Review House of Dracula (1945)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
GQWWEG.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie.....

Count Dracula and the Wolf Man seek cures for their afflictions; a hunchbacked woman, a mad scientist and Frankenstein's Monster have their own troubles.

On to the next DRACULA, FRANKENSTEIN and WOLF MAN movie.....

ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN.....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/abbott-and-costello-meet-frankenstein-1948.4346/

Back to the previous DRACULA, FRANKENSTEIN and WOLF MAN movie.....

HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN.......

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/house-of-frankenstein-1944.2101/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I really like this one.

It is the last gasp of the Universal Monster cycle before it threw up it's arms and decided that, instead of making unintentionally funny films, it would make an intentionally funny one. And thus was born ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN.

But this is where many people like to call it a day canon wise. If only to give Larry Talbot the peace he so deserved, a peace that would be undone by those two comedians.

I also think Onslow Stevens is excellent as Doctor Edelmann. One feels compassion for the man who was, after all, only trying to do his best to help the damned!

The hunchbacked nurse is a nice twist too.

The monster does next to nothing again of course.

A daftly entertaining gem that is short enough not to outstay it's silly welcome.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I love both House of Frankenstein and House of Dracula, and technically, this is the stronger of the two films (the other is rated higher by me personally only due to Karloff's inclusion). Both movies suffer greatly - as I think I've stated before here - by the fact that there are too many monsters for the short run time. No one really gets a cohesive story, although this one does it better than the first. It really is a nice bookend for the Universal Monsters.

And I do still love Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein. I just tell myself it's not canon, but a separate universe, and it makes it all better.

Doctor Omega

Cast notes:

• Lon Chaney Jr. had played the Wolf Man in all three of Universal's previous films about the character, and Glenn Strange had played the Monster once before, in House of Frankenstein.

• House of Dracula was Lon Chaney's last film under contract to Universal, which released him from his contract afterwards, although he returned to play the Wolf Man again in the 1948 comedy Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

• Jane Adams's character, Nina, is a hunchback and was billed as one of the monsters in the film, but in fact, her character is portrayed sympathetically, and the use of an attractive actress to play an otherwise misshapen individual is notable for the time.

• Lionel Atwill, familiar to horror movie fans from his performances in 1932's Doctor X, The Vampire Bat, and Mystery of the Wax Museum (both 1933) and many others, was ill during filming of House of Dracula, and died of cancer less than five months after the release of the film.

Production
The working titles for the film were Dracula vs. the Wolf Man or The Wolf Man vs. Dracula.

Although Glenn Strange appears as the Monster in most of the film, footage of Chaney as the Monster from The Ghost of Frankenstein and Boris Karloff from Bride of Frankenstein was recycled; Karloff appears in a dream sequence, while Chaney, as well as his double Eddie Parker, are seen in footage in a fire scene.

Strange recounts that a scene with the Monster stuck in quicksand was particularly arduous for him.

On top of three hours of getting into makeup, Strange spent the rest of the day buried in cold sand, including during the lunch break, and was so cold by midafternoon that he could barely feel his legs.

Lon Chaney Jr. attempted to help Strange keep warm by passing him a bottle of scotch, with the result that Strange was so drunk that after getting out of costume and makeup, he had difficulty dressing himself in his street clothes.

Chaney's drinking contributed to his reputation as being difficult to work with, and probably was the reason Universal let him go after the film was completed