News Indiana Jones 5 : IN DEVELOPMENT

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
On March 15, 2016, Walt Disney Studios announced that the fifth film will be released on July 19, 2019, with Ford reprising his role, Spielberg directing, Koepp writing and Kennedy and Marshall acting as producers. George Lucas was initially not going to be involved with the film. However, during a press event for Disney's The BFG, Spielberg confirmed that Lucas will be returning as executive producer, stating "I would never make an Indiana Jones film without George Lucas. That'd be insane." Marshall has stated that the film would be a continuation of the events following Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. On June 9, 2016, Spielberg confirmed that John Williams will be returning to compose the score.

... and for our next release of something that has earned it's place in our memories and should be left well enough alone, we'd like to announce the return of Jaws. Starring the ghost of the original shark and being fought by the ghosts of Roy Scheider and Robert Shaw! Cause that'll be a box-office blast for sure!!!!

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
They should have left well enough alone. Had they really wanted to do a sequel, they should have done it much sooner. Also, they should have learned that straying from the Nazi/religious artifact formula doesn't work as was the case with TEMPLE OF DOOM (I know YOUNG INDIANA JONES went off the path, but for the movies, it works better in that setting). The aliens? Soviets? Refrigerators? Nay, good sir.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Fifth Indiana Jones film moved to 2020

The release date for the fifth Indiana Jones film has been put back to 10 July 2020 - three days before star Harrison Ford celebrates his 78th birthday.

The as yet untitled film had been set for release in July 2019, but will now appear in cinemas one year later.

Disney has also confirmed that the third film in its current Star Wars trilogy will arrive on 24 May 2019.

A new version of The Lion King will be released on 19 July 2019, while Frozen 2 will arrive on 27 November that year.

The fifth Indiana Jones film will arrive 39 years after the original instalment - Raiders of the Lost Ark - and 12 years on from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Ford, now 74, was 65 when Crystal Skull, the most recent instalment in the action adventure franchise, was released in May 2008.

Age has never been a concern for the Steven Spielberg-directed series though. After all, Sir Sean Connery played Indiana's dad in the third film despite being Ford's senior by just 12 years.

The May release date of Star Wars: Episode IX - to be directed by Jurassic World's Colin Trevorrow - is notable given that the most recent Star Wars films were both released in December.

The same applies to Star Wars: The Last Jedi - aka Episode VIII - which will arrive in cinemas in December this year.

Elsewhere in Disney's plans, Jon Favreau's live-action version of The Lion King will see Donald Glover play lead lion Simba and James Earl Jones voice his father Mufasa.

And the sequel to the hit animation Frozen will arrive six years after the original.

Reactions: Hux

Hux

Member: Rank 6
I don't blame Ford for cashing in on his greatest hits (Star Wars, Indie, Blade Runner) given it can't be that easy finding interesting new roles when you're in your 70s but I fear the reputations of each of them are being tarnished.

Doctor Omega

LaBeouf’s Mutt Isn’t In “Indiana Jones 5”

labeoufs-mutt-isnt-in-indiana-jones-5-696x464.jpg

We’re still three years away from its currently scheduled release date, but there has been some preliminary work done on a fifth “Indiana Jones” film and screenwriter David Koepp has offered a brief update on the project’s status.

Talking to EW, Koepp has confirmed that Shia LaBeouf’s character Mutt Williams, who was introduced in the previous film “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull,” will not be returning for the next entry:

“Harrison plays Indiana Jones, that I can certainly say… and the Shia LaBeouf character is not in the film. We’re plugging away at it. In terms of when we would start, I think that’s up to Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Ford… I know we’ve got a script we’re mostly happy with. Work will be endless, of course, and ongoing, and Steven just finished shooting The Post… If the stars align, hopefully it’ll be his next film.”

Asked what the goal of the new film will be, Keopp plays it coy – simply saying: “Some precious artifact that they’re all looking for.” Disney does plan on continuing the franchise beyond the fifth installment, though whether it will be a reboot is unclear at this point.

Steven Spielberg directed all four previous films and is expected back for the fifth as well, while Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall will produce.

Doctor Omega

Spielberg Has “Indiana Jones 5” & “West” Next

spielberg-has-indiana-jones-5-west-next-696x464.jpg

With “The Post” on the awards circuit and “Ready Player One” wrapping up production, filmmaker Steven Spielberg is turning his attention towards his ‘To Do’ list to look at potential next directorial efforts.

Deadline reports that both a fifth “Indiana Jones” and a remake of the classic 1961 musical “West Side Story” are hotly tipped to be his next films.

Spielberg has reportedly been considering Chris Pratt to star alongside Harrison Ford in the fifth movie about the archaeologist action hero. David Koepp has been set to pen the script and while there is a 2020 release date set, it’s not yet set in stone.

Frequent Spielberg collaborator Tony Kushner has been working on the script for “West Side Story” which would be a modern version of the Laurents, Bernstein and Sondheim musical and the first time Spielberg has done that genre. It is apparently a passion project of his that has long been in development.

Another project he was linked to, “The Kidnapping Of Edgardo Mortara,” has fallen to the curb after a casting call for the young lead turned up no results leaving the aforementioned two films the only ones he’s slated to direct at present.

Gavin

VIP
12 years on from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
Wow I hadn't realised that Crystal Skull was quite so long ago (already coming up on 10 years).

Spielberg has reportedly been considering Chris Pratt to star alongside Harrison Ford in the fifth movie about the archaeologist action hero.
Sounds like they're still looking to set up a character that can continue the series after Harrison Ford. Shia LeBeouf didn't work out so let's move on to the latest "big name".

