Review The Whittaker Doctor

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I'm sorry but this means nothing except that either a lot of people have placed bets on Kris being the next Doctor or a few people placed large bets on it or both. The bookies do not know who the next Doctor will be any more than we do they just do not want to lose a lot of money if it is Kris.
True, but we're just engaging in a little idle speculation to kill the time.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Potential spoilers.......

Kris Marshall ‘to replace Peter Capaldi as Doctor Who at the end of season 10 instead of Christmas’

Death in Paradise star Kris Marshall has reportedly been handed the keys to the TARDIS already after being cast as the thirteenth Doctor.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/16/kris-...nd-of-season-10-instead-of-christmas-6577590/

According to The Mirror, the 44-year-old star will follow in the footsteps of Peter Capaldi, who announced his departure from the iconic BBC show last year.

But while it was previously announced that Capaldi will depart during this year’s Christmas special, the new report claims he will instead make his exit at the end of the tenth series – which kicked off with debut episode The Pilot.

The claim comes amid speculation that the show could cast the first female doctor – with bookies offering odds on Tilda Swinton and Olivia Colman taking over the reins.

Arrogant Demon

Member: Rank 1
Well that was disappointing.

I would've like to have seen a woman or person of color. I'm not to psyched about Kris Marshall, not because he's white and male-- I just think it's an underwhelming choice. Maybe because I'm used to him in Death in Paradise and remember him too well in Love, Actually.[

ant-mac

Well, I really hope these rumours are true. If so, then I actually feel temporarily excited about the future of DOCTOR WHO.

I generally like Kris Marshall's work and look forward to his interpretation of the Doctor.

Doctor Omega

What about the current rumour that......

Peter Capaldi will regenerate at the end of the season and Kris Marshall will be in the Christmas special instead?

The poor sod, if true. A whole season taken away and being shuffled offstage prematurely.

That's if it's true.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I have heard that rumor. And there's a scene in the series trailer that looks like he's regenerating. I don't think this is a good idea, as that's how Tennant was introduced, and I would have preferred that he be introduced in a series opener.

Doctor Omega

My gut reading on the whole thing is that Capaldi has not worked out for the suits. I think that he wanted to stay, but they are more interested in rating and the sales of merchandise than being supportive and willing to negotiate improvements with their star, so - realising that he is up against an unimaginative and unyielding corporate mentality - he has quietly accepted his fate. As an actor he is fully aware of what happened to Colin Baker when he went squawking to the press about how badly treated he was: Colin did not work again at the BBC for years. Capaldi has been badly treated too, in my opinion. A damaging first season, making him unsympathetic and difficult for the public to warm to. A year taken away (just like Colin) and now, possibly, a premature exit. I think that what was done to him throughout his tenure is the single biggest disappointment of modern Who. What a waste of potentially the greatest modern Doctor..... :emoji_disappointed:

To emphasise, this is just my own private reading of the situation and I confess that I may well be misreading things, but I am cynical enough to believe quietly that I am right.

ant-mac

Well, if the first incarnation of the second regeneration cycle regenerates after an encounter with the Mondasian Cybermen, does that mean that the second incarnation will then meet the Daleks in his first adventure?

Perhaps an expansion of what we saw in THE PILOT. The most interesting sequence in the entire serial and it was just glossed over...

Doctor Omega

Yes, I think Moffat is trying to be clever with the replay of the regeneration of Hartnell/Mondosians. Yes, I bet you are right, the first story will be with the Daleks and probably set on Vulcan just to cock a snook at Star Trek!

Doctor Omega

tom_ellis_lucifer.jpg

With thanks to Janine TB for bringing this to my attention, as I had not heard of this rumour.

What do people think of this possibility, hinted at by both Newsnight and Neil Gaiman?

How BBC’s Newsnight Started A Rumor About A Devilish New Candidate To Play The Doctor

This has been bouncing around the internet since Peter Capaldi announced he was leaving Doctor Who. BBC current affairs program Newsnight put together a montage of the Doctors to run at the end of their program on February 19th. The clip not only included the official doctors, but some of the unofficial ones, bringing the current total up to 14 for them. (They count the War Doctor as 9 and Richard Hurndall who filled in as the First Doctor in the Five Doctors.) So this is by far not an official list from the BBC.

The interesting part is that at the end of the montage, they show the back of a man, starring at the night sky while showing “15?”

Here is the clip.

The visual in question appears to be taken directly from a scene in Episode 9 of the FOX drama Lucifer, A Priest Walked into a Bar. So what does this mean? Did the BBC simply reuse this scene in their advertising? Or is there more to this story than meets the eye? The actor in question is Tom Ellis, Age 38, best known for his work on EastEnders as Dr. Oliver Cousins, but also played a character in the season 3 finale of Doctor Who as a character named Thomas Milligan.

There has also been the tweet of Neil Gaiman, who is writing for this season .....

I watched the LUCIFER pilot & suspect the show will become a guilty pleasure for a lot of people. Tom Ellis plays L like a sexymadbadDrWho.

Does Tom Ellis get your vote as a possible replacement?

And, if he is not, what on Earth was Newsnight playing at?

Last edited: