Review Licence to Kill (1989)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Sadly, Dalton's final film, but he deals very well with the grittier storyline. In some alternate dimension, he got to make Goldeneye!

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
In some alternate dimension, he got to make Goldeneye!
I can't see Dalton ever making Goldeneye. Perhaps an alternate movie with the same name, but his Bond character would have made for a much darker storyline I suspect. Could have worked quite will with the 006 betrayal plotline though.

Doctor Omega

Watched it again this morning.

Liked it better this time. It was lighter than I remembered it. I had previously thought that it was too self-consciously dark, almost in a delayed reaction to the Moore era's comedy excesses.

I still prefer THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, but Dalton does not disgrace himself in this outing - and his devotion to trying to capture Fleming's BOND is to be applauded.

Such a shame he never got to do a trilogy, but two films is better than nothing.

Doctor Omega

Yeah, have heard of that title. I really think they should still use it.

Are there any other unused titles left, besides PROPERTY, A-M? I know THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS was a short story - and they seemed to avoid using QUANTUM OF SOLACE as long as they could, but again I think that's fine as a title, even if the film itself wasn't.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
From Ian Fleming, there are just a handful of short story titles...

RISICO, THE HILDEBRAND RARITY, 007 IN NEW YORK - and technically - FROM A VIEW TO A KILL.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
007 IN NEW YORK aside, I think the other two (or three) are fine too.
Plot points from RISICO were used during FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, plot points from THE HILDEBRAND RARITY was used during LICENCE TO KILL and bits of 007 IN NEW YORK have shown up here and there from time to time...

However, several plots from original Ian Fleming novels and short stories have never been used at all.

Doctor Omega

John Cleese/ James Bond 007 Schweppes Commercial

From the James Bond 007 "Licence to Kill" original VHS tape. This played right before the movie. Little did Cleese know He'll be part of the 007 family 10 years later...