed to be used in ensemble films, but not solo movies, hence why he's being used to team up with Thor in Thor: Ragnarok as a loophole).

Marvel and Sony made a deal to share the film rights for Spider-Man in 2015 which lead to him appearing in Captain America: Civil War last year and an upcoming solo movie in July of this year. The character will appear in a couple more Avengers movies and a sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming later down the road.

Marvel and Fox, however, have never been able to land a deal for X-Men or the Fantastic Four meaning a large number of major characters are completely unusable. Fox also owns the rights to Sliver Surfer and Galactus. Marvel has expressed interest in gaining the characters back but they've been unable to strike a deal.

Fans have understandably been annoyed by this and so has one other person of interest, Stan Lee, the creator of almost all of those characters.

Yesterday, I got to sit in on a Q&A with Stan Lee in Des Moines, Iowa and a fan asked him why Fox and Marvel can't come to an agreement. He wasn't specifically aware of all of the particular conditions of the deal or if they'll be able to make it right but he wants them in the movies too.

"We should have all of our characters under Marvel," Lee stated. "Remind me on my way home to do something about that. We'll do our best." He said smiling as the crowd applauded.

Obviously, he was probably half-joking as it would require a lot of convincing and money to make it happen but he genuinely appeared to want the characters under Marvel's control again.

It was also hinted at that a major new character will appear in Avengers: Infinity War. When asked if he could give us any details, his assistant whispered in his ear and told him he can't discuss it in-depth. He said that a new character (maybe even multiple) would appear and it would please the fans.

Avengers: Infinity War will hit theaters next May with the untitled sequel releasing in May of 2019

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

spider-man-homecoming-international-header-240591.jpg

Sony’s Marvel Universe won’t actually connect to the Marvel Universe

It’s a world of Spider-Man instead

With Tom Hardy set to play the villainous Venom in a stand-alone movie for Sony, the studio has officially launched its own attempt to jump on the success of Marvel’s Cinematic Universe.

Following Spider-Man: Homecoming, which will be released in the coming weeks, Sony has plans to release a spinoff film focusing on one of Spider-Man’s most recognizable villains, Venom. There are also plans for Silver Sable and Black Cat spin-offs, all tied into the Spider-Man world that Sony owns the rights to.

When Sony confirmed yesterday that Hardy would be playing Venom, the studio used an interesting phrase to define the universe that the film would belong to: Sony’s Marvel Universe.

Tom Hardy is Eddie Brock in #Venom, the upcoming film from Sony’s Marvel Universe releasing October 5, 2018 – production starts this fall.

Sony’s Marvel Universe directly relates to the number of Spider-Man adjacent projects the studio has, but in no way will the majority of these movies ever actually crossover with the Marvel Universe. The reason Spider-Man: Homecoming stars Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man and references Captain America is because the film is being produced in partnership between the two studios.

Here’s how the breakdown of Sony and Marvel’s relationship works: In order for Disney to get Spider-Man in its movies without paying millions in licensing fees, the studio made a deal with Sony. Spider-Man movies, like Spider-Man: Homecoming, would result in profit for Sony, not Marvel. At the same time, Sony won’t make any money off of Marvel movies that use Spider-Man, like Captain America: Civil War or its upcoming Avengers: Infinity War.

When the deal between the two companies was made in 2015, Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige told Variety he didn’t have any interest in working together on the Sinister Six spinoff movies, which Venom belongs to. Spider-Man: Homecoming director Jon Watts echoed Feige’s comments, confirming that Venom isn’t connected to the Marvel universe.

“It’s not. It’s not connected to the Marvel world, so that’s really intriguing … what that will be,” Watts said. “I don’t know anything about it. It’s not connected, so there’s not that overlap. I’m only focused on my movie right now.”

The big “if” that people have been scratching their heads over is whether or not Sony and Marvel’s new Spider-Man will show up in the stand-alone Venom movie. Sony hasn’t officially commented on whether or not actor Tom Holland will make an appearance, but we can make some educated guesses based on the casting. The version of Venom that Hardy will be playing is Eddie Brock, one of the human host’s that Venom takes over. One would assume that Holland will be in the movie, but reports suggest that Spider-Man may not appear at all.

