Review It: Part 1–The Losers' Club (2017)

Amyghost

Member: Rank 3
Too bad Stanley Kubrick won't be around for this conspiracy goldmine....

Not crazy about the remake, and didn't much like the tv adaptation, but for the fact that Curry killed it as Pennywise and I don't think he can be bested. The new Pen looks more like yet another take on the Heath Ledger 'Joker' trope, and I'm sick to death of that already.

IT really stands as another one of those books which I'd rather have play out on the screen of my imagination, to be honest. Though overlong I feel it still stands as one of King's best, capturing a lot of the terrors of childhood extremely well. Unfortunately these kinds of terrors often look cheesy as hell when brought to literal life on film, and many of the scares turn to groans; it takes a very fine hand indeed, film-wise, to avoid that. And I agree that I don't trust King's opinion on films made from his works. He'll drown them in over-fulsome praise when they're new, and then reserves the back-handed compliments for years later, as he did with The Shining (and god knows, he claimed to love the awful telly remake of that, claiming somewhere that it was 'the best adaptation of his work to date'. Ugh.)

RepairedSpace06

Member: Rank 1
I didn't like the 1990 series, so I have no interest in this one. Why oh why, do they just keep redoing things
over & over!!!
Because the source material is worth another try. (IMO, of course.) IT being my all-time favorite novel, the made-for-TV adaptation was mega-disappointing. Let's face it, the miniseries is essentially a CHILDREN'S film compared to what it should have been, although Tim Curry is undeniably fantastic whenever he is onscreen. Personally, believe it or not, the Derry shown in this short trailer looks identical to how I imagined it reading the book. I swear they took the leper house straight out of my mind! I admit Pennywise doesn't look very good, but we haven't seen much of It in action yet.

Sunflower007

:emoji_relieved: ~ I am definitely going to see IT. I love the novel:emoji_purple_heart: & the mini-series. I am not sure if they're going to stay true to the book. I seriously doubt it since films hardly stay true to any novel. I am glad that they're making it a two part movie. It needs to be long.

*~:emoji_crocodile:~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
:emoji_musical_score:
"Well you may not see me when you come back

I could be sharing someone else's pillow
And my love for you is better than diamonds
To you everything I bestow"

By: Mundy

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Pennywise Attacks in Creepy New IT Set Photo

NEHnZvaGAGpULM_1_b.jpg

We're not sure where this image came from, but it shows Bill Skarsgard's Pennywise attacking some poor unsuspecting soul. In the background, we see star Finn Wolfhard and a few other actors and crew members looking on. It's an exciting image, with a lot going on. And we see the sewer set along with one of the young cast eating his lunch. All in all, it shows the lightheartedness of the set atmosphere while truly horrible things are happening in front of the camera.

PHllWBJ7OHqcpm_1_l.jpg

Sunflower007

:emoji_hushed:~This new Pennywise the clown is freaky looking but he doesn't come close to scary as the original Pennywise of the 90's version.

*~ :emoji_eye::emoji_eye:~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
:emoji_musical_score:

"Well you may not see me when you come back
I could be sharing someone else's pillow
And my love for you is better than diamonds
To you everything I bestow"

By: Mundy

Doctor Omega

Pennywise Actor Scared Kids On “IT” Set

mtv-movie-awards-sneak-peek-it-696x464.jpg

Out of make-up he was the hunky lead of “Hemlock Grove,” but under some theatrical face paint and costuming, actor Bill Skarsgard becomes the creepy Pennywise the Clown in the upcoming film adaptation of Stephen King’s “IT”.

So far the character has only been glimpsed in photos and trailers, with Skarsgard giving off a sense of real menace. Turns out that was also the case on the film’s set when he was introduced to some unsuspecting child extras. He tells Interview Magazine (via The Wrap):

“At one point, they set up this entire scene, and these kids come in, and none of them has seen me yet. Their parents have brought them in, these little extras, right? And then I come out as Pennywise, and these kids – young, normal kids -I saw the reaction that they had.

