Let's get this category started.

Discussion in 'Experimental & Avant-Garde' started by Biggie Fries, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Biggie Fries

Biggie Fries New Member

My IMDB "Watched" list.
    http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070755251/

Post yours - my best source for new (to me) films to see were other people's recommendations. Anytime I finished a film, I was immediately on IMDB, looking for the "If I liked this, what else would I like" post that was inevitably there.

• Like Like x 1
  2. The Seeker

The Seeker Active Member

Palindromes is probably avant-garde, but I refuse to watch it because THEY KILLED DAWN WEINER

I've seen The Exterminating Angel, Eraserhead, Un Chien Andelou, La Jetee, Brazil, The Seventh Seal, Pan's Labyrinth (not sure if that's avant-garde or not), and probably others I can't recall at this moment.

3. Carol

Carol Very Active Member

Thanks for your amazing list - I make that 94 recommends I should try out + 6 films where we overlap:
    (Amelie, Dogville, Chocolat, Capote, Garden State and The Cook, the Thief )

As a fairly pernicious but unavoidable on-line sales company has the habit of asking me - if you liked those, why not try these? Six of my favourite serious drama/ offbeat / derangedly weird offerings:

Wings of Desire, In Bruges, A Cock and Bull Story, The Libertine, Jarman's Tempest, Revenger's Tragedy.

Enjoy!

4. Hux

Hux Very Active Member

The Hairdresser's Husband

The Double Life of Veronique.

The Lobster (haven't seen this but hearing very good things).

5. Carol

Carol Very Active Member

Yes, my knowledge of crustacean-based cinema is also sadly lacking - (remind me never to tell you about my first experience of an actual lobster... but I could make a bizarre slapstick comedy about it - based on which bits you actually EAT - maybe someone already did?)

The excellent Ms Fries has started an intriguing thread here - sorry I never caught her thread on IMDb (love the way it's now in the past tense for conversational purposes). Maybe it would be fun to figure out what we all mean by avant-garde and experimental? I'm getting this: not primarily commercial, possibly even foreign language, bonkers art-house a definite possibility - but for me that could be 3 different categories - all equally fascinating in their ways.
    I'm half way through Two Towers right now - in a way Peter Jackson was conducting the mother of experiments - the experiment being - can Lord of the Rings be successfully filmed in live action? (So glad the answer was yes.)