“IT’S NOT CONNECTED TO THE MARVEL WORLD”

Regardless of if he does or not, the use of “Marvel Universe” by Sony suggests that there will be more to the world the studio wants to create beyond Spider-Man, but that’s just not true. Whereas Spider-Man will exist within a universe already set up by Marvel with multiple superheroes from a variety of comics, Sony will rely on characters within Spider-Man. Sony isn’t creating a Marvel Universe so much as it’s creating a Spider-Man universe.

There’s nothing wrong with that. Spider-Man is one of Marvel’s most beloved comics with a plethora of interesting villains that could make a very sustainable on-screen universe. Without the legal limitations put upon Sony by Marvel and the rights to other characters, Sony can have Venom appear in a Silver Sable or Black Cat movie and bring them all together for the studio’s own climactic mega entry in the franchise akin to The Avengers.

But this isn’t a Marvel Universe in the same way that Marvel’s Cinematic Universe is and it simply can’t be. Spider-Man will exist as part of Marvel’s Universe but Iron Man or Black Panther will never exist as part of Sony’s.

Venom can be special; it’s an intriguing character with a strong director and lead actor, but trying to force a universe may not be the best bet.

Spider-Man: Homecoming will be released on July 7.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Spidey Out of MCU Following Homecoming Sequel?

Some concern has been expressed over Amy Pascall - of Sony's - comments which suggest that - after the Spiderman Homecoming sequel - the deal might well be off...

Doctor Omega

Kevin Feige’s Goal is to Get All Marvel Characters Back

kevin-feige-talks-all-things-marvel.jpg

Jeremy Lasky, a co-founder of Perception – the company that redesigned the logo and opening animation for Marvel Studios releases – shared a phoner interview he had with Kevin Feige, and in it they discuss the hopes for the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. And yes, there’s a big desire to get all of Marvel’s characters back under the Marvel Entertainment umbrella.

With Guardians of the Galaxy 2 representing the 15th movie in the MCU Feige says when it comes to the legacy of what this franchise is and will be for the long-term future, he hopes it can “stand the test of time,” and see if their projects can inspire future generations the same way the movies of the ’80s (specifically, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Back to the Future) inspired him.

The more interesting, and perhaps obvious, answer came from the next question at the end of the interview. We know when Disney acquired Marvel Entertainment, their leadership didn’t love the fact that many of their key film licenses were held by competitors due to deals made in the ’90s. Fox had the X-Men, Daredevil, and Fantastic Four; Sony had Spider-Man; and there were other studios holding rights to characters including Ant-Man, Iron Fist, Blade, Punisher, etc.. Many of these have since returned under the ownership of Marvel, and Spider-Man is in the MCU thanks to a partnership deal with Sony, but yes the “grand plan” is to bring it all back under one studio.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
You know how cool it would be to have all the right back at Marvel.
They are the only one who have some grasp on the universe they are building.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I'd love to see Fantastic Four back in the MCU where they belong. And it would be great to see a movie made by someone who understands the property. I'm not as concerned about the X-Men. They're a big enough franchise that keeping them separate works OK (as long as Fox make good movies about them). And it could quickly become overwhelming in the MCU if all the characters were back there. The annual comics super crossovers are generally a bit flooded with characters and in a 2-3 hour movie if you've got to fit the Avengers, Guardians, Fantastic Four, Spiderman, and the X-Men you're likely to only get cameos from most characters. And even from a solo movie perspective, there's only so much space for a single production company to fill. If Disney have to fit a Star Wars movie and 3-4 Marvel movies in every year (as well as all their other stuff) how many lesser known characters are going to get ignored or just dropped in as supporting characters in other movies. Would we have ever got a Black Panther movie or Captain Marvel if the MCU had X-Men movies to fit in as well?

Doctor Omega

Gunn Runs Post-“Avengers” Marvel Cosmic Universe

gunn-runs-post-avengers-marvel-cosmic-universe-696x464.jpg

Right before “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” opened, filmmaker James Gunn confirmed that he would write and direct the third chapter. This week he tells IGN that the third ‘Guardians’ will play a big part in how the MCU develops going forward, and so he is expanding his role.

This means working with Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige to help oversee the future of the entire Marvel Cosmic Universe in a post-“Avengers: Infinity War” phase:

“We talk about it all the time. It’s already a part of what I’m doing with Marvel and the conversations that Kevin and I have every day. When we’re talking about ‘Guardians of the Galaxy 3,’ and that story, that’s a story that will lead to other stories. It’s innate to the DNA that that’s the end of a trilogy but it’s the beginning of a whole other element of the Marvel Cosmic universe. That’s a part of what I’m doing now.”

Gunn has previously stated that “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” will take place years after Vol. 2 and will conclude the story of the current Guardians team as well as serve as a launching pad for new Marvel characters.

Doctor Omega

Holland Confirms “Spider-Man” Trilogy Plans

holland-confirms-spider-man-trilogy-plans-696x464.jpg

Though he’s already been on screen in “Captain America: Civil War” and will pop up in the next two “Avengers” films, actor Tom Holland gets his first true solo outing in the role of Spider-Man with next month’s “Spider-Man: Homecoming”.

The project is the first in a collaboration between Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures, but how much further will it go? There was a report not long ago, with a quote from Marvel’s Kevin Feige himself, that the deal called for only two “Spider-Man” films with the second set for 2019.

Holland, however, says this week that trilogy plans are in place:

“There is still a lot of room for Peter Parker and Spider-Man especially to grow in the next two movies. He’s definitely not the finished article by the end of Spider-Man: Homecoming and I really look forward to exploring the different ways he can grow up and go through puberty I guess. It’s going to be an exciting couple of movies… Yeah, there’ll be Spider-Man 2 and 3, it won’t be Homecoming 2 and 3.”

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

R-Rated MCU Films Possible, But No Venom

r-rated-mcu-films-possible-but-no-venom-696x464.jpg

Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige has previously remained steadfast to the company’s commitment to keep the movies within the Marvel Cinematic Universe within a family-friendly zone – no R rated features.

Now though it looks like he may be softening his position as, during an interview with Allocine, Feige was asked about the possibility of an R-rated Marvel movie. He responded: “Currently we don’t work on R-Rated movies, it’s not out of the question but currently, no.”

He also shot down rumors of any non-“Spider-Man” films at Sony becoming part of the MCU, especially the “Venom” film currently in the works. He says: “No plans to include [Venom] in the MCU right now. That is Sony’s project.”

The MCU is currently in production on “Avengers: Infinity War”. A fourth “Avengers” and the “Ant-Man” sequel begin production in July and will continue throughout much of 2017, while “Captain Marvel” will shoot in the first half of next year

Doctor Omega

Pascal Clears Up “Venom,” “Silver” MCU Confusion

pascal-clears-up-venom-silver-mcu-confusion-696x464.jpg

Amy Pascal has clarified comments from last week about how Sony-owned Spider-Man affiliated characters fit into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Pascal was captured on video, alongside Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige, as indicating that the upcoming “Venom” and “Black and Silver” films are a part of the MCU in the same way next week’s “Spider-Man: Homecoming” is.

Fandango managing editor Erik Davis spoke to Pascal this morning and she told the outlet that she’s keen to set the record straight. Davis tweeted:

“FYI: Just spoke w/ Amy Pascal & Kevin Feige who clarified that Venom, Black Cat, etc are in the Marvel comics universe but not the MCU. Pascal said she was itching to clarify that after the story this week. Those other movies will not take place in the MCU.”

Feige has consistently stated from the get go that none of the other “Spider-Man” spinoff films will be taking place in the MCU. He re-affirmed that this weekend to JoBlo:

“Right now, Spidey is in the MCU and it’s just Spidey. Civil War, Homecoming, we’ve already shot a lot of Tom Holland’s scenes in the upcoming Avengers films, and we’re just starting to solidify our plans for Homecoming 2 – we won’t call it that, whatever it is – which is exciting because it’ll be the first MCU movie after untitled Avengers in 2019. It’ll be the way Civil War informed everything in Homecoming, those movies will launch him off into a very new cinematic universe at that point. Those five movies are what we’re focusing on.”

The obvious way around the issue would be to use a different Spider-Man, ala Miles Morales, for the “Venom” and “Black and Silver” films. Morales is already coming to screens with the animated “Spider-Man” film due late 2018.

Doctor Omega

Marvel’s Phase 4 Staying Secret Until 2019

marvels-phase-4-staying-secret-until-2019-696x464.jpg

Those hoping for Marvel will soon reveal their post-“Avengers 4” plans, the so-called ‘Phase 4’ era of the MCU, I’m afraid you’ll be waiting a while.