Some of them were really intrigued, but some couldn’t look at me, and some were shaking. This one kid started crying. He started to cry and the director yelled, ‘Action!’ And when they say ‘action,’ I am completely in character. So some of these kids got terrified and started to cry in the middle of the take, and then I realized, ‘Holy s–t. What am I doing? What is this? This is horrible.'”

Skarsgard later revealed that after director Andy Muschetti called cut, the actor tried his best to console the kids and reassure them that he wasn’t really a monster.

The story follows seven children in Maine who come face to face with life problems, bullies and a shape-shifting, child eating monster that most often takes the shape of a sinister clown. “IT” is slated to open around much of the world on September 8th.

Doctor Omega

“IT” Mag Covers Tease A Sinister Pennywise

it-mag-covers-tease-a-sinister-pennywise-696x464.jpg

With only two months to go before the film’s release, feature stories on the upcoming film adaptation of Stephen King’s “IT” have started to appear in long lead magazines.

Today, the cover art for the newest edition of Mad Movies along with a page from an upcoming Total Film issue have offered two new and quite different portrait shots of Bill Skarsgard in full make-up as Pennywise the Clown.

Andres Muschetti helms the new take on the horror novel about a child-eating, shape-shifting monster that haunts the town of Derry, Maine and the group of outcast kids who unite to stop it.

Warners has limited good quality shots of the clown character in the few trailers and photos released to date – these shots offer the most detailed glimpse to date. Another trailer for the film is expected sometime this month.

“IT” opens in early September.

7QLcfHv.jpg

AoTJEDj.jpg

Doctor Omega

“IT” Director Talks Freedom Of An R-Rating

real-life-clowns-upset-over-it-trailer-696x464.jpg

Speaking about his upcoming film adaptation of Stephen King’s iconic novel “IT,” filmmaker Andy Muschetti has spoken about how the film’s R-rating has given him the freedom to adapt the novel pretty faithfully.

As a result, Muschetti has been able to avoid the problems with the 1990s mini-series adaptation which was limited by content restrictions of the time. During a recent interview with French magazine Mad Movies (via Bloody Disgusting), Muschetti says:

“This is an R rated movie. I’m very happy about that because it allows us to go into very adult themes. Each ‘loser’ knows a situation of despair, on top of the terror of It and the fear of heights.

Beverly’s case is, of course, the worst, because it’s about sexual abuse on a minor. But each kid is neglected one way or the other. Bill is like a ghost in his own home: nobody sees him because his parents can’t get over Georgie’s death.

Of course, Ben is bullied at school. We don’t know much about Richie’s personality because he’s the big mouth of the group. But we suppose he’s also neglected at home, and he’s the clown of the band because he needs attention.

Long story short, there are all sorts of difficult situations, and we had the chance to tell them in a movie that faces directly those conflicts. In particular, the families of the young actors were very open-minded, so we could tell the about subjects that are normally very touchy.”

From our very first discussion with the people from New Line, it was understood that the movie was gonna be rated R. Of course, it was already crazy that they started a story revolving around the death of children.

But if you aimed for a PG-13 movie, you had nothing at the end. So we were very lucky that the producers didn’t try to stop us. In fact, it’s more our own moral compass that sometimes showed us that some things lead us in places where we didn’t want to go.”

His sister and the film’s producer Barbara Muschietti says not everything from the book will be translated. We already know the infamous gangbang scene is out, and Muschietti adds details of one other scene that didn’t make the cut:

“You won’t find the scene where a kid [a baby] has his back broken and is thrown in the toilets. We thought that the visual translation of that scene had something that was really too much.

But for the rest, we removed nothing from our original vision, and we didn’t water down the violence of any event. We believe the fans will be thankful to us for keeping that aspect of the novel in the movie.

Well, for now, none of the people who saw the screenings left the theater! I got to say we escape a lot of objections thanks to the context of the story since it’s the kids’ fear that feeds the monster.”

The next trailer for the film is expected to make its debut at Comic Con next weekend and will likely go online shortly after. The film itself is slated to open on the first week of September.

Doctor Omega

“IT” Poster, Clip Details, New Trailer Next Week

it-poster-clip-details-new-trailer-next-week-696x464.jpg

Warner Bros. Pictures has confirmed that the next trailer for their upcoming film adaptation of Stephen King’s “IT” is slated to arrive next week. Ahead of that though, the studio released a new poster.

