Review King Kong: The Broadway Musical (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
KKBROADWAY.jpg

Following a brief run in Australia, the “King Kong” musical is on its way to Broadway as producers Global Creatures and Roy Furman has announced a Fall 2018 premiere at the Shubert Organization’s Broadway Theatre.

“Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” writer Jack Thorne penned the musical which Olivier Award winner Drew McOnie will direct and choreograph. The score is composed by four-time Grammy nominee Marius de Vries (“La La Land,” “Moulin Rouge”) with songs by Eddie Perfect (“Strictly Ballroom The Musical”).

Pioneering creature designer Sonny Tilders developed Kong for the show, bringing together the worlds of animatronics and puppetry that has never been seen on stage before.

Roy Furman says: “King Kong is a quintessential New York story and I’m proud to be involved in this historic production. Our team is creating a theatrical experience that we hope will astound audiences while delighting them with its heartfelt storytelling.”

Casting and ticketing details for King Kong will be announced at a later date.

Source: THR

Last edited:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
KING KONG: THE BROADWAY MUSICAL...

Seriously?

There are certain words that simply shouldn't appear together in the same sentence - and that title is the perfect example of what I'm talking about.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Melbourne, Victoria?

Shit! That monstrosity is closer than I thought - and I don't mean the ape.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Broadway's "King Kong" puppet is a marvel of technology and stagecraft

"King Kong" made a huge splash when the movie character first appeared on screen back in 1933 and it’s remained a part of global pop culture ever since, showing up in sequels and big-budget remakes over the decades. His latest incarnation puts the giant ape somewhere both new and familiar in New York City. Jamie Wax reports.