Doctor Omega

“Indiana Jones 5” Is Next For Spielberg

indiana-jones-5-is-next-for-spielberg-696x464.jpg

Earlier today came news of a casting call going out for Steven Spielberg’s planned remake of the classic 1961 musical “West Side Story”.

The call followed on from a report last week which indicated that with “Ready Player One” effectively finished up beyond some final bits of polishing, Spielberg was deciding between either a fifth “Indiana Jones” or the “West Side Story” remake (his first musical) as his next directorial effort.

With that casting call going out, it appeared as if ‘West Side’ would be going first. Turns out though that’s not the case as THR reports that the new “Indiana Jones” is happening first and with good reason.

Spielberg was previously attached to direct the true story drama “The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara,” but that project fell by the wayside after an extensive casting search over the space of several years failed to turn up someone suitable. It now looks like ‘West Side’ going forward is also contingent on finding the right cast.

Spielberg and his casting director Cindy Tolan are reportedly looking to cast unknowns for the four lead roles (one white, three Hispanic) of Tony, Maria, Anita and Bernardo. That means an extensive search for mostly Latino actors and actresses of a relatively young age, a process which is going to take time.

The trade adds that Spielberg plans to shoot the fifth Indy in 2019 with a goal of having it released in 2020.

Doctor Omega

Fifth “Indiana Jones” To Film April 2019

fifth-indiana-jones-to-film-in-april-2019-696x464.jpg

Appearing at the Empire Awards last night, director Steven Spielberg confirmed that Lucasfilm’s fifth “Indiana Jones” movie will begin shooting in the United Kingdom in April next year.

That would match with the July 20th 2020 release date that the project set a while back. The film sees Spielberg teaming up with Harrison Ford, who is reprising his iconic role, along with franchise regulars like producers Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall and writer David Koepp. Speaking at the awards, Spielberg said:

“It’s always worth the trip when I get to work with this deep bench of talent coming out of the UK. The actors, and the crew, the chippies, the sparks, the drivers – everybody who has helped me make my movies here, and will continue helping me make my movies here when I come back in April 2019 to make the fifth Indiana Jones movie right here.”

The four previous films have brought in nearly $2 billion at the global box office and this fifth one reportedly won’t be the last in the series despite Ford’s advancing age.

Doctor Omega

Spielberg Confirms “Indy 5” Is Ford’s Last

spielberg-confirms-indy-5-is-fords-last-696x464.jpg

“Ready Player One” director Steven Spielberg is still out doing press for “Ready Player One” and will take a breather before prepping his next film – the fifth chapter in the “Indiana Jones” franchise.

Speaking with The Sun, he confirmed one expected fact – this will be Harrison Ford’s last time slipping on the iconic hat and whip: “This will be Harrison Ford’s last Indiana Jones movie, I am pretty sure, but it will certainly continue after that.”

Spielberg was also asked the possibility of Indiana Jones being played by a woman, to which he seemed open to the idea: “We’d have to change the name from Jones to Joan. And there would be nothing wrong with that.”

Filming on the new film kicks off next April for a July 2020 release. Also returning are Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshal who will produce and David Koepp who will write.

Gavin

VIP
“We’d have to change the name from Jones to Joan. And there would be nothing wrong with that.”
Because a female can't have Jones as a surname? Grace & Catherine Zeta- (amoung many others) might have something to say about that. And I'm pretty sure Indiana isn't a gender specific name. Henry Jnr might be an issue though.

Doctor Omega

Marshall On Lucas-Free “Indiana Jones 5”

marshall-on-lucas-free-indiana-jones-5-696x464.jpg

Speaking a decade after the release of Steven Spielberg’s “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull,” series producer Frank Marshall confirmed this week that the upcoming fifth film in the Harrison Ford-led adventure series will bring back the global scope of the original three films.

Speaking with Coming Soon, Marshall confirmed that a sort of ‘writers room’ is forming to advise on the sequel which will shoot in international locations (‘Crystal Skull’ was shot almost entirely in the U.S.). Jonathan Kasdan was recently announced to take over scripting duties on the film, replacing Spielberg mainstay David Koepp and Marshall also confirms he’s the ‘lead’ writer.

Asked about doing an Indiana Jones movie without George Lucas and how it changes things, he says:

I love being with George and having his input, but life changes and we’re moving on. He moved on. We’re very respectful of the original intentions of the movie, certainly Harrison’s character. The serialization of what the original intention was. I’d love to have George there. I love being around George and working with him, obviously. It’ll be a little different, because the ideas are coming from a different place now.”

The new film is scheduled to open on July 9th 2021 and this time it’s definitely set to be Harrison Ford’s last film in the role.

Doctor Omega

Agreed. how can this fifth film end up as anything but an embarrassing whimper?

And any "handing of the torch" to a younger person would be obvious and lame too.

I think they just about got away with the SKULL movie... But ye Gods! Stop!

After FORCE AWAKENS and BR2049, Harrison just seems to want to shamelessly cash in on his iconic roles too. One last financial clean up.

Doctor Omega

Ford Offers Brief “Indiana Jones 5” Update

ford-offers-brief-indiana-jones-5-update-696x464.jpg

Appearing at the SAG-AFTRA Foundation this week where he was honored with an Artists Inspiration Award, actor Harrison Ford spoke briefly with Variety who asked him about the status of the fifth “Indiana Jones” film.

The film was recently pushed back to July 2021 following Disney’s plan to go in a new direction with the script. Sadly Ford didn’t add much, saying: “We’ve got a script in production that we are all very excited about, and [I’m] looking forward to it.”

The trade also got in a question about the potential casting of Chris Pratt in the role. Pratt’s name has been thrown up as a possible replacement for Ford by fans for a few years now but when Ford was asked he walked away semi-amused saying: “I think it’s him or me.”