Both the trailer and two clips from the film were screened to rave reactions. The clips focused on the kids – though one reportedly boasts a glimpse of Pennywise the clown waving at someone with the very bloody and dismembered arm of a child which he’s been nibbling on.

Additionally, the trailer is said to boast a scene with one of the kids in a shadowy room full of clown dolls – one of them turns out to be Pennywise who flashes a set of razor-sharp teeth and lunges at a character.

The film’s director Andres Muschietti confirmed at the Con that he’s returning to helm the second film which aims to begin production early next year. This first film opens in cinemas in early September.

Doctor Omega

Final Trailer: Andres Muschietti’s “IT”

pennywise-696x464.jpg

Anticipation was high when the first trailer for Andres Muschietti’s film adaptation of Stephen King’s “IT” arrived. Even so, it was a surprise when the very effective preview blew past “Star Wars,” Marvel and other blockbusters to become the most watched movie trailer in its first day of release with 197 million views.

A few weeks later the MTV Movie Awards premiered an extended clip combined with a mini-trailer, but otherwise, there has literally been no other clips from the film. That is actually good thing as it has been keeping anticipation high and hasn’t spoiled much.

Today, Warners has released the full and final trailer for the film – the first of a confirmed two-film adaptation of one of King’s most famous work of pure horror.

The story follows seven children in Maine who come face to face with life problems, bullies and a shape shifting, child eating monster that most often takes the shape of a sinister clown named Pennywise (Bill Skarsgard).

The new trailer finally offers a glimpse at the one final question mark that has been hanging over the film – what does Bill Skarsgard’s Pennywise the Clown sound like? With the exception of giggling and screaming, the character has been mute in the other trailers. Not so here, even if it is only one line.

Finn Wolfhard, Wyatt Oleff, Nicholas Hamilton, Sophia Lillis, Jaeden Lieberher, Owen Teague, Jeremy Ray Taylor, Jack Dylan Grazer, and Chosen Jacobs co-star in “IT” which is slated to open on September 8th around much of the world.

Doctor Omega

Lots Of Details On The “IT” Adaptation

lots-of-details-on-the-it-adaptation-696x464.jpg

In the wake of the final trailer release of “IT” this week, a bunch of set visit reports and quotes from the film’s cast and crew have gone online. The various pieces answer some questions about what has and hasn’t made it into this adaptation of the Stephen King novel.

Producer Barbara Muschietti says that the massacre at The Black Spot sequence was in the script but they couldn’t pull it off with their budget. As a result, they’ve reconfigured it to serve as the opening for the second film.

Director Andres Muschietti also went into detail about two scenes cut purely for budgetary reasons:

“There are two sequences that I thought of that I had to postpone until more money comes. One is a flashback, that sort of portrays the first encounter of It and humans, which is an amazing scene. And the other is a dream, where Bill sees – he’s leaning on a bridge, in Derry, and he’s spitting on the Kenduskeag Stream, and suddenly he sees the reflection of a balloon. And he looks up and it’s not one balloon, but a bunch of balloons, and then he starts to see body parts, and the shot goes wider and it’s a multitude of dead kids floating. I couldn’t afford it.”

One thing that has been deliberately cut is the whole cosmic mythology with the Turtle. There are easter egg tributes to it though, including a LEGO turtle who has a presence in key moments of the story. Same goes for the giant spider form of IT which is not being used here.

They go sparingly with Pennywise the Clown, using him “as little as we possibly can” so that when he does appear in clown form (mostly in the third act) it has an impact. They briefly did consider Tilda Swinton for the role and had a conversation with the previously cast Will Poulter at points, but both had scheduling conflicts.

They ultimately scored Bill Skarsgard who dons a number of different voices depending on his persona. Muschietti says the biggest changes made to Cary Fukunaga’s version of the script is that they’ve emphasised the shape-shifting nature of the character.