During press for “Spider-Man: Homecoming” this weekend, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige says the film studio will be keeping details of almost all its future projects secret up until the May 2019 release of the fourth “Avengers” film. He tells io9:

“I hope [the news comes] after that [Avengers 4]. I think there will be certain elements that start to come about, not the least of which is the already announced release date of the next Spider-Man film. But other than that we’re going to keep it very close to the vest because this is really about focusing on the unprecedented conclusion to a 22-movie overarching narrative.”

A second “Spider-Man” hits July 2019 and a third “Guardians of the Galaxy” is planned for late 2019/early 2020. Beyond that though, it’s all up in the air. Feige says the next Spidey is the perfect way to kick off the new “Avengers”-era:

“So much happens in [the 3rd and 4th Avengers movies], as you can imagine, and so much is affected by it that we felt what better person to hold your hand and lead you into the next incarnation of the MCU, in a grounded, realistic manner, than Peter Parker? So, coming out two months after Untitled Avengers, [that’s what] much of what the next Spider-Man film will be about.

It was purposefully done like this. Like how the events of Captain America: Civil War impacted Peter as he was dropped off by Tony and expected to go back to continue his sophomore year, how the hell are the events of Infinity War and Untitled [Avengers] going to affect him as he, yes, goes back to his junior year?”

Marvel has “Thor: Ragnarok,” “Black Panther,” “Avengers: Infinity War,” “Ant-Man and the Wasp” and “Captain Marvel” all set to come out before May 2019.

Doctor Omega

Peter Parker Really Was In “Iron Man 2”?

peter-parker-really-was-in-iron-man-2.jpg

One of the better fan theories about the Marvel Cinematic Universe has seemingly been confirmed.

“Spider-Man: Homecoming” star Tom Holland has told The Huffington Post that his character of Peter Parker is the kid wearing an Iron Man mask at the Stark Expo during the battle scene at the end of “Iron Man 2”. Here’s the scene in question:

The fan theory has been floating around for some time as the ages line-up, the Expo takes place in Queens and Parker is both a Tony Stark fan and would be interested in technology. Marvel has now apparently retconned that moment, Holland this weekend said:

“I can confirm that as of today. I literally had a conversation with [Marvel Studios president] Kevin Feige only 20 minutes ago. Maybe I’ve just done a big, old spoiler, but it’s out there now. It’s cool. I like the idea that Peter Parker has been in the universe since the beginning.”

Holland followed that up with a comment to io9, clarifying it is him who has essentially taken it upon himself rather than being told by Marvel higher-ups:

“It’s funny, I literally had a conversation with Kevin like 20 minutes before [The Huffington Post] interview and he didn’t confirm it, I took it upon myself just because I thought it would be a good story and its exploded.”

The outlet also asked director Jon Watts if there was a chance that Peter Parker being in New York when the Battle of New York in “Avengers” took place would come up later he said:

“You have to think about two really big events. The one is seeing Tony Stark on TV, reveal to the world that he’s Iron Man. That would be so dramatic. Then, yes, the events at the end of Avengers would be a big deal to a little kid. And I think that might be something that would be worth exploring.”

They then asked Watts if it’s possible that the “Avengers” battle is where Uncle Ben died to which he responded: “Oh, that’s interesting.”

“Spider-Man Homecoming” opens July 7th.

Doctor Omega

Marvel Still Has No Set Plans For “Blade”

marvel-still-has-no-set-plans-for-blade-696x464.jpg

The film rights to the “Blade” franchise reverted back to Marvel Studios in 2013, and in the four years since there’s been no mention of plans to reintroduce the character into The MCU.

Out doing press for “Spider-Man: Homecoming” this week, Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige offers a new update which indicates desire to utilise the character, but re-affirms that there’s no actual progress.

“We think it would be cool. Someday. My tenure at Marvel started 17 years ago, and there were two things that sort of launched the modern era. One was X-Men, which was the first thing that people said, “Oh, there’s life here.” But a few years before that, there was Blade. A character nobody had heard of at all, had only appeared in a few issues of Tomb of Dracula or something, turned into a big franchise.

That was always a great lesson for me, where you go, “It doesn’t matter how well known the character is, it matters how cool the movie is.” Which, many years later, would be the reason we do Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange. I think Blade is a legacy character now, and I think it would be fun to do something with him one day.”

Feige recently states that R-rated MCU movies weren’t “out of the question,” but obviously would not be released through the Disney Pictures label.