With the sequel, though the adults will come into it there will be plenty of stuff with the kids as well as Muschietti says:

“I always insisted that if there is a second part, there would be a dialogue between the two timelines, and that it would be approached like the adult life of the losers, there would be flashbacks that sort of illuminate events that are not told in the first one.”

He also confirms they did not shoot those flashbacks while they filmed the first part. The first film is designed to function as a standalone movie with no cliffhangers or unnecessary teases beyond one of the final scenes setting the stage for the second part.

They did do as much of the effects as they could practically with very little CG. This includes the blood geyser scene in Bev’s bathroom which was all practical.

They also don’t over emphasise the nostalgic in the 1980s setting, saying the deliberately avoided a Spielberg, Joe Dante and “Stranger Things”-style feel for something more toned down.

“IT” opens in cinemas on September 8th.

Doctor Omega

“IT” Films To Run Longer Than Mini-Series

it-films-to-run-longer-than-mini-series-696x464.jpg

The British Board of Film Classification has announced that Andy Muschietti’s “IT,” the upcoming first of a two-film adaptation of the iconic Stephen King novel, has a runtime of 135 minutes.

The previous mini-series adaptation in 1990 ran 192 minutes, but the new “IT” film is essentially only half the book with a second film due to shoot early next year. That film will deal with the other half in which the kids have become adults (though there are expected to be flashback scenes with the same kids).

Barring the unexpected, the second film will have to clock in at no less than 85 minutes and more likely closer to the two-hour mark which would mean the pair together would run longer than the original mini-series by up to an hour.

Clocking in at 1,140 pages, the book is one of King’s larger works and so any adaptation needs a serious runtime to cover it. This marks a welcome change for King fans who have expressed nerves over the release this week of “The Dark Tower” which adapts King’s eight-novel saga into a 95-minute film.

Doctor Omega

Making Pennywise Weird Is The Key To “IT”

making-pennywise-weird-is-the-key-to-it-696x464.jpg

The trailers released to date for Andres Muschietti’s film adaptation of Stephen King’s “IT” have downplayed dialogue scenes with Pennywise the Clown which has left people curious as to how it will unfold.

Subsequent TV spots since have answered that question a bit. An extended scene which aired with “Annabelle: Creation” this week showed off much of the film’s famous ‘storm drain’ scene and gave us a great idea of where actor Bill Skarsgard is going with the character – namely somewhere walking that line between playful and deeply unnerving.

Skarsgard himself tells EW that his character will default to the clown shape mostly for its own amusement: “It truly enjoys the shape of the clown Pennywise, and enjoys the game and the hunt. What’s funny to this evil entity might not be funny to everyone else. But he thinks it’s funny.”

Muschietti says there’s a key to the character and that’s unpredictability because he is a character you can’t keep in the shadows – he’s there: “Keep it weird. It’s weird all the time. Pennywise does things that make absolutely no sense, but they’re very disturbing because of the weirdness. He is present. It’s not like one of those movies where you can hide the monster. He’s front and center, he does his show, and he has an act. He is a clown.”

That can be seen in the storm drain scene where the clown is playful but at one point pauses, a bit of drool comes out and his eyes glaze over with hunger as the temptation of eating the young Georgie peers out from behind his happy facade trying to lure the kid into the drain. He quickly catches himself and then keeps pushing the kid to reach out for his boat.

The scene cuts off right before the big moment, but a set photo posted the other month suggest they are ‘going there’ with that infamous opening chapter from the books.

“IT” is coming to cinemas September 8th 2017.

Doctor Omega

“IT” Tracking For $50M Opening Weekend

it-tracking-for-50m-opening-weekend-696x464.jpg

The R-rated film adaptation of Stephen King’s “IT” is tracking for an opening of over $50 million which, if it holds, would be the biggest September opening of all time.

To date, “Hotel Transylvania 2” has held the biggest September opening record with $48 million. Warners insiders are more cautious, saying a $40-$45 million opening due to the rating, time of year and the recently very sluggish box-office.

Andres Muschietti helms the film which follows seven children who are terrorized by a being that exploits the fears of its victims, most often taking the form of a clown (Bill Skarsgard) in order to lure young children into the sewer.

Chase Palmer, Cary Fukunaga and Gary Dauberman penned the script.